Best Over the Ear Headphones for Portable Listening? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Over the Ear Headphones for Portable Listening?

rockphantom
03-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Howdy,

I am looking to pick up some new over the ear headphones for my portable music needs. I have been using a pair of Sony MDR-CD380s for the last 4 years, and would like to get some new phones to go along with my new portable.
Not big on buds or in ear pieces.

My budget allows me to spend $60 for new headphones. What do you recommend for someone who listens to music on portable devices for 3-4 hours a day, and sometimes in sweltering heat? Must have great sound, be both comfortable & rugged as I spend much time outdoors.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Milan

dean_martin
03-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Howdy,

I am looking to pick up some new over the ear headphones for my portable music needs. I have been using a pair of Sony MDR-CD380s for the last 4 years, and would like to get some new phones to go along with my new portable.
Not big on buds or in ear pieces.

My budget allows me to spend $60 for new headphones. What do you recommend for someone who listens to music on portable devices for 3-4 hours a day, and sometimes in sweltering heat? Must have great sound, be both comfortable & rugged as I spend much time outdoors.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Milan

Here's a link to the Sennheiser PX100. I gave my teenage son a pair for Christmas '03. He's taken them on bus trips for band and basketball. He's taken them to Japan. And, last summer he took them to Austin, TX. He lost an ear pad on the Texas trip (church youth group on a van) and found a perfect replacement at a Radio Shack in one of your malls for $2 or 3. I've tried them and was impressed with their sound. I prefer the sound of my Grados slightly better, but the PX100's win hands down on comfort and portability.

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=26&productID=0020080010

BTW, I agree that the heat is "sweltering" (and a few other adjectives) in Austin in the Summer.

rockphantom
03-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the input!

I'd love to try that model out before I make a purchase.

Milan

RGA
03-03-2005, 08:49 PM
I'd still look at the Sony models -- I prefer a headphone to go around the ears and not rest ON the ear like those Senns...but Senn is noted for being comfortable. A lot of cans are open air designs like my Senns and the Grado's which don;t help for portability.

Koss has some cheaper ones as I am investigating the same as you for such around the ear cans -- Sennheiser makes the HD 497 but I don't know what the jury is on this one but it is a bit cheaper as well. http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=005179

rockphantom
03-04-2005, 07:01 AM
I had been looking at the Sony Models, actually I wanted to get another paid of MDR-CD380s, but they are no longer in production. Can any recommend good portable phones from the current Sony line?

Thanks!

Milan

dean_martin
03-04-2005, 09:01 AM
I'd still look at the Sony models -- I prefer a headphone to go around the ears and not rest ON the ear like those Senns...but Senn is noted for being comfortable. A lot of cans are open air designs like my Senns and the Grado's which don;t help for portability.

Koss has some cheaper ones as I am investigating the same as you for such around the ear cans -- Sennheiser makes the HD 497 but I don't know what the jury is on this one but it is a bit cheaper as well. http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=005179

Just for the fun of it, I'll take issue with you on this one, RGA. I can't see where a phone that goes around the ears would be more appropriate or comfortable in "sweltering heat" as compared to a phone that rests on the ears. I see your point about the phone staying in position while engaged in physical activities, but once you've experienced a summer in Austin, TX...(I was there for a week last August)

Plus, my 15 year-old is probably more active than both of us put together and he takes his Senns everywhere he goes. I've never heard him complain about his headphones not staying on.

rockphantom
03-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Just for the fun of it, I'll take issue with you on this one, RGA. I can't see where a phone that goes around the ears would be more appropriate or comfortable in "sweltering heat" as compared to a phone that rests on the ears. I see your point about the phone staying in position while engaged in physical activities, but once you've experienced a summer in Austin, TX...(I was there for a week last August)

Plus, my 15 year-old is probably more active than both of us put together and he takes his Senns everywhere he goes. I've never heard him complain about his headphones not staying on.

Actually I would prefer over the ear as opposed to on the ear.
I'm a bit clumsy, and need phones that will stay put.

Replacable ear pads would be a plus, as the smell of sweaty phones is not pleasant.

Milan

dean_martin
03-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Actually I would prefer over the ear as opposed to on the ear.
I'm a bit clumsy, and need phones that will stay put.

Replacable ear pads would be a plus, as the smell of sweaty phones is not pleasant.

Milan

Thanks...I was looking forward to RGA's response.

The headroom link in my first response contains lots of info on several brands and models, but not Sony. More headphone info can be found here:

http://www.head-fi.org

rockphantom
03-04-2005, 10:19 AM
What do you think about the KOSS Porta Pro as featured here?
I have read rave reviews about them, and the lifetime guarantee makes these phones come off a can't miss.

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/02ProductDetailCall?ReadForm&Portable+Stereophones^PORTAPRO

Milan

rockphantom
03-04-2005, 06:11 PM
After asking around at Headfi.org I have decided to go with the classic Sony MDR V6 headphones for indoor listening and to use my old MDR-CD380 while outdoors in the heat. Seems like a winning combination to me! :D

Milan

franklinpross
03-06-2005, 11:24 AM
undefined
What do you think about the KOSS Porta Pro as featured here?
I have read rave reviews about them, and the lifetime guarantee makes these phones come off a can't miss.

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/02ProductDetailCall?ReadForm&Portable+Stereophones^PORTAPRO

Milan

RGA
03-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Dean Martin

Actually i was not really complaining about on the ear phones in that they would fall off but rather I don;t personally find the 1) as comfortable and 2) they don;t generally sound as good because for a start they leak more sound and do not uses the outer ear effectively -- the earbud cans don't use the outer ear at all.

Closed cans are best for portability withought bugging people beside you...open air models leak sound so the HD600s are not good for this...my Sony cans though are big beasts that go around your ears and won't bug people -- but they are bloody hot.

The newer Sony's and equivelants would seem a sensible choice as wasyour suggestion if one doesn;t mind on the ear headphones -- I personally don't like the feel.