future shop extended warranty [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : future shop extended warranty

LEAFS264
03-13-2005, 07:37 PM
I just purchased a Toshiba 52" DLP model 52HM84, fron Future shop. And the sales man was trying to get me to buy into their extended warranty. Five years for 519.00Cdn. And of course i said "no thanks". But after the paper work was done he offered ot at half price and told me to think about it over the next couple of days.
Now my question is.... Is it worth it??? Should i get it??? I understand that Insurance is just that.....insurance. But there is only so many things that can go wrong with a T.V right?
What to do?

kexodusc
03-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Wow, that seems really high. My extended warranty was $110 cdn for my new Toshiba 51" RPTV, 4 years additional, with annual visits and maintenance etc.

I hate to be the one to say that most extended warranties are cash cows for companies, with less than 20% of revenue going back to paying for repair work, and most repairs being cheaper than the cost of the extended warranty, because as soon as I do say that, your TV will fail a month after original warranty expires.

Did you buy it with a credit card? Some credit cards have "built-in" extended warranties for electronics purchased etc...this might negate the value of the extended warranty.

I'd be pretty ticked that he offered you a 50% discount on the warranty after the fact...I'd ask him if he would have just pocketed the other $250 if you said yes then and there? He might be guilted into giving you an even better price...I've used this very strategy with success. (actually it was first used against me when I was selling cars back in my College days, so I can't take credit for it).

Good luck.

LEAFS264
03-14-2005, 11:13 AM
No, i purchased it with my future shop card. 0 percent for 3 years. The price was 3299.00 plus tax.
So you think that 250.00 for 5years is high? Me too. I don't think i'll be getting the extra warranty.
Thanks

Jay.

kexodusc
03-14-2005, 11:21 AM
LEAFS264:

I think you should take some time and think about this though...how long have DLP's been on the market? What's the most common problem? What's the usual repair costs...this isn't a small purchase. Might be worth the extra insurance...

Or, maybe you could just put the $250 into a TV repair fund, and take your chances...I'm sure not all DLP's fail in 5 years, so maybe you'd be further ahead.

Personally, I'm not sold on extended warranties, but if they're cheap enough, I'll get them.

LEAFS264
03-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Well they have 2,3,4and 5 year plans. Maybe i should get one of the the 3 or 4 year instead of the 5.
It will be cheeper and give me a little piece of mind.

Jay.

PAT.P
03-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Well they have 2,3,4and 5 year plans. Maybe i should get one of the the 3 or 4 year instead of the 5.
It will be cheeper and give me a little piece of mind.

Jay.
I bought a pair of JBL E10 wall speaker for basement on sale ( $80.00 off ) and they gave me a JBL PB8 power sub bottom woofer for free ( retail $ 299.00 ) in this case I took the extended warranty .They gave me the warranty for 9 years ,the E10 was $29.99 and the sub for 9 years was only $ 9.99 very good in my case dont you think? I always take the extented warranty if I buy something a reduce price .Pat.P :)

McFly
03-15-2005, 12:03 PM
In most cases, extended warrenty is a rip-off and cash cow for the companies offering them. If you live in western Canada, buy your electronics from Visions. They also offer extended warrenty and they are not only the cheapest around, but if you buy the warrenty and don't ever use it, you get 100% of that money back in store credit. Yes, I know you have to use it in the store, but you still get it back non-the-less. I think that it is a good option, and I have bought it on everything that I buy from the store (with the exception of cheap MP3 players or something like that). But on a big-screen, it is definatly worth it.