This is totally effed up and off topic [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : This is totally effed up and off topic

ForeverAutumn
03-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Some sicko just set himself on fire, in a van, in front of our Provincial Parliament buildings in downtown Toronto. And they showed the whole thing live from a news helicopter.

I'm stunned. I turned the TV on while I had lunch and I missed the beginning of the live broadcast (interupting regular TV), so I wasn't really sure what I was watching. Just some guy driving a rental van back and forth inside a police blockade. There's a planned protest (farmers) at the building today, so luckily there were a lot of cops on hand to make sure that everyone stayed peaceful and safe.

So, I'm watching this guy drive back and forth really slowly for a few minutes. And the broadcasters aren't really telling me why. The cops don't seem afraid to get close to the van, so I'm guessing that he didn't have a weapon. Suddenly, the guy speeds up like he's going to make a break for it and the cop cars close in on him, hitting the van to keep it from moving. There's this flame in the van and waiting Firemen run in with hoses to put the fire out. The whole thing took maybe five seconds.

Then the broadcasters finally say that the guy told the police that he was doused in gasoline and "I don't want to take anyone with me".

Apparently, he was a farmer and this was his way of protesting, but the protest organizers have claimed not to know anything about it.

I'm not really sure how he thinks that his insane actions will help his cause (or his farm). How crazy do you have to be to set yourself on fire? Please don't answer that.
:(

ForeverAutumn
03-09-2005, 11:30 AM
So then I decided that I shouldn't have posted this and I wanted to delete it, but it doesn't look like you can delete an opening post. And you can't report your own posts. So I decided to leave it up after all. :rolleyes:

kexodusc
03-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Man, I just spent a few nights at the Sheraton, not too far from there...creepy.
Don't really know what to say...it must take some conviction to go through with that.

I hate watching the news.

BarryL
03-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Man, I just spent a few nights at the Sheraton, not too far from there...creepy.
Don't really know what to say...it must take some conviction to go through with that.

I hate watching the news.

I just want it to be known that it wasn't me, so my family can stop worrying. I don't even know where you can buy gasoline, let alone how to aim the match to ignite it. Perhaps he used his car lighter. I also always thought that lighters should be outlawed in farm vehicles, and this incident helps me make my case. It always takes firemen a long time to respond to farm calls, especially when you have to gather the volunteers. By then it's probably too late.

Second, if you were in TO, you should have let us know and we could have gotten together. City Hall is a ten minute walk from my office.

Next time.

Finch Platte
03-09-2005, 12:16 PM
I just want it to be known that it wasn't me, so my family can stop worrying. I don't even know where you can buy gasoline, let alone how to aim the match to ignite it. Perhaps he used his car lighter. I also always thought that lighters should be outlawed in farm vehicles, and this incident helps me make my case. It always takes firemen a long time to respond to farm calls, especially when you have to gather the volunteers. By then it's probably too late.

Second, if you were in TO, you should have let us know and we could have gotten together. City Hall is a ten minute walk from my office.

Next time.

Weird Post of the Day. :eek:

fp

MasterCylinder
03-09-2005, 12:36 PM
The only Farmer I know played guitar for Grand Funk.

Oh, wait.......................that should be F-A-R-N-E-R.