Paradigm Servo 15 vs. PW2200 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Servo 15 vs. PW2200

ds1
03-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Can anyone compare the performance of these two subwoofers? I realize the PW2200 is half the price, but I'm wondering if the difference in performance is worth it. Thanks for any and all input.

kexodusc
03-08-2005, 04:39 AM
Worth it? That's really hard to say without understanding your needs. The Servo-15 is a very high powered sealed design, the PW-2200 is powerful ported design. You can rest assured the Servo-15 will sound better, play louder, and have more bottom end than the PW-2200, it is a far superior subwoofer.
However, all that being said, I'm not sure I can say it is worth the $2000 price it bears, but I would expect it to sound better than 2 PW-2200's put side by side.
Whether or not the extra cost is worth it can really only be answered by you...kind of a cheap answer but it's true.
There are other options as well...

N. Abstentia
03-08-2005, 05:06 AM
Having owned both (and still own the Servo 15) I can't stress enough how much better the Servo 15 is. Kexodusc is right, it will indeed outperform a pair of 2200's. However it shouldn't be $2000..I paid $1300 for mine a few years ago. They probably went up, but I wouldn't think they would go over $1500.

The Servo is tighter, louder, and goes lower than the 2200. It's not just a louder 2200, they are two completely different animals. The 2200 is actually more like a louder PS1000 which is a bandpass 10". The Servo is just in a completely different class.

kexodusc
03-08-2005, 05:59 AM
What is the price on the v.2 Servo 15? I have a S&V mag here that says MSRP is $2200...that seems high to me...that's where I pulled $2000 from.

Hard to compare a 12" ported unit to a 15" sealed servo sub...at any price.

N. Abstentia
03-08-2005, 07:41 AM
I'd be curious to know too, and I just realized that I've had my Servo for longer than I thought. Good Lord, I've been married almost 5 years (holy crap!) and of course I got the Servo before the marriage so my $1300 price is probably way outdated! And just for reference my PW2200 was $729 which was probably a year before I got the Servo.

ds1
03-08-2005, 07:49 AM
My local dealer has the Servo on for $900 CDN and the PW2200 for $2200 CDN.

kexodusc
03-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Dude, you've got that backwards...so $2200 CDN vs. $900 Canadian...but my experience is that Paradigm and other speaker companies typically sets prices in the US at par with Canada, so $2000 is close...that's a good chunk of coin for a subwoofer.
If we're just comparing these two units, I'd say go with the Servo-15 if you can afford it. I wouldn't say it's twice as good as the PW-2200, hence maybe not the better value, but you've got to pay for performance. It really is a much better subwoofer, awesome for both music and LFE in the latest multi-channel formats... And most people could sleep at night knowing they won't lose money upgrading their sub in a few years, the Servo-15 is more than enough sub for most people.

If you're hesitating on dropping that much cash on a sub though, I say stop now and get the Servo-15 out of your head...The PW2200 is a good sub on its own (I just sold mine) and you're only teasing yourself comparing it to the Servo.

ds1
03-08-2005, 10:19 AM
I did get the prices mixed up. Thanks.

ds1
03-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Kexodusc, you had mentioned that there are other options. What would you recommend?

topspeed
03-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Don't servo controlled subs control not only the throw but also the return (for lack of a better term)? I thought I read that's what makes servo's so much better in the first place.

ds1,
At this price point, you've got a lot of options. Depending on your application, you might try looking into James, REL, Velodyne Servo's, and DefTech Supercube Ref. Paradigm does make a heckuva nice sub tho, no doubt about that.

Woochifer
03-08-2005, 01:05 PM
What is the price on the v.2 Servo 15? I have a S&V mag here that says MSRP is $2200...that seems high to me...that's where I pulled $2000 from.

Hard to compare a 12" ported unit to a 15" sealed servo sub...at any price.

The list price is indeed correct for the Servo 15 v.2. Rather than redesign the Servo 15, Paradigm took the Signature Servo and put it inside of a laminate cabinet instead of a gloss finished cabinet. In the process, the list price went up from $1,500 to $2,200. The new Servo 15 is very imposing sub with notable improvements all the way around, but it's now at a completely different price point.

I heard that most of the Signature series purchasers were opting for the much less expensive Servo 15 rather than the Signature Servo sub. So, rather than upgrade a $1,500 sub with a refinement here and there, they opted to just redress their megapriced (but slow selling) flagship sub, and offer it as the "new" Servo 15. Basically, the Servo 15 v.2 is nothing more than a price reduction for the Signature Servo, because aside from the cabinetry, there's no difference between the two models.

Plus, Paradigm had just come out with their Seismic series subs, which are right around the $1,500 price point that the old Servo 15 occupied.

Personally, I don't like this change because while the new Servo 15 is indeed a better product all the way around, they moved it into a completely different price class. $1,500 for a high-powered 15" sealed sub with servo control was very reasonable and a very popular option for people looking in that price range. Unfortunately, it was popular enough to cannibalize sales for the Signature Servo, so Paradigm made the adjustment.

Geoffcin
03-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Can anyone compare the performance of these two subwoofers? I realize the PW2200 is half the price, but I'm wondering if the difference in performance is worth it. Thanks for any and all input.

I use a pair of 15" Servo subs in my Audio system, but for the most part you'ld never notice them. That's EXACTLY why I got them. Servo subs can blend seamlessly with almost any speaker and not call attention to themselves.

That being said; I've heard good things about the PW2200, and if you've got a modest sized room it might be all that you need. Also; If your using the sub mostly for Home Theater then your probably not going to need the extra control that a Servo sub has.