'twas the Tuesday Before Christmas.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 'twas the Tuesday Before Christmas....

audiobill
12-23-2003, 07:25 AM
and all through the house, CDs were spinning & no Strauss. So, what are you all listening to??

I'm on holidays, so my weekly spins are up significantly this week:

The Rolling Stones "Beggars Banquet"
Sprititualized "Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space"
Frodus "And We Washed Our Weapons In the Sea"
Don Henley "The End of the Innocence"
Bob Dylan "Biograph" disc 3
PJ Harvey "Rid of Me"
The Boo Radleys "Kingsize"
Andrew Bird "Bowl of Fire the Swimming Hour"
The Kinks "Are the Village Green Preservation Society" (thx Dave)
Big Star "#1 Record/Radio City"
Television "Marquee Moon"
The Strokes "Room on Fire"
Stereolab "Emperor Tomato Ketchup"
Sonic Youth "Daydream Nation" (just bought this one)
Gillian Welch "The Revelator"

comps
Season's Greeting 2003 (just arrived yesterday -- standout tracks by........Wheat, Broken Soc Scene, the Wrens, Martina Topley-Bird; band I could not like......Head of Femur -- a BIG thank you Dave!!

Total Relapse (Sloshy)
The Lemon Crate (allears)
The Kinks: TODAC (Stone)
The Inieterminacy Principle (Jar)

Come on now...........share yours
audiobill

Jim Clark
12-23-2003, 08:00 AM
First off I'd like to thank Jdaniel for the Christmas card that arrived last week. That guy is really top shelf, isn't he? Personally I'm really a bit behind this year and didn't even make the attempt. I still have my Grandmother's gift here and it really needs to get to the post office like now. I also received the Christmas comp in the mail yesterday. Funny thing too since I regretted not asking for a copy. At the time I was inundated with comps and last minute purchases and made the foolish decision to pass. Christmas only comes once a year and if you can't make time for the Holiday toons then something is probably amiss. I know both my wife and I enjoyed listening to the disc as we had a little wrapping party last night. Many thanks.

In addition to Jdaniels disc I also listened to most of the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas albums and as always found plenty of time for Christmas Island by Mr. Jimmy Buffett.

Other non-secular discs-
1oo'th Window -Massive Attack, over and over
Logic Will Break Your Heart-The Stills, over and over again too.
Echoes-Rapture, which I really don't like nearly as much as I'd hoped.
New Order-Get Ready
Ryan Adams-Heartbreaker
Lucinda Williams-World Without Tears
Rubberneckin'-Elvis Presley (Oakenfold remix) I'd really like to work this into my year end comp but so far it just doesn't work at all.

Spent a great deal of time working on my 2003 year end comp which is almost-not quite there. 80 minutes is just too dang limiting this year. Cover is done though!

Happy Holiday Season to all! And to all good toons!

jc

-Jar-
12-23-2003, 08:22 AM
Finch "HEAVY HANGERS" - hey remember I have little kids finch!! heheh.. nice cover tho.. overall a nice comp, some pretty cool things I hadn't heard before, the BLINK 182 song was actually pretty cool.. 30 Seconds to Mars was great, been wondering about them.. the guy on AMG called their album best of the year or something.. there were a few Nu-Metal tracks that didn't float my boat all that much, I can just see the guys with long dread locks hopping up and down on stage though.. hehe.. thanks!

Mike's "FLY THE FLAG" - nice collection of stuff here.. several bands I need to investigate further.

other stuff
Slowdive - PYGMALION
This Mortal Coil - BLOOD
Opeth - DELIVERANCE
Craw - LOST NATION ROAD
Paul Schutze - NEW MAPS OF HELL

merry *insert festive holiday* everyone!!

-jar

Davey.
12-23-2003, 08:33 AM
band I could not like......Head of Femur
Hehehe....guess everybody can't have my good taste ;)

The Curve That Byrd song kinda reminds me of XTC which probably isn't one of your favorite bands either, eh? The Eno cover seems pretty faithful to the original, although at a faster pace. Maybe one of those bands that I love for some reason that most people don't understand. Seems to be at least one each year :)

Other than a few listens to the Head of Femur CD which has been in steady rotation for the last few weeks....

Laika - Wherever...like ice cream...i like ice cream
Josh Ritter - Hello Starling...hello josh...nice debut
Davey - On Some Faraway Beach...not a bad compus maximus
Sloshy - Mysterioso...me like silly mysteries...and DCFC too
Okkervil River - Down The River...lots of times...too many times
Mikey - Inspired Baubles...lots of good new music...reminds me how small my world is
Califone - Deceleration Two...cool soundtrack weirdness with guaranteed room clearing qualities
Davey - Beneath the Mambo Sun...beneath the bebop moon I want to croon with you

And the Shins...lots of Shins - Chutes Too Narrow....love this album....slowly becoming my favorite of the year....maybe....i've said that a few times before :)

And....hey we should have a weekly book thread too....just finished a really cool book by Michael Flynn titled The Wreck of <i>The River of Stars</i>....2003 release with comedy, sex, danger, suspense and the vast emptiness of space combining in an imaginative tale of human tragedy on the luxury liner <i>The River of Stars</i>...next up C.J. Cherryh's late 80s epic Cyteen

Swish
12-23-2003, 08:40 AM
before you! Man are you in trouble now. :mad: Well, for those who see your thread and not Chip's, I'll repeat myself;

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Calla - Televise
Lucinda Williams - Essence
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
Guster - Keep it Together
Nada Surf - Let Go

I'm holding off on the holiday tunes until tomorrow night when I'll be hosting a party for family and a few neighbors.

Swish Baby

Jim Clark
12-23-2003, 08:54 AM
before you! Man are you in trouble now. :mad: Well, for those who see your thread and not Chip's, I'll repeat myself;

Swish Baby

Actually Allear's has a time stamp of 9:25 and Chip's is 9:41. One more reason not to bring back the death penalty for such offenses. Funny problem to have since a couple of weeks back it didn't get started until 2:00 central. Guess we have some folks off work today.

Regards,
jc

Swish
12-23-2003, 09:03 AM
Actually Allear's has a time stamp of 9:25 and Chip's is 9:41. One more reason not to bring back the death penalty for such offenses. Funny problem to have since a couple of weeks back it didn't get started until 2:00 central. Guess we have some folks off work today.

Regards,
jc

Just one more reason to HATE THIS NEW FORUM. Actually, it does have its merits, but I still liked the old one. Avatars? Who really needs 'em? I do like the tool bar though since it nearly eliminates the need for HTML.. But man is it tough to follow conversations within threads. I think I'd rather stay home and have pins stuck in my eyes.

Swish

Jim Clark
12-23-2003, 09:07 AM
Just one more reason to HATE THIS NEW FORUM. Actually, it does have its merits, but I still liked the old one. Avatars? Who really needs 'em? I do like the tool bar though since it nearly eliminates the need for HTML.. But man is it tough to follow conversations within threads. I think I'd rather stay home and have pins stuck in my eyes.

Swish

And my bad, it was Audiobill, not Allears. Maybe I should just move along to something else. Yep, I think it's time.

jc

Troy
12-23-2003, 10:36 AM
http://www.lostamerica.com/samplestuff/tuesday.jpg

The Anekdoten is like goth-prog. Pretty good, maybe even JC would like it.

The Mermen rawk. Genius.

That Mercury Rev sounds better after putting it away for 6 months. It's just a bit over the top for me. Very soundtracky.

I like that RPWL more and more.

Thanks Finchy for the second Signify disc. Lots of interesting demo junk on there. A very different sound.

JDaniel
12-23-2003, 11:07 AM
I've listened to a ton of holiday tunes, so I decided to take a break. Been spinning:

Jerry Garcia/David Grisman "Not for Kids Only"

ABB "Brothers & Sisters"

Santana "Abraxas"

Joe Walsh "Anthology" and "Look What I Did!"

Sigur Ros "()"

Pat Green "Wave on Wave"

Wilco "YHF"

Comps:

JC's "Mystery Comp" aka Marianne Faithfull. Sorry I didn't get to do a full review before you summarized it all Jim. Thanks for including me.

FP's RYKO comp. Surprised (in a good way) with this one. Strange collection of tunes, but somehow it works. Thanks Garee.

jasn's "Blue-Eyed Soul Vol 1" Another pleasant surprise. This comp has some great old tunes on it, and reminded me that too much I neglect good/old music in my collection in the never-ending search for something new. I must admit, I cringed a little when I saw a BeeGees tune on there, but this comp is a lot of fun. There's some gems on here, such as The Rascals "Love is a Beautiful Thing", Steely Dan "Pretzel Logic", Tony Joe White's "Poke Salad Annie", Robert Palmer's "Can We Still Be Friends?", Tommy James & the Shondells "Crystal Blue Persuasion" etc.... Thanks for sending it jasn.

Jack70's "Hillbilly Heroes"

JD

Jim Clark
12-23-2003, 12:01 PM
JC's "Mystery Comp" aka Marianne Faithfull.[/b] Sorry I didn't get to do a full review before you summarized it all Jim. Thanks for including me.

JD

Sorry, didn't mean to step on your toes but Finch had already pronounced the thing dead, and he was correct. It sure looked like everybody who was gonna say something had. I probably shouldn't have gone ahead with the post, but then again, I probably shouldn't have sent out the disc in the first place. Live and learn.

jc

jasn
12-23-2003, 06:05 PM
jasn's "Blue-Eyed Soul Vol 1" Another pleasant surprise. This comp has some great old tunes on it, and reminded me that too much I neglect good/old music in my collection in the never-ending search for something new. I must admit, I cringed a little when I saw a BeeGees tune on there, but this comp is a lot of fun. There's some gems on here, such as The Rascals "Love is a Beautiful Thing", Steely Dan "Pretzel Logic", Tony Joe White's "Poke Salad Annie", Robert Palmer's "Can We Still Be Friends?", Tommy James & the Shondells "Crystal Blue Persuasion" etc.... Thanks for sending it jasn.

Thanks for the great review JD. I popped it in the mail after requesting your excelent Xmas Comp. Yours will to be on heavy rotation for our annual Christmas Eve Party tomorrow night. The Leon Redbone cuts are my favorites.

I'd be happy to send out more copies of the Blue-Eyed Soul, Vol 1 comp to anyone interested. Just drop me a PM here at AR. (BTW, I think the old BeeGees cut "To Love Somebody" is quite worthy of its place on the CD).

Happy Holidays everyone!