Anyone heard the Kills? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard the Kills?

Davey
03-11-2005, 08:35 PM
I saw that Dusty listed it as one of the things he wasn't listening to in that thread of Finchy's, but I'm not sure if that was a slam or not. Care to clarify? I just saw a 4-star top-of-the-class mini-rave for their "No Wow" album by one of my favorite old fogey reviewers, Robert Hilburn of the LA Times. Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

Here's what he said....

THE KILLS

'No Wow'

Rough Trade/RCA

"You're gonna have to step over my dead body before you walk out that door/ This ain't no 'wow' no more," Alison Mosshart snarls with the defiance of PJ Harvey in this album's edgy title track, about first glow of romance turning dark and menacing.

The song, whose urgency is underscored by the tension and insistence of Jamie Hince's guitar work, is typical of the psychological battlefield mapped out in this arresting slice of rock noir (due in stores Tuesday) from a London-based duo whose members go by the stage names of VV (Mosshart) and Hotel (Hince).

With music that was as unnerving as the darkest moments of such models as the Velvet Underground and the Jesus and Mary Chain, the group's 2002 debut, Keep on Your Mean Side introduced the Kills' musical path.

In this follow-up, the Kills wrap their songs, from the enchanting 'The Good Ones' to the especially anxious 'I Hate the Way You Love,' in melodies that are disarmingly sweet and seductive.

The music and themes may be too dark for some tastes, but the Kills could dominate late-night radio on alt-rock and college rock stations.

-- Robert Hilburn

Los Angeles Times

nobody
03-12-2005, 05:22 AM
I had a listen to it, and thought it was quit good,meant to mention it but then forget to. I think the author may be a bit over the top; I think he gets the influences right, I'm just not ready to put them in that realm as far as quality goes just yet. I only heard the record once and don't own it, but it is something I have in mind to grab a copy of as in the right mood, I could see myself grabbing it fairly often. It's got a slow fog of menace that could be perfect for certain times. Now, that review has me wanting to hear their debut.

C'mon Dusty, chime in. I would think this thing would be up your alley, but hey who knows?

Davey
03-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Now, that review has me wanting to hear their debut.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll probably pick up a copy today cause I haven't been to the record store in ages.

And like I said, Bob Hilburn and I go way back to when I was just a teenager. He might be the person who had the biggest influence on my early music development, both good and bad. Used to always read his columns in the LA Times when I lived down in that area, but never follow him anymore except for the occasional syndicated thing like I posted above. And our taste in music has diverged somewhat over the years too I think, with me heading in a more underground indie direction while he struggles to remain relevant as a "rock" critic in one of todays biggest media markets. Which means he covers a broader range of music than I'm really interested in reading about, but that's fine. The internet has brought reviewers and other like-minded music lovers right into my house so I rarely even read any music articles in the print media anymore.

Jim Clark
03-12-2005, 04:00 PM
I like. I don't have the actual album but I have a really decent boot. The gal singing reminds me a bit of Alison Moyet in so much as it's a deep voice, husky if you will. Not anywhere near as soulful and far less polished. Strikes me like Moyet with a little Curve tossed in with major garage rock leanings. Or perhaps even better, the Black Rebel Motorcycle gang crossed with the Raveonettes. Overall I like all of the forementioned bands better but there are some songs on this disc that really stand out with "No Wow" being the brightest shining. I'd RIYL if you like the Raveonettes. Both are similarly dark, b flat kind of songs. Very enjoyable.

jc

Davey
03-12-2005, 04:08 PM
So I made what has unfortunately become a rather rare pilgrimage to my favorite indie rekkid store today and picked up No Wow by The Kills and the Black Mountain debut. And I do like No Wow a lot. Definitely a lot of early PJ Harvey in the sound, but without the dynamics of her band. More like some of the stuff on To Bring You My Love. Anyway, pretty cool, although I do prefer a drummer, even if it's someone as bad as Meg White :)

Pretty big mood swing at metacritic. Listen to Hilburn or the yahoo from Uncut or me or nobody. Better yet, find some samples and listen for yourself ... preferably before buying!

Los Angeles Times
The biggest advance is that the Kills now wrap their songs, from the enchanting "The Good Ones" to the especially anxious "I Hate the Way You Love," in melodies that are disarmingly sweet and seductive. [6 Mar 2005]

Uncut
To anyone over 16 it's Suicide/Velvets karaoke, a hacky homage to heroes rather than anything with fresh blood on its teeth. [Mar 2005, p.96]

Spinning Black Mountain right now and this is like so really taking me back to the 70s. Wish I had some weed. Their parents definitely played a lot of Led Zep around the house. Fun stuff :)

Dusty Chalk
03-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Nope, not a slam. Just something I had heard of that seemed to begetting some hype, that I hadn't personally heard yet.

nobody
03-13-2005, 06:06 AM
I grabbed a copy of this yesterday too, and the more I listen, the more I like it. I think he's being way too harsh, but the guy who mentions Suicide is on the right track there, Not on all songs, but there are quite a few tunes where the Suicide influence comes through pretty strong.

Nice vinyl too for those interested, and even a full LP sized insert and all.

Davey
03-13-2005, 09:09 AM
...but the guy who mentions Suicide is on the right track there, Not on all songs, but there are quite a few tunes where the Suicide influence comes through pretty strong.
Hmmm, I don't really get that but I haven't heard Suicide for many years and don't have any of their albums. i did see them one time and it was a pretty bizzare show. But Suicide had no guitar and weren't nearly as bluesy as this pair. Didn't have a nasty sounding girl singer fronting them either. But I guess some of the more confrontational aspects of the sound, especially when the guitar isn't prominent, do have that dirty synth-pop sound. That "Love Is A Deserter" is pretty cool.

<i>Get the guns out.
Your love is a deserter.</i>

:)

nobody
03-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah, it's the really simplistic synths and drum machine beats that make the Suicide connection for me. It's not there all the time, but then all of a sudden it will really stand out to me anyway.