New Time Warner Cable HD 8300 DVR Replaces 8000! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Time Warner Cable HD 8300 DVR Replaces 8000!

hershon
03-10-2005, 06:18 PM
This is another reason why I love or hate Time Warner Cable in LA. One of the reasons I could not get 5.1 sound on my Scientific Atlanta HD 8000 DVR apparently was because it was not programed by the geniouses at Time Warner to do this (the optic function was disabled on this model) as well as the VCR recording function being disabled as well. I found out about this by phone today after a Time Warner Cable Man was scheduled to connect my DVR properly to get 5.1 sound. Instead he called me an hour before he was supposed to come but also told me the good news (this might be applicable to anyone on Time Warner in the USA which is why I'm posting this), that I can now exchange the 8000 for the new and improved HD 8300 DVR which I will get 5.1 sound and be able to record to my VCR or DVD recorder & store more recorded shows as well, at no extra cost. I plan on doing this as soon as I finish watching all the shows I have recorded on the 8000 DVR.

What I don't understand about Time Warner is they do not seem to inform their customers about the technology and updates of their technology they have available on a timely basis & the only way I've found out was to make direct inquiries myself or get info from some people on this board, third hand.

eisforelectronic
03-11-2005, 04:40 AM
It's because Scientific Atlanta does not always make known each and every software or hardware change to the various boxes. Customer service and field personnel are often left to figure things out for themselves or don't get the answers until they ask the right questions.

Worf101
03-11-2005, 06:28 AM
I'm running digital cable in the bedroom but no DVR. I'll call if they're offering it here I may get the upgrade...

Thanks...

Da Worfster :cool:

JeffKnob
03-11-2005, 06:48 AM
I have had the 8300HD box for about 6 months now. The cable guy who came out told me that it is a much better box. He said the 8000 was pushed onto the market too fast and therefore too many problems with it.

htfan14
03-11-2005, 07:43 AM
I traded my 8000 for the 8300 earlier this week, HDTV connected through HDMI looks superb!! This box also gives you the ability to know how much harddrive you have left, a constant gripe with the 8000 was having a recording ended early because it ran out of space.

hershon
03-11-2005, 09:21 AM
I never had any problems with the 8000- it ran very good for me other than I kept getting the run around from Time Warner why I couldn't get it to make external VCR/DVD copies & to get 5.1 sound.

I called them up yesterday after I posted this thread & in at least LA, they apparently won't let you just exchange the 8000 for the 8300 by just bringing it in, apparently you have to go on their waiting list to get this and then one of their technicians will install it for you. Great!