SVSubwoofers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SVSubwoofers

shokhead
03-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Anybody know what the DB would be @25Hz on the 25-31pci and @20Hz for the 20-39pci?

This Guy
03-02-2005, 01:37 PM
In every situation the volume would be different.

shokhead
03-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Well how about in A situation.

Woochifer
03-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Anybody know what the DB would be @25Hz on the 25-31pci and @20Hz for the 20-39pci?

That would depend on the room dimensions and the boundary effects. If you have a small to medium sized room, the cabin gain will boost the low end signals. Standing waves though can also cause cancellations at specific frequencies and give you a -15 db reading at 25 Hz, while the room gain and other wave interactions could boost the signal to +15 db at 20 Hz. When you refer to "A situation" you're disregarding the room effects, which are significant in most cases.

If you want an anecholic measurement, you might want to ask SVS directly, since I'm sure they've done all sorts of measurements on their subs and know the specs inside out. Tom V from SVS occasionally pops by this board, so you should PM him and get him to post a response here.

In the meantime, Hometheaterhifi's done a quasi-anecholic measurement of the 25-31 PCi. Read into it however you want.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/svs-25-31-pci-subwoofer-12-2002.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/images/svs-25-31-pci-subwoofer-fr.gif

shokhead
03-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Well i'm really trying to fifure out which do i want. I wouldnt mind the 20 but i want to be sure its loud enough but i've read others have gotten the 25 but asked for it to be tuned to 22 which sounds like something i might think about,kinda the best of both worlds.

Woochifer
03-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Well i'm really trying to fifure out which do i want. I wouldnt mind the 20 but i want to be sure its loud enough but i've read others have gotten the 25 but asked for it to be tuned to 22 which sounds like something i might think about,kinda the best of both worlds.

If you have a small room, you might not want to have the sub tuned lower because of the cabin gain effect. The smaller the room, the higher in the bass range that the gain starts, and the greater the boost at the low end. It will go loud, but it won't necessarily sound too good.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that SVS would tune their stock sub so that it has as linear a frequency response as possible. Tuning a ported sub for greater extension will potentially introduce more peaking and dipping into the bass response.

The overall goal should be full sounding bass that's deep and smooth. The room gain plus the other room induced effects like standing waves are going to affect your bass a lot more than whether or not your subwoofer is tuned to 22 Hz or 25 Hz.