Autolux! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Autolux!

-Jar-
03-05-2005, 05:32 AM
yea.. this is the ultimate Jar music. Only on Track 4 but hooked. Very nice, a bastard child of Sonic Youth's GOO and My Bloody Valentine's ISN'T ANYTHING. Yeah.. I like this a whole hell of a lot. So I find out that Greg Edwards from Failure is in this band. Nice to see him making some music again. Thx davey!

ps.. Davey see my pm.

-jar

Davey
03-05-2005, 08:41 AM
yea.. this is the ultimate Jar music
Yea, thought you'd dig it. Hot band and pretty popular too. All those insider connections and T-Bone Burnett producing and all that. Fun when music like this kind of breaks out, even though it may not be quite as innovative, or dangerous, or mind-bending as we'd like modern rock to be, it's still pretty damn cool :)

Sorry about the comp mixup. I'll send you another copy - unless someone else closer to you that I sent a comp to has something they were gonna send you already and they could just dupe the comp. Jar already has the cover but I somehow sent him a "mystery" disc instead of the comp. But I'll get a bare monkey bones out soon unless someone here pipes up :)

newtrix1
03-05-2005, 02:18 PM
unless someone else closer to you that I sent a comp to has something they were gonna send you already and they could just dupe the comp. :)

I've been meaning to send something to you Mason, I'll dupe Monkey Bones too. Dave, your package just arrived yesterday, I probably won't get a chance to spin either disk 'till Monday. Thanks for the bonus! PM me if you'd like to hear some more Lori Carson.

Davey
03-05-2005, 02:42 PM
I've been meaning to send something to you Mason, I'll dupe Monkey Bones too. Dave, your package just arrived yesterday, I probably won't get a chance to spin either disk 'till Monday. Thanks for the bonus! PM me if you'd like to hear some more Lori Carson.
Hey, that'd be darn cool if you two could work it out. Just make sure and check the CD-TEXT with EAC or something before you dupe it to make sure it matches the cover :)

Hey Tricky, I'd love to demo some more Lori Carson. I'm all over that. The track I put on the comp sounds almost like Martina with your namesake, Tricky. Very cool. Thanks, and I'll do you a pm.

-Jar-
03-05-2005, 05:34 PM

Hey that's cool, I surely appreciate it. I have a few things I've done recently that you might dig.. though my comp-making has taken a downhill slide the past 6 months. Take it easy. The little one turned 2 yesterday.. how fast time flies!

-jar

Slosh
03-06-2005, 05:03 AM
Me likey too. I was thinking they kinda sounded like a raunchier Pinback, at least at times. Actually they sound like what I expected Three Mile Pilot to sound like. This one will be receiving a lot of spintime around here.

Hellsayers is the kindaMzkIlike as well. More on the Doug Martsch/Built To Spill side of Neil Young than Magnolia Electric Co. which is just fine with me.

I'll have to pick both of these up (hopefully on vinyl) soon.

-Jar-
03-06-2005, 05:47 AM
hey Davey, I kind of figured that "mystery disc" might be your Hector, but I still haven't checked for sure yet. I actually went to AMG yesterday but I didn't see that he had a new album out. I guess they don't have it listed yet.

Autolux is interesting.. they really capture a sound that was pretty big about 15 years ago. Imagine Interpol coming out back in 1995 sounding like they do. I wonder how they would have been received. That's 15 years after Joy Division. I know that Menthol recorded a very Gary Numan/Cars influenced album in 1998, and their label Capitol would have no part of it. Goes to show you how it sucks to just be a few years ahead of a trend. The whole retro 80's thing really didn't start kicking in until a few years ago. I've always had the theory that music goes on 20 year cycles. I remember back in 1988 when I started college everything was about the late 60's, summer of love, the Beatles, etc. Right now we're up to 20 years after 1985. Though I'm surprised at how the whole disco thing has really infested itself into the sound of some of these retro bands (Scissor Sisters). Please tell me hair metal is not going to make a come-back.

-jar

Davey
03-06-2005, 08:18 AM
hey Davey, I kind of figured that "mystery disc" might be your Hector, but I still haven't checked for sure yet. I actually went to AMG yesterday but I didn't see that he had a new album out. I guess they don't have it listed yet.
For lots of international artists, AMG doesn't list stuff unless it gets released in the US. They have kind of a strange anglo-centric view of music, but I guess that's always been their target market and they are based here in the US. The latest Zazou was actually released in 2003 and is called Strong Currents. I've posted a couple times about it, but here (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=70988&postcount=1) is one where I included the cover image and some other odds and ends about it.

EDIT : Oh, should've read my PMs first. Yeah, Sahara Blue is one of my favorites that I'm always talking up around here. Glad you got that one. I have on my list that I sent a copy of that to Rick, but now I'm kind of confused. Oh well, as long as everybody gets something they like, whatever it might be, and however it might be labelled :)

A lot of people cling to that idea of a 20 year cycle but how do you explain all the other bands that borrowed from Joy Division throughout that cycle? And some of them were huge, like the Cure and Depeche Mode. I don't know, Interpol probably wouldn't have gotten the buzz to propel them to stardom in the mid 90s since the Strokes hadn't yet broken that whole New York scene wide open. And Coldplay hadn't yet busted open the UK and much of the rest of the world to that epic guitar Radiohead-friendly rock sound that people were longing for. But bands like U2 never left the scene either, and they carry on some (yeah, I know, not very much) of that JD sound. There was Girls Against Boys in 1995 with the whole House of GVSB that captures some of that dark and moody Joy Division sound and it was pretty big in the indie world. Funny, I was just putting together another quickie comp yesterday like Sloshy used to do, but unlike Sloshy who hates that sound, there's kind of a Joy Division and GoF thread running through it with a few different bands. Boy, that last Interpol CD does sound like crap! Talk about maximized. I hate it when bands get popular nowadays because it means the industry idiots get involved and make sure that their next CD sounds like all the other dogs</>hit they're cranking out! Sorry ... back to the normal program now. Only on my computer right now and will probably stay there, but it does sound kind of cool and goes something like this, although ever evolving ... :)

Can't Stop

Carina Round - Paris
Interpol - Length Of Love
Woven Hand - Blue Pail Fever
Girls Against Boys - Wilmington
Gang Of Four - Anthrax
Joy Division - Wilderness
The Black Heart Procession - Why I Stay
Calla - Strangler
American Music Club - Another Morning
Pinback - AFK
My Bloody Valentine - When You Sleep
The Decemberists - Grace Cathedral Hill
Explosions In The Sky - First Breath After Coma
Sue Garner and Rick Brown - Short and Semi-Sweet
Andrew Bird - A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left
TV On The Radio - Dreams
The Dismemberment Plan - Back and Forth

I do have to say that I massaged the transition from Wilmington to Anthrax and it's pretty cool. Wilmington is a real GvsB stomper, and when Scott McCloud starts to fade out at the end with the closing chorus of "Your baby's dress is on fire", I bring in Andy Gill's feedback drenched guitar at the beginning of Anthrax to drown him out. Geeky fun, I know :)

-Jar-
03-06-2005, 08:47 AM
A lot of people cling to that idea of a 20 year cycle but how do you explain all the other bands that borrowed from Joy Division throughout that cycle? And some of them were huge, like the Cure and Depeche Mode. I don't know, Interpol probably wouldn't have gotten the buzz to propel them to stardom in the mid 90s since the Strokes hadn't yet broken that whole New York scene wide open. And Coldplay hadn't yet busted open the UK and much of the rest of the world to that epic guitar Radiohead-friendly rock sound that people were longing for. But bands like U2 never left the scene either, and they carry on some (yeah, I know, not very much) of that JD sound. There was Girls Against Boys in 1995 with the whole House of GVSB that captures some of that dark and moody Joy Division sound and it was pretty big in the indie world.

I realize that JD never really went away. When I first heard Galaxie 500 I thought there was a bit of JD influence there, maybe not so much in the music but how it made me feel. I also heard JD in the more goth parts of Dead Can Dance. And the Cocteau Twins also kept that sound alive with those Peter Hooky basslines that they had. Man, HEAVEN OR LAS VEGAS is just one of my favorite albums ever. However, I do see your point, and I gree that the sound of all those early post-punk bands like JD, Gand of Four, The Cure and such has had an influence, you have to admit that it's a pretty big thing right now. That's why I thought it was unusual that Autolux was mining a sound that isn't getting a lot of attention right now, but on the other hand I do realize that there are bands who have been keeping the Noisy/Dreamy sound alive like Voyager One and Kinski and even Radiohead so that it really never went away. I have to admit though I haven't heard such a spot-on SY sound in a long time. Reminds me of a 1990 album by the Dustdevils called STRUGGLING ELECTRIC AND CHEMICAL. They kick things off with a cover of the Fall's "Hip Priest" but the rest of the album is a pretty heavy SY-influenced affair.

http://trouserpress.com/entry.php?a=dustdevils

-jar

Ex Lion Tamer
03-11-2005, 07:27 AM
Can't Stop

Carina Round - Paris
Interpol - Length Of Love
Woven Hand - Blue Pail Fever
Girls Against Boys - Wilmington
Gang Of Four - Anthrax
Joy Division - Wilderness
The Black Heart Procession - Why I Stay
Calla - Strangler
American Music Club - Another Morning
Pinback - AFK
My Bloody Valentine - When You Sleep
The Decemberists - Grace Cathedral Hill
Explosions In The Sky - First Breath After Coma
Sue Garner and Rick Brown - Short and Semi-Sweet
Andrew Bird - A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left
TV On The Radio - Dreams
The Dismemberment Plan - Back and Forth

I do have to say that I massaged the transition from Wilmington to Anthrax and it's pretty cool. Wilmington is a real GvsB stomper, and when Scott McCloud starts to fade out at the end with the closing chorus of "Your baby's dress is on fire", I bring in Andy Gill's feedback drenched guitar at the beginning of Anthrax to drown him out. Geeky fun, I know :)

Just found this thread, or at least am paying more attention today. Has this comp made it from your computer to a more tangible state yet? If it does I'd be an interested customer. Just name your price.

I have never heard Explosions in the Sky, but had a semi distracted viewing of Friday Night Lights last weekeknd, and no matter how distracted I was I usually perked up when the music soundtrack came on..."hmmm" thought I, "sounds like GYBE!, can't be...could it?" But the credits didn't list them . My intrepid internet search techniques turned up these Explosions in the Sky dudes. OK, long winded way of asking how these guys stack up. So, how do they stack up?

Davey
03-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Just found this thread, or at least am paying more attention today. Has this comp made it from your computer to a more tangible state yet? If it does I'd be an interested customer. Just name your price.

I have never heard Explosions in the Sky, but had a semi distracted viewing of Friday Night Lights last weekeknd, and no matter how distracted I was I usually perked up when the music soundtrack came on..."hmmm" thought I, "sounds like GYBE!, can't be...could it?" But the credits didn't list them . My intrepid internet search techniques turned up these Explosions in the Sky dudes. OK, long winded way of asking how these guys stack up. So, how do they stack up?
I actually did burn it and massage it a little more and gave a copy to one of my work buddies so I'll make one for you too. Not any artwork, at least not right now. Maybe I'll whip something up. Turned out to be a very nice comp.

Anyway, Explosions In The Sky sounds much like prime Mogwai, which means very very good stuff. Not exactly the same formula, but much the same results. I think Dusty posted about it on Tuesday too. Maybe nobody has talked about it as well? Don't know. But I do know that me like. That "First Breath After Coma" is the opening track on their album, and it's epic. Very cool.

Ex Lion Tamer
03-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Not any artwork, at least not right now.

NO ARTWORK!??! Well just forget it then. Just kidding...thanks Davey-Boy, and don't go to any trouble on my account...most of my mail just comes in a plain brown wrapper anyway ;).

Anyway, Explosions In The Sky sounds much like prime Mogwai, which means very very good stuff. Not exactly the same formula, but much the same results. I think Dusty posted about it on Tuesday too. Maybe nobody has talked about it as well? Don't know. But I do know that me like. That "First Breath After Coma" is the opening track on their album, and it's epic. Very cool.

Sounds like something I should check on. Though maybe I should get Mogwai first. Don't have anything except for the primo "Mogwai Fear Satan" cut from one of your comps. Maybe I have another lesser song here or there on other comps, but I can't remember at the moment. Did you see Friday Night Lights? Not a bad little flick, and the music really does enhance the visuals.

Davey
03-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Did you see Friday Night Lights? Not a bad little flick, and the music really does enhance the visuals.
No, haven't seen it yet. Didn't know it had an adventurous soundtrack. That "Mogwai Fear Satan" song is almost an album in itself, or at least an EP. They do have quite a few really good songs, but unfortunately they're spread among a few albums. I wonder if they have any collections? I do have some mini-reviews posted at my site (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/reviews.htm) for that Autolux and Hellsayers if you haven't read what I wrote here previously. Most of the reviews I collect there are just from posts I've made around here.

Dusty Chalk
03-11-2005, 07:49 PM
I think Dusty posted about it on Tuesday too. Maybe nobody has talked about it as well?I think that fast'n'bulbous guy digs it, too. I think he mentioned it over on Obner way back when I was still hangin' out there.

They did the soundtrack to Friday Night Lights because they are from the same area. I read a short column about them in one of my paper 'zines, that said that that is paying for their next album. They used to have to have day jobs, now they can concentrate purely on making music.

PS Digging the Autolux -- something about hearing the whole album in a relaxed environment is making it a completely different album. (Either that, or Borders has the wrong album programmed into their scan-n-listen system.) I think I'm 'getting' it, now.