Ar.com DIY's cut, assembled, routered and veneered in 4.5 hours. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ar.com DIY's cut, assembled, routered and veneered in 4.5 hours.

kexodusc
03-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Man, I was smokin' fast today...building yet another set of my favorite speakers...had extra MDF and veneer lying around, thought "why not?"
Staining and varnishing tomorrow...
This will be the 7th pair I've made to date...I'm pretty sure I did these twice as fast as the originals.
If anyone's wondering, I use non-backed veneer and contact cement now...waaaay faster than working with backed veneers IMO, ...cuts like a dream, too...

madmax1
03-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Was wondering where you get the dir on how to make some of these? Or web sites with DIY projects thx

kexodusc
03-13-2005, 11:34 AM
If you click the "Learn" link at the top of this page (in the blue bar up top) you'll see another link to DIY speakers.
That's this particular design.
For others, check out:
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=29
http://www.madisound.com
or
www.speakerbuilder.net

The "tech-talk" forums at the parts express site are an excellent source for beginners...tons of helpful people there.

madmax1
03-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Thank you for the sites.Gonna give it try soon.

DaHaq
03-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Looking good! I have a pair of AR DIYs, but I bought the cabinets pre-made. I still need to build some rears, might try making the cabinets myself this time....but I can't decide whether to build those or a sub first! decisions decisions

kexodusc
03-14-2005, 03:40 AM
I've got 6 of these things going now...The sub is the current project, 15" Dayton Quatro, 240 watts of power, in a sealed, 3.52 cubic ft cabinet. 110 dB, 19 Hz, and all the musicality a sealed sub delivers.
This thing's gonna be heavy though.

DaHaq, if you've already got cabinets, you might want to buy the pre-made ones again (unless they're black). I know a few others that pull their hair out because no matter how hard they try they couldn't get a close enough color/veneer match. If you're married, this could be especially important. Of course, you can save a good chunk of money building them, and maybe just refinish the existing ones....
Good luck.