Studio 20 v2 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Studio 20 v2

Duds
03-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Stopped in a place during lunch to look at a pair of Studio 20 v2's. They had them listed for $595, the guy told me $750 with a pair of Paradigm stands (the speakers can be attached to the stands). I asked how much without the stands, he said $550. Do you think if they took $500 it would be a good deal?

I liked the fact that the speakers can be screwed to the stands since i have a dog, but I didnt really like the looks of the stands. Plus I thought the stands were quite over-priced.

Obviously i have to listen to them too before i make a decision. I stated in another post that I really liked the studio 20 v3, so i may end up liking the v2's as well.

Any thoughts? suggestions?

thanks!

RGA
03-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Well they're a used speaker -- so look at what else you can buy used for $500.00 --- you may like something else better. As for the V2 well I think the 100V2 is a considerably better speaker than the 100V3 so IF that is also true for the 20 then you might actually get a better speaker than the new one. This happens a lot B&W new series isn;t as good as the older series -- indeed the matrix series in the 80s I think is better than the Nautilus series of the 90s and I'm not alone...reducing costs and trying to maximize profits can improve looks can adversely affect sound.

The stands well I would try Skylan http://www.skylanstands.com/stands.htm prices are in Canadian funds and he will custom build them -- they are well finished and good value.

Yes it is important that you listen -- nomatter how good reviews and how much you see em advertised does not mean you'll like them -- but if you do buy em.

Duds
03-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Thank you for both replies RGA. I actually have/had Dynaudio on my list of speakers I wanted to hear, but I cant find a dealer that is very close to me. I also heard they were hard to drive, but that may or may not be an issue.

I know you are a big Audio Note fan. how do they do with the music i listed? Like I said in my other post, i dont need/like a ton of bass, i just want accurate, fast bass.

RGA
03-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Bass is supurb -- I'm not a bass freak and most speakers sound thuddy and one note - It's tough to do well and that is where the AX Two really won out over the comparable but far more expensive speakers from B&W and Paradigm....No they are certainly not perfect they are not as rich and full sounding as the bigger AN's nor do they go as deep - but they are also a fraction of the cost. At under $1kCdn I have heard nothing better -- but unfortunately I am viewed as being biased as an owner of their other speakers -- but that is not really diferent than getting suggestions from Paradigm or B&W owners (The latter I used to own).

It really makes no difference if you don't have access to hearing them -- I always say you need to listen and if in a given area you can;t oh well life goes on...there are a lot of speakers I would like to hear buit no one carries...because the big guys take up the floor space. Big doesn't mean better as Bose demonstrates as the largest speaker maker in the world. I suggest simply trying the no names(lesser names) your dealer carries if they carry any. there is so much better than B&W and Paradigm and if I found it some no name outfit then they probably are not the only company -- after all if you last for over 20 years and close to 30 years without advertising they might have something going for them. As an owner I am biased obviously and I like to go for the David I suppose.

The AX Two doesn't have the deepest bass -- but it has incredibly realistic bass and the only speaker for this kind of coin that can reproduce a piano realistically(that I have heard) it is open with a big stage piano tonality that is remarkly clean but with resonant woody body to the instrument--- that in itself is astonishing in my view because a LOT of speakers and many deemed very good ones by magazines are frankly put to shame. It's not how much you spend in audio that counts -- and that is quite a fun thing to realize.

The reason i like the AX Two goes beyond just the sound as well -- here in Canada they are $700.00Cdn -- they are built by hand in Denmark use good VIFA drivers and good binding posts add in some good Skylan stands for $200.00 which si the way I heard them and for $900.00Cdn well a very exceptional product --- and then you see what could be spent at Future Shop or Audio Video Unlimited for three times that and you wonder. I like the 604 from B&W and I'm not a fan of subwoofers...but since the floorstander doesn;t integrate seamlessly all that great --- one could buy the AX Two at 700.00Cdn and the Stands for $200.00Cdn and an $1100.00 Subwoofer for the same money as the B&W 604 retails here for.

But I am biased so maybe it's better to read what others have to say about them as well or simply go and listen -- the proof is in the pudding as it were.

There are speakers on the market that do "pyrotechnics" better such as SLAM and speakers that can play very loud with deepr bass but I find that speakers that I notice are doing those things are speakers i would not want to listen to all day.

Audio Note also designs the entire chain from start to finish and have control of the sound they're after...very few companies do this and even ones who do are not as noted for doing all of it exceptionally well. Other listeners may be perceived as being more objective than me though. Tubes matter for Audio Note speakers as well --- if you want to hear what tubes can do over SS you need a speaker that does em justice.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-21756.html
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16130&highlight=AX-Two (if you follow this thread a bit more you'll see how the view changes a bit).

Woochifer
03-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Stopped in a place during lunch to look at a pair of Studio 20 v2's. They had them listed for $595, the guy told me $750 with a pair of Paradigm stands (the speakers can be attached to the stands). I asked how much without the stands, he said $550. Do you think if they took $500 it would be a good deal?

I liked the fact that the speakers can be screwed to the stands since i have a dog, but I didnt really like the looks of the stands. Plus I thought the stands were quite over-priced.

Obviously i have to listen to them too before i make a decision. I stated in another post that I really liked the studio 20 v3, so i may end up liking the v2's as well.

thanks!

Just so you know, the 20 v.2 is not predrilled for standmounting. The Premier stands that Paradigm sells have screw holes in the top plates. I can't remember for sure, but I believe that the 20 v.3 is predrilled and matched to the Premier stands.

$500 is the maximum that you should pay for a pair of Studio 20 v.2s, unless they're the veneered models (those have hardwood inserts on the sides that bow out slightly from the cabinet). The veneered models sold for about $150 more than the laminate models.

The v.3 series has a noticeably different sound from the v.2 series, so I would not be too sure that the 20 v.2 will be to your liking. Like I said, the design parameters were changed with the 20 v.3. The frequency response is more even in the bass range, but that was done by sacrificing some of the low end extension. You might find that you prefer the extra low end extension and the +3-5 db pop in the bass in the midbass range. However, while the 20 v.2 is an excellent imaging speaker, the 20 v.3 is a standout in that facet. Plus, the midrange and highs sound somewhat more refined.

Definitely give it a listen because it does sound different. Personally, I think that the 20 v.3 is a superior speaker overall, but at $800, it is considerably more expensive. It's up to you to decide whether or not the performance difference is worthwhile. Another consideration is if you intend to build a surround setup at some point. You will want to match the components as much as possible, and currently the v.2 center speaker and surround speakers are not as easy to find because you have to go through the used channel.

Duds
03-04-2005, 05:32 AM
Thanks for that info. I didnt think they were pre-drilled. Definitely not going to purchase them now.

I plan on spending a lot of time on saturday auditioning speakers. Found out that PSB, Wharfdale and Monitor Audio are also carried in my area. Any suggestions for these three brands that I should audition?

46minaudio
03-04-2005, 11:36 AM

thanks!
The Mini Monitor is a fine product...Paradigm has been in the business for many years..And have done plenty of R&D on the products they sell..Its better to read what others have to say about them. or simply go and listen .
http://www.audioreview.com/speakers/main-speaker/Paradigm/PRD_125311_1594crx.aspx

RGA
03-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks for that info. I didnt think they were pre-drilled. Definitely not going to purchase them now.

I plan on spending a lot of time on saturday auditioning speakers. Found out that PSB, Wharfdale and Monitor Audio are also carried in my area. Any suggestions for these three brands that I should audition?

If you can find the Studio 40 V2 for about $500.00US that would be better --- wharfedale doesn't have much in this price range --- The Diamonds are not up to the Studio V2 i don;t think for sound quality.

While dynaudio needs power they're worth trying as well. PSB is worth listening to and if you can try some Quad and Von Sweikerts