Thought I'd share my killer deal! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd share my killer deal!

midfiguy
03-04-2005, 09:14 AM
So, I was able to score an Adcom GFA 555 this morning for, get this... ...$60! While it may not be a krell or conrad johnson, I think this puppy (200 watts per channel @ 8ohm, 350 @ 4) will definately be an improvement for my fronts over the Marantz SR8000.

It is quite old, but in excellent condition. Apparantly, the reviews are raving:

http://www.stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/678/

That being said, is there any real risk in buying an old amp like this, other than having to replace the fuses, or do amp generally have a long lifespan?

Anyone have any experience with it? I figured in the event I don't like it, I can sell it on ebay where they are going for about 4-5 times this price!

ericl
03-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Score! I had one of those to go with my passive sub, but I sold it. Wish I hadn't..

E-Stat
03-04-2005, 11:32 AM
So, I was able to score an Adcom GFA 555 this morning for, get this... ...$60!
That was quite a score. It was designed by Nelson Pass of Threshold and Pass Labs fame.

That being said, is there any real risk in buying an old amp like this, other than having to replace the fuses, or do amp generally have a long lifespan?
The electrolytics in the power supply will eventually need to be replaced. When? Good ones can last 20+ years. Speaking of Nelson Pass designs, my 1981 Threshold Stasis is still running just fine in the vintage system.

rw

kexodusc
03-04-2005, 12:11 PM
$60? That makes me sick...I'll give $120 for it...

Toga
03-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Just a warning:

I had an Adcom GFA 555 try to kill me. I was setting it up in a manufacturing environment, which included 3 prong grounded stack of testing equipment. Naturally the unbalanced RCA signal lines were thus grounded to both the AC line GND and audio ground THROUGH the ground plane on the circuit board to the case of the amplifier. Imagine my surprise when a significant amount of smoke and flame gouted from the top of the unit as soon as I plugged it in! >:O

You see, when the amp was manufactured, there was a solder splash from the power switch leads that contacted the CASE, making it HOT (120VAC potential). The amp had been kicking a few years, and hadn't actually killed anyone yet. But the day it was presented with a hard ground from case through circuit board to RCA shield...

BOOM

Beware poor workmanship; it could get you killed.

46minaudio
03-04-2005, 04:51 PM
So, I was able to score an Adcom GFA 555 this morning for, get this... ...$60! While it may not be a krell or conrad johnson, I think this puppy (200 watts per channel @ 8ohm, 350 @ 4) will definately be an improvement for my fronts over the Marantz SR8000.

It is quite old, but in excellent condition. Apparantly, the reviews are raving:

http://www.stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/678/

Anyone have any experience with it? I figured in the event I don't like it, I can sell it on ebay where they are going for about 4-5 times this price!
While not the 555,I did have the 5500.Compared to my Aragon 8008st there was no difference in SQ .If you want ill take it off your hands for 2x the pricehttp://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
Talking

thepogue
03-11-2005, 05:35 PM
SCORES!!!

good job laddy!!...ya make me proud!!

Peace and Pawn Shops, Pogue