Free HDTV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Free HDTV

Hanz29
12-23-2003, 02:16 PM
Samsung TXN 2745FP, and TXN 3245FP have HDTV built in, but turned off. I recently bought one of each and they both seemingly use the same picture tube as their more expensive HDTV counterparts (the two models mentioned are marketed as EDTV)

By getting into the service menu, you can unlock PIP as well as HDTV which is hidden in video 3 options, underneath the last visible option in that menu, PIP is in the option menu.

There are also suggestions posted on other websites for other modifications.

Since it is Christmas time I figured a lot of people will be buying TV's and I would hate for people not to be aware of this gem of a TV

they are only 450 and 650 at circuit city, and they may not be produced for long.

they do not accept 720p, but they do have two 1080i inputs, which can also be used with the 480p output in most DVD players.

If you go into the menu you may mess things up so do some research first at hometheaterspot

i'm not sure if that is the website, but to access it anyways,

turn off the TV, and press mute, 1, 8, 2, then power

when you turn it on, there should be a bunch of options, of which video 1,2,3 and option you can mess with.

i don't believe you can fix it if you mess it up w/o writing down any settings you change.

but you can save a couple hundred dollars and enjoy 1080i, even though the only thing that outputs that resolution through component is xbox and it only has three crappy games at that resolution. Also, this TV does not upconvert 720p to 1080i.

one more thing, every time you mess with that menu, your pic settings in the regular menu get reset.

ENJOY

recoveryone
12-23-2003, 10:57 PM
Samsung TXN 2745FP, and TXN 3245FP have HDTV built in, but turned off. I recently bought one of each and they both seemingly use the same picture tube as their more expensive HDTV counterparts (the two models mentioned are marketed as EDTV)

By getting into the service menu, you can unlock PIP as well as HDTV which is hidden in video 3 options, underneath the last visible option in that menu, PIP is in the option menu.

Since it is Christmas time I figured a lot of people will be buying TV's and I would hate for people not to be aware of this gem of a TV

they are only 450 and 650 at circuit city, and they may not be produced for long.

they do not accept 720p, but they do have two 1080i inputs, which can also be used with the 480p output in most DVD players.

If you go into the menu you may mess things up so do some research first at hometheaterspot

when you turn it on, there should be a bunch of options, of which video 1,2,3 and option you can mess with.

i don't believe you can fix it if you mess it up w/o writing down any settings you change.

but you can save a couple hundred dollars and enjoy 1080i, even though the only thing that outputs that resolution through component is xbox and it only has three crappy games at that resolution. Also, this TV does not upconvert 720p to 1080i.

one more thing, every time you mess with that menu, your pic settings in the regular menu get reset.

ENJOY

Are you saying that both of these sets have a HDTV tuner built in or just can be set to handle HDTV signal. If they have a HDTV tuner, all you need is an over the air anatena to bring in a signal and if you live close enough to a station. If the sets are just HD compatible you still need a tuner. And if I'm correct The Xbox is not true HD just High Res just like a progressive DVD player using component inputs. For HD the cable will need to connect through the HD inputs on the rear and not just the regular components. But I will check the Samsung web page on these sets and at those prices they would be the cheapest HD sets in the world.

recoveryone
12-23-2003, 11:09 PM

ENJOY
I just check the Samsung web site and it has the two models you listed as Digital TV's 480P compatible not HDTV's, but to get a HD ready set it has models TXN2775HF & TXN3298HF and they both need a HD box to bring the signal in.

Hanz29
12-24-2003, 11:38 AM
The sets I posted can display 1080i via an adjustment in the factory's service menu. I have given instructions on how to access it, set the option to "0"

it does not have a tuner, and, yes, xbox displays 1080i when a 1080i game is used, and when the xbox setup menu is set to do so

I know the site claims 480p, but if they told you that you can get 1080i for 200 less, they would lose money, and no one would buy the more expensive set.

My previous post should provide all the info neccessary.

Peace and hair grease