Upgrade the Wall Outlets! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade the Wall Outlets!

risabet
03-06-2005, 11:24 PM
I live in a condo built in the late 70's. As a cheap tweak, I bought 2 hospital grade outlets at Home Depot (about $13.00 each) to replace the 30 year old outlets in the wall.

The difference between the old outlets and the new is subtle but clearly audible. Bass drive and extension is better, backgrounds are quieter, and the high treble is subtly more grain-free, more airy.

I find this to be a beneficial and inexpensive tweak and I recommend it to all.

squeegy200
03-17-2005, 01:41 PM
I've always been curious (And skeptical) because I've seen these on some of the audiophile sites. Sometimes for lots of $

Based on your recommendation, I may make a run to the big orange box this weekend and pick up a few to replace the outlets that feed my equipment. At least those are inexpensive enough that if I don't hear any improvement, at least I haven't shelled out a wallet full of cash. And I know that there is at least some additional protection installed between my sensitive equipment and public power.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Les

Shwamdoo
03-21-2005, 06:27 AM
I bought a package of 20 Hubbell IG5362GY outlets for $20.00 (This was a great deal as they are usually around $20.00 a piece.)

I would highly recommend doing this simple and rather inexpensive upgrade. I noticed an audible difference. Nothing huge that reaches out and grabs your attention. But, over time you begin to realize the benefits.

squeegy200
03-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Are those Hubbell parts surge protected? Do they have noise filtering built-in?
What differentiates them from ordinary outlets?

risabet
03-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Are those Hubbell parts surge protected? Do they have noise filtering built-in?
What differentiates them from ordinary outlets?

No surge protection, no noise filtering, just much heavier, larger internal contacts, higher quality materials and better grip on the plug. Highly noticeable on insertion and removal of the plug. Remember, hospitals don't want the plug to your respirator falling out of the outlet!

jamison
03-25-2005, 03:03 PM
how about upgrading your electrical service as well? I am set to have my whole house electrically rewired and i am going from a 60 amp fuse box to a 150 amp service with all new wiring. since im having this done is there anything i can do to the circuitry in the house that will benefit the sound system? im thinking about having a dedicated circut put in just for my home theater. Im running an Adcom GFA 7807 amp at 300x7 2 velodyne HGS 18 subs, an Onkyo Tx-sr800 Receiver, Cd player dvd player,VRC and a Panasonic 36 inch TAU television. im thinking it takes a lot of juice for al that so would a dedicated circuit be benefiical?

wfontenot
03-25-2005, 04:42 PM
how about upgrading your electrical service as well? I am set to have my whole house electrically rewired and i am going from a 60 amp fuse box to a 150 amp service with all new wiring. since im having this done is there anything i can do to the circuitry in the house that will benefit the sound system? im thinking about having a dedicated circut put in just for my home theater. Im running an Adcom GFA 7807 amp at 300x7 2 velodyne HGS 18 subs, an Onkyo Tx-sr800 Receiver, Cd player dvd player,VRC and a Panasonic 36 inch TAU television. im thinking it takes a lot of juice for al that so would a dedicated circuit be benefiical?

Yes it would! Why are you only going with a 150 amp service, why not a 200 amp? Also check out some websites for outlets. There are several sites warning about the Levitron hospital grade outlets from HomeDepot. From what I have read, they sound great for a year then fade. The reason is the materials and coating in the plug. There are several other plugs you can purchase for approx. 12 dollars. Good Luck!

jamison
03-26-2005, 01:57 PM
im only going with 150 amp service because my house is a very small ranch not a lot of space my living room is decent sized not huge, aprox 14 x 24. the rest of the rooms are very small. most people will say my sound system is way overkill for the size of the room.

MCH
03-27-2005, 08:35 AM
I think it is a good idea to have a couple of dedicated plugs for the sound system. You are using a large amp that draws a lot of power; go dedicated for this at least. I would also go dedicated for the subs.
that's my experience.