Stereophile to review vintage gear! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stereophile to review vintage gear!

Geoffcin
03-04-2005, 04:23 PM
All,

Just read in the February issue that they will have a review of vintage gear in the magazine. The first one will be a Fisher 500c Receiver.

Do we know anyone who uses a vintage Fisher receiver here?

ericl
03-04-2005, 06:02 PM
heh heh.

My 500C has kept me happy for about three years now. It is a solid, reliable beast with great sound. I've been meaning to do a photo shoot/write up of my vintage gear, maybe this weekend.

I've also been wondering what kind of tweaks I could do to this thing.

I'll be interested to see what they have to say.

-Eric

Geoffcin
03-04-2005, 06:46 PM
heh heh.

My 500C has kept me happy for about three years now. It is a solid, reliable beast with great sound. I've been meaning to do a photo shoot/write up of my vintage gear, maybe this weekend.

I've also been wondering what kind of tweaks I could do to this thing.

I'll be interested to see what they have to say.

-Eric

I don't think you'ld have to be one either to do some tweaking. Volume pots seem to be the first think to go on vintage equipment. My guess is that the it could be switched out for a new one pretty easily.

ericl
03-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Some things I'd like to do:

-change the "reverb in/out" jacks or whatever they are to pre-out/main inputs
-remove the tone controls from the preamp circuitry
-do some tube rolling - easy enough, i'm just lazy. I've got to find a schematic and identify which are the best tubes to replace. Another thing is I don't have a tube tester so I really have no solid way to tell when a tubes gone bad.
-it might be fun to try a different output tube than the current 7591
-change the rca jacks and speaker posts from the tiny, corroded (sp?) stock jacks to something modern to accomodate today's cables
-other nice tweaks that may not be known to me at this time

The flip side of this is doing damage to such a classic piece. I don't want to destroy it. I don't want to hurt resale value or the voicing of the unit. If i do all these mods I might as well just buy a new amp. Although I did swap out the crappy old power cord with a chris venhaus power cord a few years back for a VERY nice improvement.

-ERic