seems odd [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : seems odd

s dog
03-08-2005, 09:13 PM
I picked up klh-2400 receiver 100 x 2 , a while back at best buy for my bedroom system ,cost $99.00 when i started to hook the thing up i noticed it had pre out jacks on it ,this seemed odd to me that a receiver at this price would have them ,i cant believe anyone would want to use the pre amp section of a receiver at this price point ,just seemed odd to me, btw i have it running a pair of jbl 620s speakers sounds real nice for a bedroom system.

kexodusc
03-09-2005, 10:57 AM
You've got to keep in mind that even a half decent $400 pre-amp isn't going to sound radically different from the one in the receiver to most people...When you listen to that receiver a guitar sounds like a guitar, you can tell it's Madonna singing, there's a center image, a 3 dimensional soundstage etc..a better pre-amp might just improve on those things.
Geez, those DBT buffs argue that nobody can prove that they sound terribly different from $2000 pre-amps...I don't agree with that, but their test results at least tell me that there are diminishing returns on this stuff. I think most of us can agree with that.
I think an amp and pre-amp are equally important, however, in certain circumstances I think it's possible that a person might need to add a separate power amp for whatever reason.
I'm assuming this was H/K's thinking when they decided to do this.

I see a lot of Yamaha, H/K, Onkyo, Denon receivers in small bars, stores, pool halls, etc...in these places pre-amp outs to a separate power amp might provide for more speaker connections, or more volume if necessary. I imagine businesses like this make up a good part of the consumer base.

s dog
03-09-2005, 09:14 PM
You've got to keep in mind that even a half decent $400 pre-amp isn't going to sound radically different from the one in the receiver to most people...When you listen to that receiver a guitar sounds like a guitar, you can tell it's Madonna singing, there's a center image, a 3 dimensional soundstage etc..a better pre-amp might just improve on those things.
Geez, those DBT buffs argue that nobody can prove that they sound terribly different from $2000 pre-amps...I don't agree with that, but their test results at least tell me that there are diminishing returns on this stuff. I think most of us can agree with that.
I think an amp and pre-amp are equally important, however, in certain circumstances I think it's possible that a person might need to add a separate power amp for whatever reason.
I'm assuming this was H/K's thinking when they decided to do this.

I see a lot of Yamaha, H/K, Onkyo, Denon receivers in small bars, stores, pool halls, etc...in these places pre-amp outs to a separate power amp might provide for more speaker connections, or more volume if necessary. I imagine businesses like this make up a good part of the consumer base. yea i bet your right about being able to hook up more speakers , the receiver can only run one pair of speakers at a time, and you are also right about diminishing returns, i have seen this on my main system after years of upgradeing ,some equipment that cost 10 times as much as cheaper stuff dam sure dont sound 10 times better, It also has amplifier in put jacks what in the heck do they use them for. why would you run a amp into a receiver ,or im i misunderstanding the manual, thanks for youir time

paul_pci
03-09-2005, 11:55 PM
yea i bet your right about being able to hook up more speakers , the receiver can only run one pair of speakers at a time, and you are also right about diminishing returns, i have seen this on my main system after years of upgradeing ,some equipment that cost 10 times as much as cheaper stuff dam sure dont sound 10 times better, It also has amplifier in put jacks what in the heck do they use them for. why would you run a amp into a receiver ,or im i misunderstanding the manual, thanks for youir time

Yeah, that might be to go straight to the amplifier section of the receiver, bypassing the preamp section of the receiver, meaning, for one, that you can't control the volume, using the receiver's control. I plugged my CD player into the "main amp in" on my Yamaha once: really, really harsh sound.