Best Scenes for Surround Sound....?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Scenes for Surround Sound....??

MCF
03-14-2005, 05:37 AM
Setting up my first home theatre. Anyone know some really defined scenes to experience sorround sound (sensation of something behind you or coming in from behind you)?

ruadmaa
03-14-2005, 07:05 AM
Setting up my first home theatre. Anyone know some really defined scenes to experience sorround sound (sensation of something behind you or coming in from behind you)?

In the movie "The Shadow" there is a sequence where the shadow is confusing the bad guys saying something like I'm here, I'm there, and this goes on for a while each time coming out of a different speaker and finally comes out of all speakers when he says he is everywhere. This is quite an effictive use of surround sound.

Worf101
03-14-2005, 10:21 AM
1. "Saving Private Ryan" - Opening sequence at Normandy.

2. "Gladiator" - Opening barrage scene in Gaul.

3. "U571" - Depth Charge scene.

4. "Star Wars Episode II" - Lots of good 5.1 there...

5. "The Ring" - Really show's you if your system can handle more than just "explosions".

Da Worfster

paul_pci
03-14-2005, 10:21 AM
If I'm remembering this correctly, the opening sequence to Gladiator has the horse-mounted army galloping across the screen. Not only is it a good test of surround sound, but more importantly, it would be a good test of seamless imaging across the speakers, meaning the sound doesn't seem like it's jumping from speaker to speaker, but rather moving seamlessly across a produced sound field.

topspeed
03-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Master and Commander has some really cool effects. With all the creaking panels, bells randomly ringing, etc., you really feel like you're on the boat.

LEAFS264
03-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Black hawk down
Gladiator
Star wars Episode I.....final Light Saber Battle

xmax
03-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Star Wars Chapter 28 @ the layer change over. This is the asteroid scene and reproduces lots of side and rear surround panning effects.

Geoffcin
03-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Master and Commander has some really cool effects. With all the creaking panels, bells randomly ringing, etc., you really feel like you're on the boat.

From the very opening second of this movie the surround effect is put to good use. Creaking panels and ghostly bells are only the start. When the first engagment with the Acheron happens you have a real visceral feeling of cannon fire and shrapnel flying all across the room. The only thing missing is the smell of black powder!