Hour Meter [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hour Meter

Arc45
03-14-2005, 01:13 PM
I have been considering adding an Hour Meter to my tube amp to keep track of the Tube Hours. The 6550 C's have a "life" of around 2000 hours. I know of no way to gauge that number easily thus the question.

Anyone done this mod?

hermanv
03-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Perhaps I am being naive but it seems that end of tube life is either when the bias adjustment can no longer be kept in the manufacturers recomended range or when the sound quality has decreased to the point where the owner finds it offensive. It doesn't really matter if this is 10 hours or 10,000 hours.

Tube life is determined by how often they are turned on and off and how hard they are operated. No amplifier damage will occur if tubes are operated past the recomended life rating, that number is just a rough guide.

If you are anything like many audiophiles you will have tried 4 different brands of tubes long before the hours are up anyway. :D

risabet
03-14-2005, 06:08 PM
I have been considering adding an Hour Meter to my tube amp to keep track of the Tube Hours. The 6550 C's have a "life" of around 2000 hours. I know of no way to gauge that number easily thus the question.

Anyone done this mod?

This hobby is obsessive enough, just keep general track of the hours, about is good enough in the case of tube life. Besides, hermanv is right. The tubes won't be around at the end of their life anyway,