And I got something that wasn't a ripoff [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : And I got something that wasn't a ripoff

paul_pci
03-13-2005, 11:50 AM
I've been meaning to do something serious about my room acoustics lately, as I am in a highly reflective room, and I did just that. I went to Guitar Center and bought an Auralex acoustical absorption panel (4'X2'). For $20, I got one to test out placement, etc, plus all they had was charcoal gray; it sure is an ugly thing. My preliminary analysis is that it works great. Over time, I've become more and more aware of how the reflections are muddying the sound field. My set up is in a large bedroom: 16' (where my equipment is) X 10' (where I sit). I'm right up against a wall, so I figured that would be the best place to start. So, I mounted (somewhat unsuccessfully) the absorption panel right behind and a little above my head. I hope this isn't my imagination but, the sound field in the room sounded much more defined and clean. I could better distinguish between sounds and where they were coming from, both in stereo music and basic surround television programming. As I have a 7'X3' area behind me, my plan is to order two of these panels in brown, which looks more like a beige color, and what I estimate will be the least ugly way to go. The downside right now, is mounting it. Auralex provides a spray adhesive, for another $20, but that's for more permanant mounting. And everyone in town was out of their "temp mounts" which I'm also going to have to order. Trying to use tape (not scotch) was a mixed bag. All in all, I've found a cheap improvement, albeit because my room is so reflective.