Driving a Totem Arro [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Driving a Totem Arro

lilysdad
03-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Hi, I picked up a pair of Totem Arro speakers and am looking to use them for mainly 2 channel but occasionally as a secondary home theatre set up. My question is; what the heck kind of amplifier would be good for pure musical enjoyment in 2 channel use? The speakers are rated at 80W in 4 ohms. Every amp I look at seems to have to much power... Also if I want to ever you the set up as a secondary home theatre, I am not sure what receiver may stack up for both uses. I am looking at Denon, Nad, Carver..

Price is an issue as I have a family to feed! Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

eisforelectronic
03-05-2005, 04:49 AM
You normally don't need to worry about too much power. Too little power is usually a bigger problem. Most high current receivers should meet your needs. I personally lean towards HK for receivers. Those are nice speakers, enjoy them.

NickWH
03-05-2005, 05:41 AM
I have read about positive results when pairing those speakers with the PrimaLuna ProLogue One:

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/product.asp?itemid=11&catid=36

For pure musical enjoyment, skip a receiver.

N. Abstentia
03-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Don't worry about too much power. If you ever actually deliver 80 true watts into each of your speakers then you wouldn't be able to stand within 30 feet of it and you'd be replacing all your windows. The cops would proabably arrive soon after as well.

They will handle 80 watts, but you'll probably never need more than 15-20.

Geoffcin
03-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi, I picked up a pair of Totem Arro speakers and am looking to use them for mainly 2 channel but occasionally as a secondary home theatre set up. My question is; what the heck kind of amplifier would be good for pure musical enjoyment in 2 channel use? The speakers are rated at 80W in 4 ohms. Every amp I look at seems to have to much power... Also if I want to ever you the set up as a secondary home theatre, I am not sure what receiver may stack up for both uses. I am looking at Denon, Nad, Carver..

Price is an issue as I have a family to feed! Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

You want to go with a receiver that is rated to drive 4 ohm speakers. By choosing a receiver you will have HT capabilities too. Also; If your looking for the best quality from your speakers you can easily add a separate amp and preamp into the mix without too much trouble.

I have a separate amp & preamp driving my main Audio speakers, and I occasionally use them for HT also. It's as simple as running a lead from your receivers preamp out to the preamp of your separates.