Need more bass [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need more bass

invstbiker
03-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Hello, I have two JBL 100's powered by a Phase Linear 400 amp and a YS Audio Symphonies Plus tube pre-amp using 3 12AX7M tubes. The preamp has volume and balance only controls. No adjustment for bass or treble. I've moved the speakers around and while they sound great, I could use a little more bass. Any ideas from you "gurus" out there? THX :)

ruadmaa
03-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Hello, I have two JBL 100's powered by a Phase Linear 400 amp and a YS Audio Symphonies Plus tube pre-amp using 3 12AX7M tubes. The preamp has volume and balance only controls. No adjustment for bass or treble. I've moved the speakers around and while they sound great, I could use a little more bass. Any ideas from you "gurus" out there? THX :)

Why not simply add a powered subwoofer???

This Guy
03-13-2005, 05:53 PM
what he said^

invstbiker
03-13-2005, 05:54 PM
I think that would work, I'm a little miffed as to how to hook it up with a stereo signal. What would be the correct way to hook it up. THX

invstbiker
03-13-2005, 06:04 PM
My system is only two channel

Manimal
03-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Simply run a line signal from your preamp from the sub.

Check to see if your preamp actually has a "sub out" if not, get 2 Y splitter cables. Off of each splitter, run one to your power amp and one to the sub.

Mr Peabody
03-14-2005, 07:02 PM
If you want to use a sub you'd have to Y off the preamp with one side to the sub and the other back to the amp.

I'm not familiar with the entire line of Phase Linear but if yours was one made under Bob Carver's designs that is your weak link. Look to upgrade it with a high current solid state. You can get an Adcom used for a reasonable price. Adcom to me also seems to have a bass hump you might enjoy.

BRANDONH
03-15-2005, 07:07 AM

This will do it:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/181820/
* Aural Exciter:
* Increased presence and clarity
* Restore natural brightness
* Greater perceived loudness
* Improved detail and intelligibility

Big Bottom:
* Deeper, more resonant bass
* Little or no increase in peak output
* Tighter bass articulation
* Extended low frequencies