B&W's new 800 series [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W's new 800 series

newbsterv2
03-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Hi everyone!! Has anyone gone out to audition the new 800 series from B&W? I've done so and really like what I've heard. I don't know if it's a coloration that I'm hearing or if I'm just hearing what a well designed and implemented speaker should sound like. I know in the end it doesn't really matter and that everything discussed here is sibjective but I'm just curious to hear the opinions of the veterans who frequent this forum. Happy listening!

drseid
03-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi everyone!! Has anyone gone out to audition the new 800 series from B&W? I've done so and really like what I've heard. I don't know if it's a coloration that I'm hearing or if I'm just hearing what a well designed and implemented speaker should sound like. I know in the end it doesn't really matter and that everything discussed here is sibjective but I'm just curious to hear the opinions of the veterans who frequent this forum. Happy listening!
I heard the new 804s (but they don't have the diamond tweeter)...

I confess I was not really impressed, but they were being driven by a receiver (a good Rotel receiver, but still...) so maybe I did not hear their complete capabilities.

My feeling was their imaging was about above average, their sweet-spot relatively small, and I thought the mid-range had some coloration to it that I did not care for... The soundstage was relatively narrow and shallow too...

I guess just not my cup of tea, but as you said, speakers are very subjective and I am sure many will love the new 804s.

---Dave

shokhead
03-05-2005, 05:35 AM
I dont think most recievers will work them at 50-1000watts and with only a sensitivity of 90,thats pretty low for a monster,imo.

drseid
03-05-2005, 06:04 AM
I dont think most recievers will work them at 50-1000watts and with only a sensitivity of 90,thats pretty low for a monster,imo.
Well... I would not call the 804s "a monster," per se... After all they really do have a pretty small profile (or is it I am just used to much larger speakers nowadays?)...

At the volume levels I listened to them at, I don't think wattage was any problem at all, *especially* at a 90db sensitivity rating (which is actually quite good). If the Rotel would have had any problems, it would have been on the impedance front, not wattage in any way...

Quite frankly, I don't think the Rotel receiver *did* have any problems, really... But, when you are doing a demo in a Audio store, you can never *really* be 100% certain... As such, I felt I should at least give the 804s the benefit of the doubt.

---Dave

shokhead
03-05-2005, 07:27 AM
I dont think 90 is quite good for that speaker. 93 and up would be.