LG DV7832NXC / Zenith DVB318 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LG DV7832NXC / Zenith DVB318

audiobill
03-02-2005, 04:57 AM
Hello, again, folks.

In my post below, I needed a DVD player that plays most all formats of DVD without hiccups and has very good visuals. I've settled on looking at the Pioneeer DV 578a. Thanks to you.

But........ I came across some interesting pro-reviews of the LG DV7832NXC / Zenith DVB318 (same machine).

The LG/Zeith player is able to upconvert from the 480i to 1080i, through comp cabling & apparently the visual is extraordinary.

I have a 122" screen, with a front projector, so picture/visuals are very important.

Anybody know anything about this machine??

Cheers,
Bill

edtyct
03-02-2005, 07:03 AM
This player seems to be a bit of a mixed bag, offering a little more than the typical budget player and a little less performance than is optimal at any price point. In its favor, it uses the Faroudja 2300 chip for deinterlacing, and it can scale to 720p or 1080i through both DVI and component, although the latter option is supposed to be a no-no with manufacturers. Its biggest problems are Y/C delay and pixel cropping (fifteen on the right side according to Secrets), and possibly white crush. Apparently, it does best when run at 1080i, both through component and DVI, which isn't the best resolution for microdisplays. All in all, this player's abilities appear to be in line with its price; a big screen, however, won't be forgiving with its flaws. I'm not sure whether the DVI output is HDCP compliant. If your source is, you'd better check before you buy it. All of the relatively inexpensive budget upscalers are plagued with one problem or another--some serious enough to preclude a purchase--though the rewards can be palpable if the stars are right. Under certain conditions, the Zenith might survive, though I'm not so sure in your case. The Pioneer DV-578A-S is a much safer bet in my book. If digital output is important to you, the Bravo D2 is another possibility, but it too has more of a downside than the Pioneer, with crude picture adjustments and analog performance that leaves much to be desired.

Ed

audiobill
03-04-2005, 08:14 AM
This player seems to be a bit of a mixed bag, offering a little more than the typical budget player and a little less performance than is optimal at any price point. In its favor, it uses the Faroudja 2300 chip for deinterlacing, and it can scale to 720p or 1080i through both DVI and component, although the latter option is supposed to be a no-no with manufacturers. Its biggest problems are Y/C delay and pixel cropping (fifteen on the right side according to Secrets), and possibly white crush. Apparently, it does best when run at 1080i, both through component and DVI, which isn't the best resolution for microdisplays. All in all, this player's abilities appear to be in line with its price; a big screen, however, won't be forgiving with its flaws. I'm not sure whether the DVI output is HDCP compliant. If your source is, you'd better check before you buy it. All of the relatively inexpensive budget upscalers are plagued with one problem or another--some serious enough to preclude a purchase--though the rewards can be palpable if the stars are right. Under certain conditions, the Zenith might survive, though I'm not so sure in your case. The Pioneer DV-578A-S is a much safer bet in my book. If digital output is important to you, the Bravo D2 is another possibility, but it too has more of a downside than the Pioneer, with crude picture adjustments and analog performance that leaves much to be desired.

Ed

Hey, Ed.

Thanks for the "hedup" re: the LG unit. Sounds like pain in ##s. Now, I'll have to get the Pioneer and give it a whirl.

Thanks-a-ton,
Bill

randking
03-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey, Ed.

Thanks for the "hedup" re: the LG unit. Sounds like pain in ##s. Now, I'll have to get the Pioneer and give it a whirl.

Thanks-a-ton,
Bill

Just don't. Your life will be so much richer without their products, customer service and repair problems.