Insensitive [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Insensitive

ForeverAutumn
03-07-2005, 04:58 PM
How do you cool your lips after a summer's kiss?
How do you rid the sweat after the body bliss?
How do you turn your eyes from the romantic glare?
How do you block the sound of a voice you'd know anywhere?

Oh I really should have known
By the time you drove me home
By the vagueness in your eyes
Your casual good-byes
By the chill in your embrace
The expression on your face
That told me maybe you might have
Some advice to give
On how to be
Insensitive

How do you numb your skin after the warmest touch?
How do you slow your blood after the body rush?
How do you free your soul after you've found a friend?
How do you teach your heart it's a crime to fall in love again?

Oh you probably don't remember me
It's probably ancient history
I'm one of the chosen few
Who went ahead and fell for you
I'm out of vogue, I'm out of touch
I fell to fast, I feel to much
I thought that you might have
Some advice to give
On how to be
Insensitive

Oh I really should have known
By the time you drove me home
By the vagueness in your eyes
Your casual good-byes
By the chill in your embrace
The expression on your face
That told me maybe you might have
Some advice to give
On how to be
Insensitive

God I love this song sung by Jann Arden. This has to be one of the most well crafted songs that I know, both musically and lyrically (it was written by Anne Loree, a neighbour of Jann's).

I love how the lyrics lead you into believing that it's a love song...and then...WHACK....sarcasm! It's a beautiful thing. :) And the images in the lyrics, "how do you cool your lips after a summer's kiss? How do you rid the sweat after the body bliss?", are so sensual.

Musically, the song has such emotion. Slow and sweet during the verses and a little quicker for the chorus, emphasising the sarcastic tone. Then slowing down and becoming a little drawn out for "Some advice to give, on how to be..." before slamming into the key word..."insensitive".

I hadn't heard this for a while and was listening to it on the drive home from work. I was reminded of how totally brilliant this song is. I replayed it over and over again for the full 40 minute drive home. :)

Finch Platte
03-07-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm glad I'm not just getting over a relationship. :p

fp

MasterCylinder
03-08-2005, 05:15 AM
Very nice FA -- well done.

On a related note (as in "Hey you beeotch, why would you reject me ?) here is one from the boys at OSI:

shutDOWN Matheos / Wilson

shutDOWN your body shutDOWN your skin. shutDOWN your kisses shutDOWN within. shutDOWN your feelings shutDOWN your tongue. shutDOWN your dreaming mind shutDOWN your love. shutDOWN your anger shutDOWN your precious time. shutDOWN you loser shutDOWN your little mind. shutDOWN your letters shutDOWN your voice. shutDOWN your phone calls shutOUT the noise. shutDOWN the freezone shutDOWN your breath. shutDOWN your hormones wild shutDOWN your sex. shutDOWN your anger shutDOWN your precious time. shutDOWN you loser shutDOWN your little mind. I gave a promise but it's just not enough for you. I lied and cheated and betrayed all my trust for you. I ripped my heart out threw it down on the bed for you. I crawled away and hid in shadows and dust for your love. Woke up and I wanted to make you my harbour (cold light bleeding through the closed blinds deep the quicksand cage the soft hands). Made up but the moment dies (her breath threading the still night kiss the cold lips make the time slip). Cut me down and throw me out. Shut me down and fade me out. Spaced out and I touch you to make myself calmer (cold light bleeding through the closed blinds deep the quicksand cage the soft hands). You smile but the moment dies (her breath threading the still night kiss the cold lips make the time slip). Cut me Down and throw me out. Shut me down and fade me out.

Too cool.

kexodusc
03-08-2005, 06:43 AM
An old girlfriend took me to see Jann Arden in Ottawa back in 1999 or so...can't remember if they played this particular song or not, but I have to admit, I was quite impressed. That was the first time I ever heard of her (living in Georgia at the time, we didn't get much Canadian music exposure). Her best song of the night was "I Would Die For You" (at least I think that's the title)...very hypnotic and emotional...
Since then I've kind of been a closet Jann Arden fan...not something I play in my car or throw on when the boys come over to watch football. Shame on me.
This woman is all talent and does NOT fit the so-called star "mold". Good to see there's still some excellent modern pop/rock.

ForeverAutumn
03-08-2005, 08:16 AM
An old girlfriend took me to see Jann Arden in Ottawa back in 1999 or so...can't remember if they played this particular song or not, but I have to admit, I was quite impressed. That was the first time I ever heard of her (living in Georgia at the time, we didn't get much Canadian music exposure). Her best song of the night was "I Would Die For You" (at least I think that's the title)...very hypnotic and emotional...
Since then I've kind of been a closet Jann Arden fan...not something I play in my car or throw on when the boys come over to watch football. Shame on me.
This woman is all talent and does NOT fit the so-called star "mold". Good to see there's still some excellent modern pop/rock.

You're right that she doesn't fit the so-called star "mold". I had the pleasure of meeting her once. She is extremely down to earth and is sincerely grateful to her fans for being her fans. There was not a pretentous bone in her body as far as I could see.

I have never understood why Jann Arden is not immensly popular. She is as talented, if not more so, than Sarah McLachlan IMO. And she is a far superior entertainer. This woman is a star....too bad the rest of the world hasn't realized it yet.

Shame on you for keeping this gem to yourself. Share the wealth man. Get her music out there!!!

ForeverAutumn
03-08-2005, 08:19 AM
shutDOWN Matheos / Wilson

shutDOWN your body shutDOWN your skin....

Too cool.

Too cool? Man, that's beyond cool. That's cold. Nice lyrics though. Sure gets the point across.

BarryL
03-08-2005, 10:20 AM
I've seen Jann three times in concert, and she's a great songwriter and performer. She knows how to work the audience and keep them entertained. She's one funny lady.

During one tour I saw, she did a whole set (about 15 minutes) of cabaret music, which consted of campy songs like Tie a Yellow Ribbon and such that she used to sing when she played barrooms in her pre-recording days. It was a howl, and totally unexpected from someone with three or four albums of material.

Her first two albums are the best in my opinion, but I guess that's because that's where I started. She's easily one of Canada's best songwriters.

Worf101
03-08-2005, 11:46 AM
If anyone has a comp or a any album recommendations.. let a fellah know.

Da Worfster :D

Swish
03-08-2005, 12:16 PM
You're right that she doesn't fit the so-called star "mold". I had the pleasure of meeting her once. She is extremely down to earth and is sincerely grateful to her fans for being her fans. There was not a pretentous bone in her body as far as I could see.

I have never understood why Jann Arden is not immensly popular. She is as talented, if not more so, than Sarah McLachlan IMO. And she is a far superior entertainer. This woman is a star....too bad the rest of the world hasn't realized it yet.

Shame on you for keeping this gem to yourself. Share the wealth man. Get her music out there!!!

that makes me want to vomit whenever I hear her music? Ok, that may be a little harsh, but I suppose I just don't "get" her. She doesn't bring much to the table if you ask me. Passable voice, passable lyrics, forgettable tunes....oh, just forget about it.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
03-08-2005, 03:05 PM
that makes me want to vomit whenever I hear her music? Ok, that may be a little harsh, but I suppose I just don't "get" her. She doesn't bring much to the table if you ask me. Passable voice, passable lyrics, forgettable tunes....oh, just forget about it.

Swish

I wouldn't quite go that far...but you're right. I have several Sarah M CDs and, while she has some beautiful songs, I rarely listen to any of her CDs in full. I do love her voice, but I find her music on the boring side. Which is why I don't understand why she has been so much more successful than Jann Arden, who has a much better collection of songs under her belt and is, generally, a much better performer.

I've seen Sarah live. Zzzzzzzzzzz. Jann tells stories and talks to the audience and makes you laugh and then you get to hear some great music!

I really think that their success should be reversed. Have you heard Jann Arden?

Swish
03-09-2005, 05:53 AM
I wouldn't quite go that far...but you're right. I have several Sarah M CDs and, while she has some beautiful songs, I rarely listen to any of her CDs in full. I do love her voice, but I find her music on the boring side. Which is why I don't understand why she has been so much more successful than Jann Arden, who has a much better collection of songs under her belt and is, generally, a much better performer.

I've seen Sarah live. Zzzzzzzzzzz. Jann tells stories and talks to the audience and makes you laugh and then you get to hear some great music!

I really think that their success should be reversed. Have you heard Jann Arden?

Does that mean I can expect to soon? ;)

Swish Baby

Finch Platte
03-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Does that mean I can expect to soon? ;)

Swish Baby

...I thought- hey, I've got a Jann disc someone sent me somewhere, and sure enough, there it was, under 'A'. :rolleyes:

Haven't played it in a while, and now I know why. Bland. Bleagh. Icky, sticky sweet nothingness.

You can have mine, Swisheroo. No cover, and I dunno which of her discs it is, but you can have it.

fp

shokhead
03-09-2005, 06:28 AM
A little sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooow for me.

ForeverAutumn
03-09-2005, 06:43 AM
...I thought- hey, I've got a Jann disc someone sent me somewhere, and sure enough, there it was, under 'A'. :rolleyes:

Haven't played it in a while, and now I know why. Bland. Bleagh. Icky, sticky sweet nothingness.

You can have mine, Swisheroo. No cover, and I dunno which of her discs it is, but you can have it.

fp

I wouldn't have expected you to like her Finchy. But I think that Swishy might. And even if he doesn't...it'll be good music for Mrs. Swishy's cafe.

kexodusc
03-09-2005, 06:44 AM

I think the success factor can largely be attributed to marketing. Jann Arden isn't exactly a beautiful blonde who'd make the cover of Rolling Stone...I think Sarah M is an easier sell that way (typical man answer...but image does sell). More importantly though, I consider Jann Arden's music more straight forward rock, and I think it's fair to say she was sold more to the mature/adult crowd, whereas Sarah M got dumped into the "Alternative" bins at the music stores in the 90's and rode that wave. Once you get the one big hit that penetrates the US market, the labels are more likely to invest in you. This has been my beef with the Canadian industry for years...too many good artists get overlooked. Instead we export Celine Dion, Alanis Morissette (who will always be "Never too hot, never cold..." to me), Avril, Shania, etc...I can't believe those three dominate their respective genres.

I don't "get" Sarah McLachlan's music, but I know a ton of females that do...She's ok, I guess.

Finch Platte
03-09-2005, 07:49 AM
...it'll be good music for Mrs. Swishy's cafe.

Uh, you want people to eat, don't you? And to keep it down, right? :D

Aww, it ain't that bad. It's just too sensitive for me.

And speaking of sensitive...

Two Prayers.

FEMALE PRAYER:

Before I lay me down to sleep,
I pray for a man who's not a creep.
One who's handsome, smart and strong,
One who loves to listen long.
One who thinks before he speaks,
When he says he'll call, he won't wait weeks.
I pray that he is gainfully employed,
When I spend his cash he won't be annoyed.
Pulls out my chair and opens my door,
Massages my back and begs to do more.
Oh! Send me a man who'll make love to my mind,
Knows what to answer to "How big is my behind?"
I pray that this man will love me to no end,
And never attempt to hit on my friend.

Amen.

MALE PRAYER:

I pray for a deaf-mute nymphomaniac with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and a boat.

Amen.

fp

Gav_2000
03-10-2005, 12:58 AM
If anyone has a comp or a any album recommendations.. let a fellah know.

Da Worfster :D

I have Living Under June by Jann Arden.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002G3A/qid=1110444843/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-3880933-5426516?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

This contains Insensitive (used in the very average film called Bed of Roses) and also I Would Die for You (from an earlier album) tagged onto the end.

These are her 2 best songs in my opinion but this whole album is good. I found an earlier album called Time for Mercy a little bland.

Both of these albums are mid-90's releases, I have no idea what she's done since as she's almost unheard of in the UK.

Worf101
03-10-2005, 07:50 AM
I have Living Under June by Jann Arden.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002G3A/qid=1110444843/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-3880933-5426516?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

This contains Insensitive (used in the very average film called Bed of Roses) and also I Would Die for You (from an earlier album) tagged onto the end.

These are her 2 best songs in my opinion but this whole album is good. I found an earlier album called Time for Mercy a little bland.

Both of these albums are mid-90's releases, I have no idea what she's done since as she's almost unheard of in the UK.
That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll buy and try and let you know what I think/feel.

Da Worfster
:cool: