Anyone know of Epson LCD TVs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of Epson LCD TVs?

Breezer88888
03-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Hello out there,

I need help with review info on an Epson LS57P2 (57 inch LCD). The picture in the store (a reputable one at that) looked great and at $2800 with the stand after a lot of negotiation, I don't know if I should resist. My first concern is the brand - there are no reviews in Audio Review on Epson. Does anyone have info on this LCD?

Thanks,
Breezer

paul_pci
03-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Here's a review from CNET:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Epson_LS57P2/4505-6484_7-31210666.html

edtyct
03-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Breezer, the CNET review should help. I haven't read it. But check your private messages. I sent some information to you about the P2's predecessor that might be helpful in conjunction with CNET's comments.

Ed

Breezer88888
03-14-2005, 05:30 AM
You guys are a credit to Audio Review

Really, thanks for passing along that Epson PS2 info. It is definitely helpful. It boils down to dollars and sense at this point. Epson has a $200 rebate, their stand is included in the deal, a separate HD tuner, AND there's a platform attachment to the top of the set to allow for my center channel (9 inch tall Infinity IL36c - which won't fit most stands). I'm trying really hard to isolate my judgement on picture quality - but I've been spinning my wheels on this decision for some (LCD vs DLP is still killing me, almost as much as the incompetent sales people you come across).

One more note. I don't think there's a standard for contrast ratios, so should I be concerned with the extremely low ratio of 800:1 indicated by Epson's spec sheet? The Samsung HLP5674W (dlp sneaking in again) brags a 2000:1 ratio.

Again, thanks for all your helpful feedback.
Breezer

edtyct
03-14-2005, 06:42 AM
You guys are a credit to Audio Review

Really, thanks for passing along that Epson (#) PS2 info. It is definitely helpful. It boils down to dollars and sense at this point. Epson has a $200 rebate, their stand is included in the deal, a separate HD tuner, AND there's a platform attachment to the top of the set to allow for my center channel (#) (9 inch tall Infinity IL36c - which won't fit most stands). I'm trying really hard to isolate my judgement on picture quality - but I've been spinning my wheels on this decision for some (LCD vs DLP is still killing me, almost as much as the incompetent sales people you come across).

One more note. I don't think there's a standard for contrast ratios, so should I be concerned with the extremely low ratio of 800:1 indicated by Epson's spec sheet? The Samsung (#) HLP5674W (dlp sneaking in again) brags a 2000:1 ratio.

Again, thanks for all your helpful feedback.
Breezer
Breezer,

The bulk of this post is in your private message box, but I thought I'd deposit it here as well. You can almost forget (almost) the contrast ratio specs. Manufacturers find ways of turning them to their favor. A set with poor black can be listed with a good contrast ratio if it overdrives white. More important with all of the microdisplays is to check for depth of black. Use a dark screen with scrolling credits, a night scene, a suit that you know is dark, etc., to see whether you like what you see--preferably in a darkened, or semidarkened, room. Check, if you can, for shadow detail as well; sets that crush black into a monolithic oil slick can be frustrating. Also, sets that cannot resolve subtle gradations of color or black in backgrounds can give you fits. These days, this flaw usually shows up only on images with low light levels. I don't think that the Epson has it.

LCDs as a rule have the least dramatic blacks, because light always leaks onto the screen. DLPs are more successful, because they block light better. CRTs are the best, because when a scene calls for no light, light is completely extinguished, without the need for the kind of barrier against a constant source of illumination. From what I read, the Epson is extraordinarily good in that respect for an LCD, meaning that contrast should not be a problem.

Ed<!-- / message -->