Just heard the new Garbage single, Why Do You Love Me? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just heard the new Garbage single, Why Do You Love Me?

Davey
03-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Heading to the supermarket to do some grocery shopping and had the radio tuned to the local alt-rock station and it sounded pretty cool. Real guitar heavy, kind of a latter day Veruca Salt sound after the volcano girls found their commercial side. I was kinda disappointed at first because it's really catchy in a prefab kind of way and has tons of vocal tracks so sounds like just about everything else on the radio, but it's got a real killer bridge and then toward the end it gets real heavy and loud....but then they introduce the bait and reeled me in with a big down tempo change to play against the loud parts and it sounds almost like another song has started, but Shirley keeps getting pounced on by these heavy guitars. Very cool ending segment that had me sitting in the car in the parking lot at the grocery until the last note died out. Hmmm, might have to reconsider the notion I had that Garbage had jumped the shark with the last one, even though I never even heard it. How's that for pretentiousness?

;)

Kaboom
03-05-2005, 04:37 PM
i always get mixed feelings about Garbage... Its one of those bands i would choose a couple of songs from to put into my mp3 player, but i doubt i'd be able to sit through one of their albums. I shall locate that single and give it a shot.
Androgeny must be one of the coolest songs i've ever heard

Swish
03-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Heading to the supermarket to do some grocery shopping and had the radio tuned to the local alt-rock station and it sounded pretty cool. Real guitar heavy, kind of a latter day Veruca Salt sound after the volcano girls found their commercial side. I was kinda disappointed at first because it's really catchy in a prefab kind of way and has tons of vocal tracks so sounds like just about everything else on the radio, but it's got a real killer bridge and then toward the end it gets real heavy and loud....but then they introduce the bait and reeled me in with a big down tempo change to play against the loud parts and it sounds almost like another song has started, but Shirley keeps getting pounced on by these heavy guitars. Very cool ending segment that had me sitting in the car in the parking lot at the grocery until the last note died out. Hmmm, might have to reconsider the notion I had that Garbage had jumped the shark with the last one, even though I never even heard it. How's that for pretentiousness?

;)

He really likes that Shirley chick, but I just can't get past their weak lyrics and formulaic style that never seems to add anything fresh to the musical landscape. I'm not saying they suck or anything, and much of what they do sounds pretty good to me, it's just that there's so much more quality music available to take up my precious time, you know what I mean? I have dozens upon dozens of cds that are gathering dust because they don't command my attention, and that's how I would categorize "Garbage".

Swish Baby Wipes

P.S. I love the Happy Days "jumped the shark" reference. That happended to Seinfeld after Larry David left, although most diehard fans refused to admit it.