So what's music to you? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So what's music to you?

Kaboom
03-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Here we are. discussing 15k amps and 4k cabling, all of that to listen to one little thing... MUSIC.
so what's music to you? what does it mean? why do you listen to it?
i'll chime in a while later, when some people have posted an answer
cheers!

risabet
03-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Here we are. discussing 15k amps and 4k cabling, all of that to listen to one little thing... MUSIC.
cheers!

Music is a way for me to interact with people, their times, and their emotions in ways that I never could in real life. Listening to a cantata by JS Bach opens up his world to me, his beliefs. The same happens when I hear <i>A Love Supreme</i> by Coltrane, his power and his spirituality are manifest. To retrieve these feelings is why I spend the $ for this hobby. I could go on but I think my point is made. I listen to music to capture the emotion and power of the composer and the performer.

Wireworm5
03-12-2005, 07:20 PM
I think music is an acquired taste. Sure there are songs that most people would agree are good songs. That is where it ends however, for no one I know likes everything that I like nor do I like everything they like. And we are not likely to appreciate the same elements of a songs that we agree are good.
I can listen to music I like low-fi or hi-fi system, but heaing music with detail and clarity is almost intoxicating to me. Music that appeals to me gives me peace of mind, vitality and connects me to my spiritual self.
Music that I don't fine appealing whether it sounds good in hi-fi or not I get no pleasure from. If all music failed to stimulate me I wouldn't waste time listening to it.

gonefishin
03-13-2005, 05:48 AM
(for me) music is an emotional response to sound. It can be on the radio, on a hifi system in a church...at a concert...or even in the dead silence of the night when your listening to sounds, when you thought just moments ago there was only silence.

Your question says it all...
what's music to you?

For each of us it may be something different (or perhaps similar)

take care,
dan

franklinpross
03-13-2005, 11:47 AM
cheers!

kaboom:

I'm probably 3 times older than you but all of my life I've been in love with music.

All kinds of music. Rap. Rock. Stravinsky. Beethovan. Mozart. Rogers and Hammerstein.

Sondheim. Arlen. Gershwin.Maynard Ferguson. Woody Herman. Stan Getz. Miles Davis.

It doesn't really matter what you listen to. The one thing that matters is that it's

good.

I've always liked up-tempo music. And I've always liked the music LOUD.

When I was 12, I got the bug with speakers, cartridges and the like.

On lp's, I would seek out Red Seal, or Masterworks because they were, by and large,

SOUND SPECTACULARS, if you know what I mean.

HOW the music sounded always turned me on. I remember, I was trying to get the

thing so distortion-free, back in those days.

Anyway, music makes me feel happy when I'm feeling low. Music puts it ALL into

perspective. Music, played back, even on a medium-hot set-up, can really make life

worth while again.

It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing . . . . . . .

Quagmire
03-13-2005, 01:19 PM
To me, music is a mirror to the soul. It only has meaning if it resonates within. It is a reflection of who we are and who we want to be. That is why music can be so many different things to so many different people; and why some music speaks to one person yet has no meaning for another. We find ourselves in the music that we listen to.

Q

jamison
03-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Music to me is relaxing to the soul, it also is history, I can remember where i was when i heard longtime favorite songs for the first time. I prefer hifi, but lo fi is better to me than NO FI.

I love it when I wake up to the radio alarm in the morning and one of my favorite songs is just starting. I just know it will be a good day when that happens

Manimal
03-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Music to me, very simply, is anything in a rhythm that sounds good to the ears.

Worf101
03-14-2005, 09:28 AM
The O.G's used to say "blues is blood" and I have to kinda agree. Music to me is life, I not only listen to it but play it on weekends for love and money. It's so inextricably entertwined in my existence if I were to go deaf I'm not sure what I'd do.... I won't discuss my home audio gear but I'll list my musical gear. I've been playing bass for money since the Nixon administration (off and on of course since life does interfere.

Axes
1. 1968 Fender Jazz bass.
2. 1968 Gibson Les Paul Recording bass.
3. 1997 Ken Smith "Churck Rainey" CR5-J
4. 1975 Rennaisance Plexiglass Bass.
5. Late 90's Ibanez 5 string.

Amps.
1. Old Traynor practice amp.
2. Mesa Boogie M'Pulse 600 head.
3. SWR Goliath Junior III with 2 -10 inchers
4. SWR Baby Bertha with 1-15 incher.

Music will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no music. If we danced more, truly danced and sang, there'd be less war.

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Worf101/My%20Pics/Giggin.jpg

Da Worfster

Worf101
03-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Try 2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Worf101/My%20Pics/Giggin.jpg

topspeed
03-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Music is a way to transplant reality. It is physical, emotional, spiritual, psychological, and every other kind of -al you can think of. Music is an escape.

BRANDONH
03-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Music is a way to transplant reality. It is physical, emotional, spiritual, psychological, and every other kind of -al you can think of. Music is an escape.
This was an intriguing question Kaboom posted
You hit the nail on the head for me Topspeed.
As you said it is an escape music can take you places.

I've always liked up-tempo music. And I've always liked the music LOUD
Me too franklinpross.

thepogue
03-14-2005, 02:18 PM
I like me system MUCH better than mu...mus..m...u...s..i..c...ah...let me get back sit ya on thata one.

;) Peace, Pogue

thepogue
03-14-2005, 02:23 PM
I didn't know you where a bass player kiddo...I play six string (Cramer Focus) and bass (Fender P and Cramer DMZ 6000) I've been stickin wiff the six string lately and hooking up with 2 brothers (both young pastors) and I forsee a kinda jazzy rocky king Crimson kinda weird fun christan stuff...it's aughta be a hoot!!

Nice ta see ya laddy!!! Peace, Pogue

Try 2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Worf101/My%20Pics/Giggin.jpg

Kaboom
03-15-2005, 09:49 AM
I cant really say what music is to me... I fail to concieve being in my room without something playing, i cant possibly think of driving without a CD on.
I cant imagine not sitting down and LISTENING to a whole album...
Music is, for me, one of the biggest pleasures in life. Nothing compares to sitting down, closing my eyes and just taking in all that the music is telling me.
As people have said, music is what can get me going in the morning, what can pull me out of a temporary depression or uncontrollable anger. Music is an escape.
Not only do i like music. I like records, i like CD's. I like filing them in order and admiring the cover art, i like popping them out of their jackets and slipping them onto either the platter or the CD tray (i almost cried when i recieved a MFSL gold disc). Its basically the only thing in my life upon which i impose a very strict order...
I dunno. I used to listen to the usual "all time favorites" songs till someone showed me bad religion. then i started LISTENING to music. that was 3 years ago. now music is my second greatest passion after the gf.
Music just KICKS ASS.
We roll tonite, to the guitar bite
And for those about to Rock
WE SALUTE YOU!!!

Worf101
03-15-2005, 10:54 AM
I didn't know you where a bass player kiddo...I play six string (Cramer Focus) and bass (Fender P and Cramer DMZ 6000) I've been stickin wiff the six string lately and hooking up with 2 brothers (both young pastors) and I forsee a kinda jazzy rocky king Crimson kinda weird fun christan stuff...it's aughta be a hoot!!

Nice ta see ya laddy!!! Peace, Pogue

Six String? Wow, I just made the leap to 5 string after thrity plus years of playing 4-string. I love the low B though. How do you string your 6? Do you go "E" to "E" like a guitar or some other exotic stringing? Shoot me a pic of your axes and rigs... I'd be curious to see em. I'm also working on a pic of my "murderers row" of basses.

Da Worfster
:cool:

BRANDONH
03-16-2005, 10:46 AM
till someone showed me bad religion. then i started LISTENING to music. that was 3 years ago. now music is my second greatest passion after the gf.

Hey Kaboom,
I have not heard this band before so I looked them up and found to new sealed LPs
EMPIRE STRIKES FIRST & PROCESS OF BELIEF both sealed.
Which ones do you like or are both good?
any input would be great.
THX

Kaboom
03-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Uhm the process of belief is REALLY an amazing album, if you like punk rock. Bad religion has gotten a lot softer with age. if you listen to their tapes from 82-85 it sounds like they are trying to rip the strings off the guitars, and those two albums are their two latest ones. process of belief is from 2002 and empire strikes first is their latest album.
Personally, i think Process of belief beats the crap out of ESB. The thing about process of belief is that aside from a couple of outstanding songs (kyoto now, epiphany) the rest of them are REALLY good. on the other hand i find that although ESB does have some really good songs, its not such a "solid" album.
although it doesnt bother me much, u might want to keep in mind that Bad Religion is an extremely political band, so if you are a left-winger u'll love the lyrics. the opposite will happen if u like Mr. Bush.
It has been said about ESB that its starting to overexploit their political views. Oh well.
Any of the two are really good albums, but perhaps Process of Belief is a better album to get into bad religion. If you like it, try some of the older ones like the gray race or generator.
cheers!

BRANDONH
03-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Uhm the process of belief is REALLY an amazing album, if you like punk rock. Bad religion has gotten a lot softer with age. if you listen to their tapes from 82-85 it sounds like they are trying to rip the strings off the guitars, and those two albums are their two latest ones. process of belief is from 2002 and empire strikes first is their latest album.
Personally, i think Process of belief beats the crap out of ESB. The thing about process of belief is that aside from a couple of outstanding songs (kyoto now, epiphany) the rest of them are REALLY good. on the other hand i find that although ESB does have some really good songs, its not such a "solid" album.
although it doesnt bother me much, u might want to keep in mind that Bad Religion is an extremely political band, so if you are a left-winger u'll love the lyrics. the opposite will happen if u like Mr. Bush.
It has been said about ESB that its starting to overexploit their political views. Oh well.
Any of the two are really good albums, but perhaps Process of Belief is a better album to get into bad religion. If you like it, try some of the older ones like the gray race or generator.
cheers!
Thanks.
I like S.O.A.D. and have toxicity on vinyl. Still available if you want one at http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalog/MerchandiseDetails.jsp?merchId=4415&skuId=25710
for only $8.97
so maybe Ill like Bad Religion as well. I did find another site that had a lot on their albums for a good price at http://www.skinniesrecords.com/newvinyl.html

Kaboom
03-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Uhm keep in mind Bad Religion is not THAT similar to SOAD. its nowhere the level of complexity, and although the musicianship is good its not as "sophisticated" as system of a down.
think of a more melodic Ramones...
in any case, i think they are a great band. I hope you enjoy it!
oh and thanx for the Toxicity tip. i'm chekcing it out right now!

BRANDONH
03-17-2005, 10:56 AM
cheers!
here is the complete Sony vinyl site:
http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalog/MediaTypeDetails.jsp?mcode=00003

E-Stat
03-17-2005, 01:14 PM
so what's music to you?
I'm with gonefishin's answer. It is an emotional response for me as well. Music is always running through my head even if I'm not listening. It is a way to still this otherwise hyper individual. It can make me laugh out loud or bring tears to my eyes. While I do find a greater connection with the big system at times, MP3s on my computer fill the need as well.

rw

BRANDONH
03-17-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm with gonefishin's answer. It is an emotional response for me as well. Music is always running through my head even if I'm not listening. It is a way to way to still this otherwise hyper individual. It can make me laugh out loud or bring tears to my eyes. While I do find a greater connection with the big system at times, MP3s on my computer fill the need as well.

rw
I even hear music in my dreams... does any one else?
Or should I seek Professional help?

Kaboom
03-17-2005, 04:23 PM
i think this starts to call for proffessional help...
Hey but dont worry, i need it too... The only reason i play drums is because melodic instruments are too complex for my limited brain, yet i've dreamt several times that i played the guitar like nobodie's business... with some of those Dream Theatre solo's and all...
and i used a bright pink pick...

thepogue
03-18-2005, 09:18 AM
the six string I play is lead/rhythm....my bass is only an old fastion 4 string...someday I'll get into the 5 string..but I'm ALWAYS a few decades behind...lol I'll attach a pic of a bass like ming...it's heavy...(WAY too heavy for playing out) but the all alumin. neck is kinda different...she s got great action and shes really snappy....talk to you soon! Peace, Pogue

Six String? Wow, I just made the leap to 5 string after thrity plus years of playing 4-string. I love the low B though. How do you string your 6? Do you go "E" to "E" like a guitar or some other exotic stringing? Shoot me a pic of your axes and rigs... I'd be curious to see em. I'm also working on a pic of my "murderers row" of basses.

Da Worfster
:cool:

dean_martin
03-18-2005, 10:17 AM

Yes and yes (see below).

One of my most memorable dreams included a live stage/jazz orchestra dressed in tuxes playing "In the Mood" in a school class room - not a band room, but more like a science lab. One of my law school classmates was dancing Rockette style by herself on the teacher's desk...I think I'll stop there.

topspeed
03-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Just last night I had this terrific dream where we were at my friend's wedding in The City and there was a stage set-up with a bunch of equipment. So all of my friends (who know how to play various instruments) grabbed their respective gear and just started rockin'. It was terrific! Oddly enough, I only jumped on the kit for a bit and the next thing I knew I was out on the dance floor just having a great time while someone else was banging away. I remember a lot of loud music and lot of drinking. Is that a great dream or what?

thepogue
03-18-2005, 01:34 PM
just wondering...

:)

Peace, Pogue

Just last night I had this terrific dream where we were at my friend's wedding in The City and there was a stage set-up with a bunch of equipment. So all of my friends (who know how to play various instruments) grabbed their respective gear and just started rockin'. It was terrific! Oddly enough, I only jumped on the kit for a bit and the next thing I knew I was out on the dance floor just having a great time while someone else was banging away. I remember a lot of loud music and lot of drinking. Is that a great dream or what?

Worf101
03-19-2005, 07:45 PM
the six string I play is lead/rhythm....my bass is only an old fastion 4 string...someday I'll get into the 5 string..but I'm ALWAYS a few decades behind...lol I'll attach a pic of a bass like ming...it's heavy...(WAY too heavy for playing out) but the all alumin. neck is kinda different...she s got great action and shes really snappy....talk to you soon! Peace, Pogue

Interesting basses... I've yet to take a pic of all mine yet but I will. Kramers are heavy but they're built like tanks. The only real problem with them besides weight is the fact that aluminum is conductive as hell. So when it's cold it's COLD. Love to hear you play someday...

Da Worfster :cool:

thepogue
03-20-2005, 10:59 AM
you got that right brudda!!...when I was playing out I'd always be in the club a few hours early so I could un-case my bass and have it in the greenroom...I made the mistake one time of keeping in the car whne I lived up north and we had a gig @ Lupos Heartbreak Hotel (very cool place in Providence) and it was in Jan or Feb...I tuned her...hit the stage...then the lights( heat from) de-tuned her six time durning the first set...lol

I sold her last year to a local guy w/a home studio....I can use it anytime I need but like I said I'm sticking with six string as of late...BTW I'd love to her you thump away also!!

Peace out, Pogue