5 Channel Amplifier Your Opinions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5 Channel Amplifier Your Opinions

hershon
03-03-2005, 11:55 PM
My friend Paul who I respect says an amplifier will improve your CD sound quality if you just connect your receiver straight to this and your receivers to the amp.. What is your opinion? What exactly does an amplifier do that a regular receiver to speaker connection can not do? In my case we're talking playing music in a normal sized living room in a carpeted apartment so there are no volume issues here. Will the sound quality improve significantly playing Cd's through an amp so that any amplifier connected to a receiver will improve the quality. If so, is there a difference in sound quality depending on the amp brand?

topspeed
03-04-2005, 12:26 AM
My friend Paul who I respect says an amplifier will improve your CD sound quality if you just connect your receiver straight to this and your receivers to the amp.. What is your opinion?It depends. Do the speakers present loads that the receiver can't handle? Can you hear compression at high volumes? How loud do you play it anyway? Are the speakers efficient? How seriously do you take this hobby? A lot a variables in that question.

What exactly does an amplifier do that a regular receiver to speaker connection can not do?I just answered this a week ago so I'll cut and paste it again: Receivers, especially mass market ones, have to stuff a preamp, surround processor, video processor, multiple amps, and enough dsp modes that you can replicate the actual acoustics of the third stall in the men's bathroom at Yankee Stadium, all into one convenient, market friendly chassis and all at a convenient, market friendly price. Corners will be cut. Usually the first place to get hit is the power supply, caps, and amp section. Why? Amps aren't sexy...DPLIIx and DTS Neo 6 are. I don't know about you, but I consider the amplifier to be rather important. Consider if you were trying to drive a full set of Martin Logan, Thiel, or other speakers that present difficult loads. How well do you really think a receiver's pathetic power supply is going to handle it?

Will the sound quality improve significantly playing Cd's through an amp so that any amplifier connected to a receiver will improve the quality. First off, the purest signal you can get would be to connect your cd player directly to the amp (as long as the cdp has enough gain, and it's adjustable of course). Second, not all amps are created equal so it is very possible to make your system sound worse if enough care isn't given into your decision. That said, the cd's you're talking about (i.e. Beatles) won't sound any better and I doubt you'll hear the improvement you're looking for. They are simply bad recordings Hershon, and no amount of tinkering with your system will change that. In fact, the more accurate and revealing your system becomes, the more likely those recordings are going to sound worse. Sorry, but that's the reality of it.

Is there a difference in sound quality depending on the amp brand?Yes, especially if your comparing ARC tubes with Krell solid state amps. You can absolutely tell the difference.

hershon
03-04-2005, 12:58 AM
Lensman had recommended an amplifier with tubes. Are there 5 channel tube amplifiers available or were they of the 2 channel variety only?

I'm a little confused by some of your response & I probably should have elaborated more. Assuming I continue to use my Orb speakers & sub and my JVC DVD 500 watt receiver, will I get a noticeably better sound for my rock CD's, having this system connected through a 5 channel amp, on the whole. Assume volume has not been an issue as I play it fairly loud within limits from living in an apartment? Thanks for any advice.

It depends. Do the speakers present loads that the receiver can't handle? Can you hear compression at high volumes? How loud do you play it anyway? Are the speakers efficient? How seriously do you take this hobby? A lot a variables in that question.

I just answered this a week ago so I'll cut and paste it again: Receivers, especially mass market ones, have to stuff a preamp, surround processor, video processor, multiple amps, and enough dsp modes that you can replicate the actual acoustics of the third stall in the men's bathroom at Yankee Stadium, all into one convenient, market friendly chassis and all at a convenient, market friendly price. Corners will be cut. Usually the first place to get hit is the power supply, caps, and amp section. Why? Amps aren't sexy...DPLIIx and DTS Neo 6 are. I don't know about you, but I consider the amplifier to be rather important. Consider if you were trying to drive a full set of Martin Logan, Thiel, or other speakers that present difficult loads. How well do you really think a receiver's pathetic power supply is going to handle it?

First off, the purest signal you can get would be to connect your cd player directly to the amp (as long as the cdp has enough gain, and it's adjustable of course). Second, not all amps are created equal so it is very possible to make your system sound worse if enough care isn't given into your decision. That said, the cd's you're talking about (i.e. Beatles) won't sound any better and I doubt you'll hear the improvement you're looking for. They are simply bad recordings Hershon, and no amount of tinkering with your system will change that. In fact, the more accurate and revealing your system becomes, the more likely those recordings are going to sound worse. Sorry, but that's the reality of it.
Yes, especially if your comparing ARC tubes with Krell solid state amps. You can absolutely tell the difference.

kexodusc
03-04-2005, 05:43 AM
Lensman had recommended an amplifier with tubes. Are there 5 channel tube amplifiers available or were they of the 2 channel variety only?

I'm a little confused by some of your response & I probably should have elaborated more. Assuming I continue to use my Orb speakers & sub and my JVC DVD 500 watt receiver, will I get a noticeably better sound for my rock CD's, having this system connected through a 5 channel amp, on the whole. Assume volume has not been an issue as I play it fairly loud within limits from living in an apartment? Thanks for any advice.

Hershon...why a 5-channel amp? Why not just buy a cheap 2-channel amp for stereo and try it out?

N. Abstentia
03-04-2005, 07:45 AM
With your equipment I doubt you'll hear much difference just by adding an amp. Use that $1000 or so to replace that all-in-one JVC unit!

topspeed
03-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Lensman had recommended an amplifier with tubes. Are there 5 channel tube amplifiers available or were they of the 2 channel variety only? There's probably some boutique manufacturer out there somewhere that makes a tube multichannel amp, but it will likely be absolutely enormous, generate more heat than the sun, and be hideously expensive. Even the hi-end tube names like Cary, ARC, and BAT utilize either ss or digital technology for their multichannel amps. Usually, tube amps come in either 2 channel or mono configuration. I suppose if you really wanted to, you get 5 tube monoblocs, but you'd better have the space, patience, and bank account to make it happen. IMO, tubes can be wonderful amps but they aren't for everyone and certainly not for every application.

I'm a little confused by some of your response & I probably should have elaborated more. Assuming I continue to use my Orb speakers & sub and my JVC DVD 500 watt receiver, will I get a noticeably better sound for my rock CD's, having this system connected through a 5 channel amp, on the whole. Assume volume has not been an issue as I play it fairly loud within limits from living in an apartment? Thanks for any advice.Probably not. You're talking about spending more on a multichannel amp than your whole system cost! There is no logic in that friend. The easiest, cheapest, and most effective way to improve your sound would be to replace your Orbs. I know you love 'em, however their specs do raise some questions. The satellites are rated 120hz-18khz and while the sub is rated 32hz-180hz, that awfully high to make a sub reach. At these frequencies, the sound is completely directional so I'm wondering how seemless a presentation you're achieving? Take a trip to a dedicated audio store, not Fry's, BB, GG, or anything like that. I'm talking about a place that specializes in audio. Drive down to The Digital Ear in Tustin or find a similar place in LA (there's plenty to choose from) and audition a full range rig with and without a sub. I think you'll find it enlightening. Keep in mind, I'm not saying you have to go out and spend thousands and thousands of dollars to get great sound because you don't, but the experience may help you to priortize your needs.

paul_pci
03-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Precisely, TopSpeek. I plan on taking him down to Soundfactor sometime next week or weekend so he can get an idea of different speakers and amps/receivers, et al. And trust me, I won't let him drop $200 on an optical cable.