Decisiontime: Nad 763 or Arcam 250? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Decisiontime: Nad 763 or Arcam 250?

SpoonerMan
03-06-2005, 08:03 PM
The background:
- Looking for receiver <$1500
- 4 ohms Totem Arros speakers
- 50% music/50% HT
- Mid-sized NYC room. 18' x 20' with 11' ceilings and sheetrock/wood floors

Here's the deal... I'm renovating the apt. and want my audio cake and decorating desires too...

I was all set to get the NAD 763 but it is too big (tall) for the cabinet i want to get for my components ... The Arcam 250 fits most furniture but is something like $350 more which hurts but i could probably do. It also looks better IMO. I've also read that the Arcam isn't as stellar for HT as it is for two channel music... But NAD get raves, esp. with my arros.

So? Help...

which way too go? Is the Arcam worth the extra cash? How does it compare to the 763 (i haven't been able to demo them side by side)? Does Arcam have quality issues?

thanks

kexodusc
03-07-2005, 05:17 AM
I haven't heard of any quality issues with Arcam, but I imagine there's been a few like with everything else. I haven't heard the 250, but if it's anything like the rest of Arcam's stuff, I would expect it to sound a bit better than NAD.
For a receiver though, I think the 763 is great...and the Arcam isn't going to sound a whole lot better. Is there a smaller model, maybe a 753? Quite honestly, I would think that to be overkill in an apartment unless you have very cool neighbors or good sound proofing.
And I'll be the first to say it here, you've got your priorities backwards, man. You should be buying furniture to fit your gear, not gear to fit your furniture. :D

edtyct
03-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Kexodusc, as usual, makes a lot of sense. If space is at a premium, and money is an object (if it isn't an object, does it thereby become a subject?), a smaller NAD, or something else good that fits the budget and the allotted real estate, would certainly seem to be a smart move. But I still would feel remiss, if I didn't mention that two of the best receivers on the planet are made by Lexicon and Arcam, both rivaling the sound quality of separates costing as much or more. If you crave the simplicity of a receiver rather than a pre/pro and amp(s) or need to save space and can afford either one, it would be hard to pass it up. No one but you can ultimately decide what constitutes overkill in this case, though I will suggest that an audio component often shows its mettle by how well it can play at lower SPLs, if you need it to do so. Anyhow, just a slightly different slant on the reasoning.

Ed

SpoonerMan
03-10-2005, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback. It is not unlike me to get into crazyland when it comes to this stuff... (can't i find something cheaper to be into at the moment?).

And yeah i know, i expect nothing less than a good thrashing on audioreview about the furniture issue so point taken.

maybe the arcam is a little much for me. i do have cool neighbors but in no way am i cranking v. loud. just wanted a (physically) smaller receiver - the 753 isn't any smaller than the 763 - and wanted great sound at (mostly) low to mid volumes.

it's looking more like the 763 and i'll figure out the sizing issues later.

kexodusc
03-10-2005, 07:36 AM
it's looking more like the 763 and i'll figure out the sizing issues later.

(sniff, sob) I'm proud of you.