New at "tri-amping"home theater [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New at "tri-amping"home theater

drummerdano
03-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Looking for advice for hooking (3) M-504's to Dx-Ts838 surround amp.

Quagmire
03-09-2005, 01:44 PM
I've noticed that you haven't gotten any feedback yet and this is your second thread asking for advice on the same subject. Just so that you're aware, the term you used, "triamping" isn't really accurate, which may be at least partly responsible for why you haven't gotten any replies thus far. What you are asking about is just using three stereo amplifiers (thus your label of triamping) to power up five or six channels of an HT system. What triamping or biamping refers to is using mulitple amps to power a single speaker which has been made with this purpose in mind. Biampable speakers will actually have two seperate sets of speaker jacks on the back of the speaker thus allowing connection of more than one amp to that speaker. One amp will power certain drivers in the speaker; the tweeter for example, while the other amp powers another or other drivers; a midbass and woofer perhaps. If a speaker is able to accept input from three seperate power amps, that would be a triampable speaker.

The other reason you haven't gotten any replies until now is maybe because no one else here has tried the exact combination of amps you have specified. Certainly if this is an amp that you have experience with and are pleased with its performance in other settings, there is no reason to think that three of them wouldn't perform admirably for HT purposes -- at least on par with the amp section of many HT receivers and probably better than some. Does this answer your question or is there some other aspect of this that I'm missing?

Q

drummerdano
03-18-2005, 08:23 AM
[QUOTEYes, I found your explanation informative, thank you
Dan

Quagmire
03-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Do you have preouts for each of the amplifier channels? If you do then it is as simple as connecting the amps to your receiver via the preamp outputs with analog (RCA) cables, then making the speaker connections from the amps to your speakers. If you don't have preouts for each of these channels (L, C, R, SR, SL) then you can't use outboard amps with this receiver and you are pretty much stuck. So first you need to determine if you have preamp outputs or "preouts" to facilitate making these connections.

Q

drummerdano
04-04-2005, 06:02 AM
I recently asked for advice on connecting (3) onkyo M-504 amps to a DX-
TS838 receiver,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,finally got everything figured out, with help from here and the local stereo shop. All I can say is "WOW!",,,,,,,,,the sound clarity is amazing, the volume available without overtaxing the under powered receiver is better than I had hoped.
Thanks to all,
Dan

Quagmire
04-05-2005, 10:33 PM
I recently asked for advice on connecting (3) onkyo M-504 amps to a DX-
TS838 receiver,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,finally got everything figured out, with help from here and the local stereo shop. All I can say is "WOW!",,,,,,,,,the sound clarity is amazing, the volume available without overtaxing the under powered receiver is better than I had hoped.
Thanks to all,
Dan
Glad this is working out so well for you. You have one of the longest turn around times between posts -- I'd forgotten about you. I'm curious, did you own all of these amps already or did you just find a good buy on them or....?

Q

drummerdano
04-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Glad this is working out so well for you. You have one of the longest turn around times between posts -- I'd forgotten about you. I'm curious, did you own all of these amps already or did you just find a good buy on them or....?

Q
I haven't had a lot of time to read all of the posts on here, I miss reading about other's experience and recommendations. I began looking for these amps a year ago, stumbled across one on ebay for a reasonable final bid. I bought the second and third from an individual, then 2 more off ebay. I seem to average about $485 each, delivered. With (5) of them, I still don't have a good, undamaged set of end panels! Ever hear of any available through overstock or collector sites? Onkyo has stopped making replacements recently. My plan now is to put together an audio only system for upstairs using 3 504's and actually tri-amping as it was explained to me. Still researching speakers suitable for it. Any recommendations?