Progressive Scan DVD??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Scan DVD???

Rod B
03-09-2005, 12:32 PM
I just hooked up a new progressive scan DVD to my set, but I don't see any differences between the S-Video hookup and the Component video hookup. What should I be looking for? Or is the problem my TV?

Two, if I copy a DVD to a DVD, which input should I use, Component or S-Video? Does it matter?

Thanks!

LEAFS264
03-09-2005, 12:43 PM
What kind of T.V do you have? And have you set the players output to progressive. Normally you must do this in the menu.And is you T.V even able to output a progressive picture. After we know some of these answers, we'll help the best we can.

Jay

edtyct
03-09-2005, 01:18 PM
I just hooked up a new progressive scan DVD (#) to my set, but I don't see any differences between the S-Video hookup and the Component video (#) hookup. What should I be looking for? Or is the problem my TV (#)?

Two, if I copy a DVD to a DVD, which input should I use, Component or S-Video? Does it matter?

Thanks!
First of all, you should always choose the best connection available between source and target. This age of specialization may have its drawbacks, but in video cabling, the advantage of breaking down signal transmission into individual roles is obvious (that is, visible). Leaving aside DVI and HDMI for the time being, the analog pecking order has RF at the bottom; composite next; then S-video: and finally component. Each step has a perceptible superiority over its predecessor, even on an analog TV, unless some intervening variable upsets the playing field. (Depending on comb filters, however, the difference between composite and S-video may be minimal, as anyone who went through the laserdisc era might well know.) When you report about your make and type of TV, throw in information about your DVD player, too. As I said, on a level playing field, you should be able to see a smoother, less fuzzy picture via component than S-video.

Ed

Rod B
03-09-2005, 01:31 PM
I believe the TV is the JVC-32330 and the DVD player is the Memorex MVDR2100

LEAFS264
03-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Rob, i'm sorry to say, but your T.V is not able to produce an progressive scan picture. That is why you didn't see a difference in picture. Sorry.

Jay

hershon
03-09-2005, 03:06 PM
What these ahole companies don't tell anyone is that you can not copy a commercial DVD movie 95% of the time to another DVD as these jerks have made all manufacturers put a chip or something in the DVD recorders/players that prevents copying a DVD unless: 1. You have a computer internal or external DVD Burner & have a software program called DVD Shrink or a similar one which you can find on the Internet for free or 2. You buy, if you have a stand alone DVD recorder some devices people sell on Ebay that decrypts this stuff as well.

if you don't do either option, you will just be banging your head against the wall.

I just hooked up a new progressive scan DVD to my set, but I don't see any differences between the S-Video hookup and the Component video hookup. What should I be looking for? Or is the problem my TV?

Thanks!

Rod B
03-09-2005, 08:00 PM
I actually have a DVD burner on my PC, so I guess I will stick to that. The reason I got the Memorex was because it was progressive scan and a DVD recorder, but if my TV is not capable and I can't copy DVDs on the Memorex, looks like I will be getting my money back. Where can I get this DVD burning software for my PC to copy DVDs?

Thanks again.

hershon
03-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Besides the computer DVD burner which I use for DVD movies, I have a standalone DVD recorder for TV & converting VHS & 8mm tapes to DVD. Mine is a Lite On model which you can get for $170 or less including shipping online from places like Circuit City. As I said, you can still use this standalone to copy DVD movies but you are going to need some device that's sold on Ebay between $120- $150 or so, to decrypt the DVD's besides a second DVD layer.

I actually have a DVD burner on my PC, so I guess I will stick to that. The reason I got the Memorex was because it was progressive scan and a DVD recorder, but if my TV is not capable and I can't copy DVDs on the Memorex, looks like I will be getting my money back. Where can I get this DVD burning software for my PC to copy DVDs?

Thanks again.