Going to see Over the Rhine tonight... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Going to see Over the Rhine tonight...

Swish
03-05-2005, 02:33 PM
and tickets were only $12.00 for the show at the Chameleon Club in Lancaster. I'm hoping they play some tunes from Ohio, but they have a new CD out, or coming out, so they're more likely to play stuff from that to promote it. No matter I guess, it's just nice to hear the songs you're more familiar with IMO.

They have a very interesting show on Saturday, April 2nd as well, with Cracker and Camper Van Beethoven coming to town. I noticed they were playing together in Philly in April, but it'sj on a Thursday night I think, so that was out for me. Lancaster in only a 30 minute ride, and with a Saturday night show, it's perfect.

So, does anyone else have music in store this weekend???

Swish

Davey
03-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Man, I love those guys! Especially the gal. If you get the chance, tell her Davey says hi! And if you get the chance to exchange something with our good friend Snowbunny, ask her about a little Over the Rhine ditty called "Never Quite What It Seems". Very cool tune and the namesake of a fun little one-off comp (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comps.htm#Never_Quite_What_It_Seems).

Have a great time! :)

MindGoneHaywire
03-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Yes! Going to see Madeleine Peyroux at Town Hall...in a few minutes. I'll post a review when I'm able...

DarrenH
03-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Yes! Going to see Madeleine Peyroux at Town Hall...in a few minutes. I'll post a review when I'm able...

Since you love Billie Holiday this should be quite a treat for you. Hope you had a great time.

I've developed quite an affinity for Nancy Wilson's singing myself. I love that voice of hers.

Swish
03-06-2005, 07:44 AM
Man, I love those guys! Especially the gal. If you get the chance, tell her Davey says hi! And if you get the chance to exchange something with our good friend Snowbunny, ask her about a little Over the Rhine ditty called "Never Quite What It Seems". Very cool tune and the namesake of a fun little one-off comp (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comps.htm#Never_Quite_What_It_Seems).

Have a great time! :)
although we had to stand the entire time, even thru one really weak opening duo and then a so-so solo artist. We were there in plenty of time to get seats, which are few and far between at the Chameleon, but none of us had eaten dinner so we grabbed a quick bite about a block away. By the time we returned the line was at least 100-125, so we were screwed. I'm too frickin' old to stand for 3+ hours, but I somehow managed.

Anyway, this was a stripped down version of Over the Rhine, although it was the two key members of Karin Bergquist and Linford Detweiler who showed up. I certainly missed the drums, bass, and the occasional violin so prominent in their recorded music, but Karin's voice was as sweet as always and Linford's piano playing was dead on. Karin also played acoustic guitar on most of the songs, and they brought out Kim Taylor, the solo artist who was the second opening act I mentioned above, to play a second guitar and to do some background vocals later in the show. Linford also does some harmonizing, but Kim's voice was really nice to hear backing Karin's.

They opened with 4 songs from their upcoming release, Drunkard's Prayer, although I can't remember any of the titles (I was hoping they would be selling it at the show, but it wasn't happening). After the first song, and amid lots of applause, Karin asked who traveled the farthest to get to the show. One guy was from "across the street", which drew some chuckles, one said "Florida", then, as it quited down, I shouted out "Singapore", which got plenty of laughs. Karin looked in my direction and said "you're lying through your teeth". Yes, there are thousands of comedians out of work and I'm trying to be one.

They finally got into some songs from Rave Recs favorite "Ohio", starting with "Suitcase". Lindford picked up a guitar for that one while Karin sang solo of course. I think they did "Anything at All" next, followed by "What I'll Remember Most" and the title track, "Ohio". I can't remember any others from Ohio, although there may have been one or two. There was a decent crowd at the club, and some reasonably strong applause brought them our for one encore. They played just two songs, but they may have been the best of the night, including an excellent cover of "My Funny Valentine", and finishing with "Latter Days", from "Good Dog Bad Dog", which may be the very best song they've ever written. I've heard it before, but after hearing them preform it live, I'll be buying that ceedee if only for that song. Crazy? Of course, but trust me on this one, it's worth it.

Regards,
Swish

P.S. To my NY, Ohio, and Left Coast brothers and sisters, they're heading to the Mercury Lounge tonight, then back to their hometown of Cincinnati and...well, here's the whole list if you're interested in seeing them.

Sun Mar 06: New York NY, Mercury Lounge

Thu Mar 31: Cincinnati OH, 20th Century Theatre (Tix on sale soon)

Fri Apr 01: Cincinnati OH, 20th Century Theatre (Tix on sale soon)

Fri Apr 08: Dayton OH, Canal Street Tavern

Sat Apr 09: Dayton OH, Canal Street Tavern

Sun Apr 10: Dayton OH, Canal Street Tavern

Thu Apr 21: Seattle WA, Tractor Tavern

Fri Apr 22: Portland OR, Doug Fir Lounge

Sat Apr 23: Eugene OR, WOW Hall

Wed Apr 27: San Francisco CA, Swedish American Hall

Fri Apr 29: San Diego CA, Casbah

Sat Apr 30: Hollywood CA, Knitting Factory