I love the record shows... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I love the record shows...

nobody
03-07-2005, 05:52 AM
Place in town rents out tables and holds record shows every other month. You get everything from old ladies with tons of records randomly shoved into boxes to collector types with original Jerry Lee records in mint shape for big bucks. Not much in the way of new stuff, but for older stuff, lots of good deals abound if you don't mind spending a few hours hunting around and avoiding the expensive stuff.

I hadn't been in a while, but was able to make it out this weekend. Damn good deals to be found. I replaced a couple things where my copies were trashed and grabbed quite a bit of good jazz for cheap. Grabbed all this stuff...

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
Satchmo at Symphony Hall
Mulligan/Baker
Etta Jones - Don't Go to Strangers
The President Plays with the Oscar Peterson Trio
John Coltrane - Impressions
Stringin' Along with Chet Atkins
Erroll Garner - Soliloquy
Duke Ellington - In a Mellotone
Jimmy Smith & Wes Montgomery - Jimmy & Wes, the Dynamic Duo
Count Base Swings and Joe Williams Sings
Earl Hines - Once Upon a Time
Fats Waller Plays and Sings
Ella at Duke's Place
Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels - Greatest Hits
The Box Tops - Greatest Hits
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
The Kinks - Muswell Hiollibilies
Gene Voncent's Greatest Hits
Simply Red
Run DMC - King of Rock
Siouxsie & the Banshees - JuJu

for under $35. Hard to shop at these things if you have specific things in mind you want to buy, unless you're willing to pony up the bucks to a dealer charging top dollar. But if you're willing to scour the $1-$2 tables and just grab what turns up, you can walk away with a ton of great music cheap. All the records are pretty well scratch free, just some dust and a few smudges that should clean up fine.

Listening to the Erroll Garner right now before I start heading out for work.

Anybody else ever go to these things?

Ex Lion Tamer
03-07-2005, 07:14 AM
Place in town rents out tables and holds record shows every other month. You get everything from old ladies with tons of records randomly shoved into boxes to collector types with original Jerry Lee records in mint shape for big bucks. Not much in the way of new stuff, but for older stuff, lots of good deals abound if you don't mind spending a few hours hunting around and avoiding the expensive stuff.

I hadn't been in a while, but was able to make it out this weekend. Damn good deals to be found. I replaced a couple things where my copies were trashed and grabbed quite a bit of good jazz for cheap. Grabbed all this stuff...

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
Satchmo at Symphony Hall
Mulligan/Baker
Etta Jones - Don't Go to Strangers
The President Plays with the Oscar Peterson Trio
John Coltrane - Impressions
Stringin' Along with Chet Atkins
Erroll Garner - Soliloquy
Duke Ellington - In a Mellotone
Jimmy Smith & Wes Montgomery - Jimmy & Wes, the Dynamic Duo
Count Base Swings and Joe Williams Sings
Earl Hines - Once Upon a Time
Fats Waller Plays and Sings
Ella at Duke's Place
Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels - Greatest Hits
The Box Tops - Greatest Hits
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
The Kinks - Muswell Hiollibilies
Gene Voncent's Greatest Hits
Simply Red
Run DMC - King of Rock
Siouxsie & the Banshees - JuJu

for under $35. Hard to shop at these things if you have specific things in mind you want to buy, unless you're willing to pony up the bucks to a dealer charging top dollar. But if you're willing to scour the $1-$2 tables and just grab what turns up, you can walk away with a ton of great music cheap. All the records are pretty well scratch free, just some dust and a few smudges that should clean up fine.

Listening to the Erroll Garner right now before I start heading out for work.

Anybody else ever go to these things?

WOW! WOW! and WOW! What a great haul. Wish I knew of record shows in my area. How's the condition, in general?

Stone
03-07-2005, 07:31 AM
That's a great haul. I go occasionally to record shows, but it's only when I see a flyer at the record store and the shows here aren't very big. But I find that the prices and selection is typically better at the shows than at the record stores. Plus it's fun to see what people are selling (for instance, a huge metal collection was on sale the last one I went to).

nobody
03-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I felt pretty lucky to grab those. The jazz part of the haul was much better than I would have expected. It was actually fun after the show as I went with a non-jazz fan who mostly listens to modern blues stuff who took a listen to a few track off the stuff I grabbed. He ended up asking me to burn him copies of Count Base Swings and Joe Williams Sings, Earl Hines - Once Upon a Time, Jimmy Smith & Wes Montgomery - Jimmy & Wes, the Dynamic Duo, and asked if I had more jazz that sounded like those. So, it felt nice to see someone who thought they hated jazz get into a few records.

They're all actually in pretty good shape. There are the usual fingerprints and dust covering many of them, but I'm pretty hard lined about not buying stuff that's scratched. You can always clean out the dirt and grime, but you can't fix a scratch. I expect them all to clean up to play very well. Actually a few of them looked like they couldn't have been played more than a very few times. The Lee Morgan has some surface marks, but I played it before I even cleaned it up and it played through with just a bit of noise.

Dave_G
03-07-2005, 08:44 AM
There is one here in Atlanta too about once a month that I have gone to many times, lots of old dusty crap and lots of gems, too. Mostly the gems are high dollar. But ya lots of vinyl available for cheap and of your not picky you can score big like nobody did.

In general I don't do vinyl anymore so I frequent these things less and less...

Dave