How does Paradigm Studio match with Rotel? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How does Paradigm Studio match with Rotel?

dvjorge
03-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi guys,

I am still looking for a power amplifier for my Paradigm Studio 100 V2. Since my buget is limited, this task has't been easy. My last thinking is going to Rotel 1070 power amplifier. Never hear this model and I am worried if this could be good matching with the Studios. I was on the border of buying a Classe CA-101 but the top end frequency was rolled off for my taste. The Classe was awesome exept that detail. Anyway, How is Rotel in this department? Does Rotel hide the top end details like Classe or is more extended?
Thanks guys, your help is important for me,
George.

kexodusc
03-05-2005, 06:00 AM
I have a Rotel RA-1070 integrated. When I connect it to my Studio 40 v2 the result is quite nice. I find the Studio's to be just a bit bright anyway and this particular Rotel sounds very neutral to me compared to the NAD stuff I have (though some feel it's also a bit bright). Lots of detail anyway, not harsh or fatiguing though.
Haven't heard the Classe so can't really comment there.

drseid
03-05-2005, 06:19 AM
I have a Rotel RA-1070 integrated. When I connect it to my Studio 40 v2 the result is quite nice. I find the Studio's to be just a bit bright anyway and this particular Rotel sounds very neutral to me compared to the NAD stuff I have (though some feel it's also a bit bright). Lots of detail anyway, not harsh or fatiguing though.
Haven't heard the Classe so can't really comment there.
While I am one who views Rotel to be a tad on the bright side of neutral, I still am a big fan (and long-time owner). For the money, they are very tough to beat.

As far as detail, I believe the Rotel acquits itself nicely in that area...

---Dave

kexodusc
03-05-2005, 06:23 AM
Just curious, drseid, do you think all Rotels every single time are always bright?
Or just some models?

drseid
03-05-2005, 06:59 AM
Just curious, drseid, do you think all Rotels every single time are always bright?
Or just some models?
Now *that* is a good question... I can't say definitively that the latest models sound bright to my ears, as I have not heard them at great enough length. I haven't listened to many Rotel electronics (except my own) to the point of being able to notice all the nuances like that for quite a while now...

I *will* say that I did have some brief experiences with hearing the latest Rotel models on various B&W and Sonus Faber speakers two weeks ago, and while I was not familiar enough with the speakers to form a definitive opinion on the amps, I confess I did not hear anything that would make them stand out as bright. So it is possible that Rotel has "tweaked" its sound over the years...

---Dave

RGA
03-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Rotel isn't bright -- though some are leaner which I guess could sound bright with some speakers...it's all about system matching -- Paradigm makes Anthem -- try them as Paradigm matches them often up here.

Classe and Sim Audio and YBA(Audio Refinment) might be some to look at in SS.

Jimmy C
03-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi guys,

I am still looking for a power amplifier for my Paradigm Studio 100 V2. Since my buget is limited, this task has't been easy. My last thinking is going to Rotel 1070 power amplifier. Never hear this model and I am worried if this could be good matching with the Studios. I was on the border of buying a Classe CA-101 but the top end frequency was rolled off for my taste. The Classe was awesome exept that detail. Anyway, How is Rotel in this department? Does Rotel hide the top end details like Classe or is more extended?
George.

I was using the 995/991 pre/pow combo with the Studio 60s, no problems.

Not sure about the new stuff, but I would doubt a significant departure from my amp. If anything, Rotel is a bit subdued at certain frequencies... never bright. A Bryston, for eg., will be more foward. You're simply sitting a bit further away from the stage with the Rotel... not a huge diff. in that department.

I'm sure there a many other amps that would be fine, but if that's what's in your area, you're getting a good deal, (whatever) go for it. Nice parts selection, and well fuse protected. I agree... the Classe might be a bit syrupy in comparison - besides, aren't they mucho more coin?

You might also try the Stratos, but I thought my amp had more gonads - maybe a result of the extra HP? Not sure.

Take a listen, and let us know. I doubt you'll be dissappinted.

Pat D
03-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Hi guys,

George.
The Rotel will work fine. So would the Classe, I'm sure.

Shwamdoo
03-05-2005, 03:12 PM
I think that "forward" is a great way to describe most of Rotels electronics. I haven't found any of them to be fatiguing or harsh. Simply forward and detailed. From what I have heard, Rotel does not have the musicality that bands like NAD and Arcam have. NAD and Arcam have a milder midrange and sound very smooth. Perhaps this is why many people may find the Rotel bright in comaprison.

46minaudio
03-05-2005, 03:57 PM
I think that "forward" is a great way to describe most of Rotels electronics. I haven't found any of them to be fatiguing or harsh. Simply forward and detailed. From what I have heard, Rotel does not have the musicality that bands like NAD and Arcam have. NAD and Arcam have a milder midrange and sound very smooth. Perhaps this is why many people may find the Rotel bright in comaprison.
Rotel makes a fine product.Under proper conditions U would be hard pressed to tell a difference....

dvjorge
03-06-2005, 08:59 AM
I was on the border to buy the Classe how I said. It was a terrific amplifier with only that issue at high frequency which retrated me. I used to listening to Nad for years and they are very detailed. Now, I am trying to buy another amplifier better than Nad. My Nad doesn't have the righ power to drive the Studio 100. As a result, when I turned up the volume, it become harsh and distorted. I have a chance with an Acurus A-200 but no information and references about Acurus. I don't know in which level is Acurus and if we can compare it with Rotel or Nad.
thank guys,
Jorge

RGA
03-06-2005, 12:50 PM
If it's the NAD 370 it has more than enough power to drive the Studio 100v2...the C370 can produce a kilowatt into 1ohm...it is one of the msot powerful integrated amplifiers available...that doesn;t mean it sounds the best but it can drive the 100V2 and it can probably muscle them better than any Rotel or Arcam Integrated - and many power amps for that matter.

Duds
03-07-2005, 07:27 AM
I auditioned speakers this weekend, and they were being powered with Rotel. I auditioned the B&W 601, and the Paradigm Studio 20v3. I found them both to sound very nice, i liked the studio 20's paired with the Rotel very very much

dvjorge
03-07-2005, 05:15 PM
it is on the way. Probably, I will get it on saturday. Based on Rotel reputation, I bought it. I think I will be happy. I am going to keep you informed.
Thanks,
jorge

ParaRotel
04-07-2005, 12:31 PM
undefined
George,

I hooked up my Ref Studio 100 V2's with a Rotel RC-1070 pre-amp and 2 RB-1070 power amps in a "verticle bi-amp set-up" and REALLY like the results. If I were to single amp these speakers, using Rotel, I would not go with anything less than a RB-1080, and then would most certainly use a bi-wire output configuration. Have fun!!! Check this link to see some hook-up advise: http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize031998.htm

Mike

Hi guys,

George.