Your 5 favorite female vocalists? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Your 5 favorite female vocalists?

psyopwak
12-22-2003, 07:03 PM
Just wonderdin what other music fans listen to.

I have got Eva Cassidy on alot at night, and it dawned on
me that I really like the smooth tonality of hi to midrange female
singers. (I like listening to her through my Snell E5 speakers).

List your 5 favorites and what kind of speakers you play those
sweet pipes through.

Here are mine in 2003- on Snell E-5's

1 Eva Cassidy
2 Diane Krall
3 Allison Krause
4 Jessica Andrews (new talent fron Nashville)
5 Norah Jones

WAK

Snowbunny
12-22-2003, 07:32 PM
In no particular order:

Norah Jones
Bjork
Tori Amos
Margo Timmins
Billie Holiday
Lucinda Williams

Speakers? Panasonic earbuds. :)

Did you know that the higher end (if there is such a thing) portable headphones are designed to fit big old men's ears!

Nice topic!

Edit: Nice thing about this edit option is I can come back and revise the list as I think of better choices. :)

yakkosmurf
12-23-2003, 05:34 AM
I've got a few.

Sarah Bettens (of K's Choice)
Norah Jones
Sarah Brightman
Karen Carpenter

dld
12-23-2003, 06:26 AM
My five least favorites:

1. Urzala Dudziak. This must be a joke right? Worse than Yoko Ono
2. Yoko Ono. thanks goodness for Urzala
3. Yvonne Eliman. one crappy disco hit took this lady nowhere
4. Polly Jean Harvey. Maybe she can write, but I still don't get her singing
5. Madleen Kane, hmmm, tough one here, she's got that euro-trash/disco/decadent look thing going on, but her whisper of a voice doesn't quite do it for me.

Swish
12-23-2003, 10:09 AM
Allison Krauss - she has the purest female voice I've ever heard. I can't imagine anyone sounding better than her. She never, ever sounds strained and is never off-pitch.

PJ Harvey - Ok, she doesn't have great pipes, but she has a way of expressing herself like no other female singer I've heard.

k. d. lang - Like Allison, she has perfect pitch and a powerful voice to boot. Roy Orbison, who knew something about singing, said she had "the best pipes in the business", and I can't argue with him. The other thing I like about her is that she uses restraint and is never guilty of vocal excess like the Whitney Houston's and Mariah Carey's of the world, who act like they're on "Star Search" or "American Idol" in most of their songs.

Lucinda Williams - I always lean toward singer/songwriters because I don't think too much credit should be given merely for having a nice voice. Who cares how good you sound if you're singing drivel (that's a shot at Whitney & Mariah)?

Emmylou Harris - she has an amazing catalog of music, much of it as backing vocals for others. Some of her backing on old Gram Parsons tunes are just unbelievable. She's a class act thru and thru.

jack70
12-23-2003, 11:49 AM
My five least favorites:

1. Urzala Dudziak. This must be a joke right? Worse than Yoko Ono
2. Yoko Ono. thanks goodness for Urzala
3. Yvonne Eliman. one crappy disco hit took this lady nowhere
4. Polly Jean Harvey. Maybe she can write, but I still don't get her singing
5. Madleen Kane, hmmm, tough one here, she's got that euro-trash/disco/decadent look thing going on, but her whisper of a voice doesn't quite do it for me.

I can't let the Dudziak reference go w/o a response. I'm wondering how much stuff you've heard of her... probably not that much. I consider her a pretty solid jazz vocalist. Not my favorite, but she's better than most jazz vocalists IMO. You may have heard something experimental... using vocals as modern impovisational "scat"... purposely off-the-wall. But unlike Yoko, Urzula can actually sing. She's played with John Amercrombie, Anthony Jackson, Tony Levin, Steve Gadd and many other (good) jazz musicians.

As for other "Bad" singers (least favorites)...you could pick most anyone (female singer) on the pop charts today, and they're all of marginal talent IMO. Madonna sang some song (Stairway to heaven?) accapella last year on NBC I think... it was hideously bad. The trouble is today, we hear (we're fed) so much crap, many people don't know the difference anymore.

I was just doing some digital-cleaning up and found a folder that had 629 alternative (recent) female artists in it! It's rare that anyone new gets heard at all these days.

There are a couple chick singers I'd rate pretty high that are on my vol-3 and vol-7 comps (Eddi Reader, Holly Cole, Jonatha Brooke, Joni Mitchell, Sandy Denny, Beth Nielsen Chapman, Lori Carson, etc.). Lots of others too... Annie Haslam, Linda Lewis, Maddy Prior, Judie Tzuke, Susannah McCorkle, Annisette, etc. Of course, I'd listen to Aimee Mann first because of her music, although she's an above average singer. I just finished a new comp (for the new year) that features a dozen female jazz/blues vocalists. The focus was on the music, but they're all really good (& not that well heard). I'd put 2 or 3 in my top 10 all-time female vocalists. Nobody's mentioned any of em here yet.

Snowbunny
12-23-2003, 02:18 PM
One more: Chan Marshall aka Cat Power!

Either you love her or you hate her....

Stone
12-23-2003, 02:30 PM
(1) Patsy Cline
(2) Patsy Cline
(3) Patsy Cline
(4) Patsy Cline
(5) Patsy Cline

I mean, who else do ya need? I do, however, enjoy the likes of Neko Case and Chan Marshall, among others.

dld
12-23-2003, 05:31 PM
Thnx for your thoughts on the Dudziak matter. I have only her debut, Newborn Light. And yes, perhaps its her choice of material and how she interprets it that bugs me. I do acknowledge that her voice has great range. but the use she puts itt to just left me totally cold. Perhaps this was her show off her voice album? Since I haven't listened to this album in 20+ years, I'll give her a spin over the next day or two.

unleasHell
12-23-2003, 07:45 PM
I can't stand female singers...

I have never heard of most of the ones mentioned and nobody mentioned the only one I would actually admit to liking (alot)

and she is beautiful on the outside as well

SADE....

Swish
12-24-2003, 06:41 AM
(1) Patsy Cline
(2) Patsy Cline
(3) Patsy Cline
(4) Patsy Cline
(5) Patsy Cline

I mean, who else do ya need? I do, however, enjoy the likes of Neko Case and Chan Marshall, among others.

You'e been depriving yourself for way too long if you believe Patsy Cline was the last of the great female singers. That's like saying you only need Sam Adams Winter Lager because all other beers pale in comparison. Hey, it's possibly my favorite, but there are plenty of others to enjoy and I'll keep drinking different ones to see if there are any that can beat it. Have you listened to Allison Krauss, I mean really listened? And what about k.d. lang. I know she's kinda weird looking and all, but what a voice! I like Neko too, but her voice can't begin to touch the aforementioned. I'm not sure about Chan. It's ok, but nothing special. I didn't mention Bjork, who can really belt it out when she wants to, but she's a bit too quirky for some tastes. I happen to love her, quirks and all.

Swishy

Worf101
12-24-2003, 08:34 AM
1. Laura Nyro - Superb singer songwriter, out there before Joni Mitchell and Carol King. Wrote classics but never got her due... acquired taste but her voice just haunts me, Goddess rest her soul....

2. Aretha Franklin - When she moans, she moans... when she howls she howls. Impressive body of work. Listen to the heartbreak in her voice in "Do Right Man".....

3. Ruth Brown - Hard drinkin', hard lovin' woman that could f**k you or fight you with equal aplomb. Listen to "Wild Wild Young Men" that record just burns....

4. Annie Lenox - Kinda like the Emma Peel of music of me. Great voice, many a fantasy about her, great range...

5. Chaka Khan - Amazing voice, wonderful body (when young) superb sense of style vocally....

Da Worfster

Jim Clark
12-24-2003, 08:52 AM
let's see, five female artists that I enjoy the most. OK, no particular order:

Beth Orton-she's fab-oh-lous

Sinead O'Connor-love the voice, love the music for the most part. She's pretty strong as a guest vocalist too, which is good since I guess she's pretty much retired.

Kate Pierson of the B-52's. Love that voice, wish it was featured more often. Ahh, Candy.

Delores O'Riordan-of the Cranberries. Guess I've got warbly tones down pat.

Lisa Gerrard-Dead Can Dance. Dreamy, eery, completely cool.

I've also got a thing for Cyndi Lauper, what a great singer although much of her music isn't really my thing but the lady has got the pipes and the training. Should also plug Tina Root formerly of Switchblade Symphony, Siouxsie Sioux as well as acknowledge some faves already mentioned-Poly Styrene, Jonatha Brooke of The Story as well as solo. Did anyone hit Exene Cervenka? She's worthy of a mention.

Listen on my Klipsch KG 4.2's right now.

jc

Jim Clark
12-24-2003, 09:09 AM
4. Annie Lenox - Kinda like the Emma Peel of music of me. Great voice, many a fantasy about her, great range...

Da Worfster

Doh! Yeah, I'd have to rate Annie up there pretty high as well. Got Bare very late this year and it's her best CD by a freakin' mile. Very worthy contender for one of my top ten slots in the best of 2003. Of course I managed to avoid the fantasies of her, not really my type.

I probably over looked Alison Moyet as well. Another voice with a ton of soul and still making music I enjoy.

jc

John Beresford
12-24-2003, 09:41 AM
No order:

Jewel
Dido
Michelle Branch
Paula Cole
Plummet
Beth Hart (L.A. Song)
Stevie Nicks

This could go on....

Swish
12-24-2003, 09:51 AM
1. Laura Nyro - Superb singer songwriter, out there before Joni Mitchell and Carol King. Wrote classics but never got her due... acquired taste but her voice just haunts me, Goddess rest her soul....

2. Aretha Franklin - When she moans, she moans... when she howls she howls. Impressive body of work. Listen to the heartbreak in her voice in "Do Right Man".....

3. Ruth Brown - Hard drinkin', hard lovin' woman that could f**k you or fight you with equal aplomb. Listen to "Wild Wild Young Men" that record just burns....

5. Chaka Khan - Amazing voice, wonderful body (when young) superb sense of style vocally....

Da Worfster

While I would have chosen Aretha some years ago, I was thinking more of her current status/talent rather than the past, and she's seen better days. I also like Cassandra Wilson very much and she could easily have made my list. It's really difficult to keep it to just five. It would have been easier to pick a top 5 in a certain genre rather than in general. It's about as tough as naming your top 5 albums; there are just too many good ones to have a top 5, or at least a permanent top 5 because my "all time" favorites tend to be a fluid list.

Swish

Over50revisited
12-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Ann Wilson

Bette Midler

Janis Joplin

Sinead O,Connor

KiKi Dee

All based on natural talent.

Have a great holiday

psyopwak
12-24-2003, 07:58 PM
Wow! What great music you guys listen to! What about the gals out there??
Don't any of you have favorite female vocalists?

(My own list is simply what I listened to in 2003)

Many of these very gifted singers I have had the pleasure to listen to with soulfull
admiration. I can't wait to sample some CD's of the ones listed by you guys
which I have NOT heard yet. And yes, many you have pointed out-
that a list of 5 is far to short with the pool of talent out there. Just add them to the list later, (any singer who did not get her name listed). Here are some more of my
favorites- I don't go by popularity myself.

6 Sade Adu
7 Lisa Gerrard
8 Sarah McLachlan
9 Bonnie Raitt
10 Sinead O'Conner
11 Madonna (ballads)
12 Aimee Mann
13 Annie Lennox

WAK

Stone
12-25-2003, 07:51 AM
You'e been depriving yourself for way too long if you believe Patsy Cline was the last of the great female singers. That's like saying you only need Sam Adams Winter Lager because all other beers pale in comparison. Hey, it's possibly my favorite, but there are plenty of others to enjoy and I'll keep drinking different ones to see if there are any that can beat it. Have you listened to Allison Krauss, I mean really listened? And what about k.d. lang. I know she's kinda weird looking and all, but what a voice! I like Neko too, but her voice can't begin to touch the aforementioned. I'm not sure about Chan. It's ok, but nothing special. I didn't mention Bjork, who can really belt it out when she wants to, but she's a bit too quirky for some tastes. I happen to love her, quirks and all.

Swishy

Okay, I had a very long reply done and I hit the wrong button and lost it. In a nutshell I said I don't think I'm depriving myself because even though the women you listed certainly have great voices, their music doesn't do a lot for me, and at the end of the day that's what matters. I've seen Allison Krauss live and although it was good and she's obviously extremely talented, I wasn't inspired to buy any of her albums. The vocals just aren't important enough to me to really make me want to listen (if the music isn't my cup of tea). I can respect their talent, but that's where it stops for many "great" female vocalists. I think Patsy had it all: serious talent, pure emotion in her singing, and wonderfully written songs that fit her vocal style very well.

Have a nice Christmas.

Stone

Chip_B
12-25-2003, 10:54 AM
Just wonderdin what other music fans listen to.

I have got Eva Cassidy on alot at night, and it dawned on
me that I really like the smooth tonality of hi to midrange female
singers. (I like listening to her through my Snell E5 speakers).

List your 5 favorites and what kind of speakers you play those
sweet pipes through.

Here are mine in 2003- on Snell E-5's

1 Eva Cassidy
2 Diane Krall
3 Allison Krause
5 Norah Jones

WAK

1. Joni Mitchell
2. Bonnie Raitt
3. Susan Tedeschi
4. Harriet Wheeler
5. Elizabeth Fraser

and others I like lots (in no particular order):

Johnette Napolitano
Lisa Gerard
Angela Strehli
Shemekia Copeland
Judy Collins
Billie Holliday
Laura Nyro
Sade
Janis Joplin
Koko Taylor
Shawn Colvin
Heidi Berry
Enya
Maire Brennan
Rory Block
Sheryl Crow
Kristin Hersh
Mary Fahl
Loreena McKennitt
Alana Davis
Sarah McLachlen
Chrissie Hynde
Jane Siberry
Alison Krauss
Lucinda Williams
Patsy Cline

-Chip

MindGoneHaywire
12-27-2003, 07:50 PM
Have to make it six, couldn't figure out who to cut.

Billie Holiday towers above all. Far & away my favorite singer, male or female, by a wide margin. Sinatra changed music, in part through trying to do what she did with a song.

Wanda Jackson--never heard a voice like hers, ever.

Exene--amazing. Completely unique harmonies that nobody else has ever gone for. Rare gusto.

Kim Shattuck--if Joan Jett had decent pitch she'd sound something like this. Probably the best female rock screamer I've ever heard.

Patsy Cline--what can I say? One of the most satisfying box sets I have. Love the early stuff, too, especially the 'Rockin' Side' disc of very early recordings, only some of which made it onto the box set.

Bebel Gilberto--maybe she doesn't belong in the top five, as she's only put one album out, but she's so much a better singer than her stepmother Astrud that it's not even funny. Anyone who has half an ear for Brazilian music should give this a spin. Fantastic. I eagerly await a new release from her. Oh, and the remix version of her album is really good too, nice world electronica stuff. Right up my alley.

Oh, I left somebody out, so we're just going to have to make it seven. Skippy?

Etta James. Despite the direction she went in, between the first disc on the 'Essential' collection, and the 'Rocks The House' album, one of the all-time greats. I've been listening to her Christmas album the past few days, a recent record, and that's pretty good, too.

The next five:

Jane Monheit--a contemporary jazz vocalist with impeccable pipes. Unfortunately her albums have progressively moved into schmaltzy, Streisand-ish sort of territory, but her first album is a must-have for those who like jazz vocals. She's the real thing.

Lucinda Williams--just got World Without Tears. I knew she was good, but just never had any of her stuff. Wow.

k.d. lang--I think her albums went progressively downhill also, but boy, around 15 years ago she could do no wrong. Absolute Torch & Twang remains one of my country favorites.

Lorrie Collins--listen to those Collins Kids records, wow. She had some instrument.

Poly Styrene--in a similar vein, vocally, very powerful voice. Too bad she went & joined the Hare Krishnas.

Honorable mention:

Aretha Franklin--incredibly talented, and her Columbia stuff is sublime. Not to mention the stuff she did early on for Atlantic. But I must confess I get a bit sick & tired of how overplayed she is. Can't say there's one thing in the past 30 years (since her version of Stevie Wonder's 'Until I Come Back To You') that's knocked me out. Still, the stuff she did in the 60s is a lengthy, formidable, excellent resume. I just wish she never went for that diva-persona sh*t.

Gladys Knight--didn't have Aretha's talent, vocally, but that didn't stop her from having some amazing tunes over the years. The hits in the mid 70s got a bit played, but she'd rate a mention on the basis of 1964's Every Beat Of My Heart alone.

Betty Everett--You're No Good. I should probably throw out a name like Ronnie Spector or someone like that, or Lulu, but what she did on this tune puts her a notch above them for the time. A classic. Oh, and I think Linda Ronstadt's cover was pretty good. Can't say I would put her on this list, but I think she did do some fine things oh, about 30 years ago or so. Way more to my liking than someone like Bonnie Raitt.

Abbey Lincoln--I try to 'get' Nina Simone, I listen to this & to that & the next thing, & I never seem to quite get it. But when I throw on 'Abbey Is Blue' the same sorts of thoughts come to mind that I see written about Nina Simone. Go figure.

Blossom Dearie--Lovely voice, great jazz feel, world-class piano player. Go see her while you still can.

I'm leaving someone out, right? I must be. Oh, well. I know this is late, but hope everyone had a great holiday.

Mr MidFi
12-28-2003, 09:31 AM
In no particular odor...

Sinead O'Connor
Chrissie Hynde
Polly Jean Harvey
The Dutch woman who sings with Bette Serveert
Margo Timmons

Honorable mentions to Joni Mitchell, Patti Smith, Lucinda Williams, Aretha Franklin, Janice Joplin, Enya, Annie Lennox & David Bowie.

Nice thread. If I was home right now, I'd be digging up my Women's Work comp from the mothballs.

Worf101
12-28-2003, 12:30 PM
In no particular odor...

Sinead O'Connor
Chrissie Hynde
Polly Jean Harvey
The Dutch woman who sings with Bette Serveert
Margo Timmons

Honorable mentions to Joni Mitchell, Patti Smith, Lucinda Williams, Aretha Franklin, Janice Joplin, Enya, Annie Lennox & David Bowie.

Nice thread. If I was home right now, I'd be digging up my Women's Work comp from the mothballs.

Reason's number two and three why one should use spellcheck.

Da Worfster

Swish
12-29-2003, 07:11 AM
Reason's number two and three why one should use spellcheck.

Da Worfster

you didn't need an apostrophe in reasons, so be careful when hurling those stones at others. :D

Swish Baby

Dusty Chalk
12-29-2003, 10:16 AM
Actually, spellcheck wouldn't have picked up on "odor", since it is spelled correctly.

Worf101
12-29-2003, 12:23 PM
you didn't need an apostrophe in reasons, so be careful when hurling those stones at others. :D

Swish Baby

I hate it..... HATE IT......

when.....

you're........

right!!!!!!..............

Arrrgh!!!!! Touche!!!!

Da "willing to admit when I'm dead wrong" Worfster

Worf101
12-29-2003, 12:23 PM
Actually, spellcheck wouldn't have picked up on "odor", since it is spelled correctly.

"Hey man.. I jest got's ta know?"

What the hell is that thing in your Avatar???? I've been looking at it for weeks and I know it's some sorta stuffed sumpthin' but I'm stumped as to what it's supposed to look like? Is it Alf's illigitimate son?

Da "Enquring MInds Wanna Know" Worfster :confused:

tugmcmartin
12-29-2003, 12:47 PM
In terms of PURE favorites, i tend to favor the older vocalists from jazz and blues such as Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Billie Holiday, Lena Horne, Etta James, Ruth Brown and Maxine Brown.

For more contemporary favorites, i'd probably go with:
Allison Krauss
Beth Orton
Annie Lennox
Patty Loveless
Joan Osbourne
Kelly Willis
Mae Moore
Maia Sharp
Sarah McLachlan
Vanessa Carlton
Tori Amos
and Nanci Griffith

I guess thats more than 5, but i never was very good at following directions...

T-

Dusty Chalk
12-29-2003, 01:05 PM
"Hey man.. I jest got's ta know?"

What the hell is that thing in your Avatar???? I've been looking at it for weeks and I know it's some sorta stuffed sumpthin' but I'm stumped as to what it's supposed to look like? Is it Alf's illigitimate son?

Da "Enquring MInds Wanna Know" Worfster :confused:Snowbunny seems to think it's an emu. It's not stuffed. Someone saw it, and said it looks like me in the morning. I've just looked at a picture of myself in the morning and have to agree.

I tried posting a full size of the original image in a prior thread, but for some reason, that activity kept crashing my browser (Opera). I'll try again at some point.

Swish
12-29-2003, 01:17 PM

have intended to type as a joke. I mean, how do you type odor rather than order and not do it intentionally. I suppose it's possible, but not probable.

Dusty Chalk
12-29-2003, 10:22 PM
have intended to type as a joke. I mean, how do you type odor rather than order and not do it intentionally. I suppose it's possible, but not probable.Just out of curiosity -- did you intentionally only underline 75% of odor and 80% of order?

And that was my sense of humour -- just being pedantic in a pedantic thread. We now return you to your regularly scheduled list mongering.

I would also like to mention that way too many of you (no, I am not going back and counting) cannot follow the rules. He said, "5".

jbangelfish
12-31-2003, 10:13 AM
Ann and Nancy Wilson were great together
Pat Benatar
Aimee Mann
Sarah Mclachlan
Annie Lennox
Tori Amos
Currently listen to old AR9's and female voices seem very natural. I never minded listening to them on old 901's either. Forget the new ones.

-Jar-
12-31-2003, 10:28 AM
Snowbunny seems to think it's an emu. It's not stuffed. Someone saw it, and said it looks like me in the morning. I've just looked at a picture of myself in the morning and have to agree.

I tried posting a full size of the original image in a prior thread, but for some reason, that activity kept crashing my browser (Opera). I'll try again at some point.

yea I think it's a Possum. at certain times in my life I might have claimed to have looked like a possum too.

jbangelfish
12-31-2003, 12:47 PM
Looks like an emu, maybe a rhea. Both are very large birds. Not many did follow the directions, me either. How many listed their speakers?
Bill

hifitommy
01-01-2004, 01:14 PM
shirley horn
carmen mac rae
sarah
emmy lou harris
wanda de sah
bonnie raitt

NOT nina hagen

Dusty Chalk
01-02-2004, 05:58 AM
Okay, gonna try again...

Worf101
01-02-2004, 07:02 AM
You see size does make a difference. I could never make out the eyes before. I thought that the NOSTRILS were it's eyes. With the nostrils as eyes the thing looks like a possum not a bird. Wow... Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe is time to get some glasses!!! :D

Dusty Chalk
01-02-2004, 04:25 PM
I could never make out the eyes before. I thought that the NOSTRILS were it's eyes.Okay, now that you've said, that, I can see how you and jar would say that. But having come from the other direction (seeing the full-size one first), I never saw that until you described it that way. Maybe you ought to just decrease your resolution. (I.E. 1024x768 to 800x600 or sumpin')

Okay, okay, I'll stop crappin' all over this thread. Please resume your normal femme vox talk.

DMK
01-03-2004, 08:20 AM
here goes...

In order:

1) Mahalia Jackson - she can do it all, and with SOUL!
2) Janis Joplin - aside from #1, no one gets this soulful.
3) Sainkho Namtchylak (tread lightly!) - a free improvising vocalist
4) Lydia Lunch - bizarre but effective
5) Ella Fitzgerald - using the voice as an instrument.

hifitommy
01-03-2004, 08:53 AM
shirley horn
carmen mc rae
jimmy scott ;^) not a fave
annie ross
peggy lee
abbey lincoln

yeah, there are a lot more.

psyopwak
03-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Anymore? I need some new CD's?

How about male vocalists?

Ex Lion Tamer
03-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Ella Fizgerald
Shirley Horn
nina Simone
Sarah Vaughn
Lucinda Williams
Poly Styrene
pj harvey
kd lang
Mo Tucker

opt80
03-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Christine Collister

Christine Forgeron

Sarah Mclachlan

Patricia O'Callaghan

Natalie Merchant

Jesse Sykes

tentoze
03-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Antony and his Johnsons.

Hawkeye
03-24-2006, 08:10 PM
I think just about everyone's been mentioned that I would have put forth with one exception...Julie Gribble. She recently was mentioned on KLOS as one of the top up and coming young recording artists. Check out cdbaby for clips off her cd, "So Typical"

http://cdbaby.com/cd/jgribble

Dusty Chalk
03-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Arise from the grave, ancient thread of old! Live, dam you, live!

I guess I should actually answer the question (thought I did, but can't find it in this thread) (as usual, I'm going to cheat and pick ones that haven't been picked already, otherwise my list would like like: Tori Amos, Kate Bush, Bjork):

Jenifer Smith (aka Code Mesa)
Heather Thompson (of Tapping The Vein)
Rebecca Coseboom (of Halou)
Anneke van Giersbergen (of The Gathering)
Madeleine Peyroux (as herself)

I usually listen through headphones, of various dynamic sort, usually Beyerdynamic DT770's, but sometimes others. I also have a Stax "earspeaker" system, and my dynamic speakers are Dynaudio Special 25's.

Bernd
03-25-2006, 12:26 AM
Most of the usual suspects got a mention already.Here are some I like a lot.

1) Bebel Gilberto
2) Eve Selis
3) Mary Black
4) Toni Childs
5) Beth Nielsen Chapman

Good Thread

Bernd:6:

Dave918
03-25-2006, 02:25 AM
Quickly jotted down 30 female singer/songwriters that I cannot live without. Painfully narrowed my top picks down to the following -

1. Lucy Kaplansky
2. Lucinda Williams
3. Eliza Gilkyson
4. Heather Waters
5. Erin Moran (A Girl Called Eddy)
6. Amiee Mann

My top male picks would be -

1. Greg Brown
2. John Prine
3. Leonard Cohen
4. Lyle Lovitt
5. John Hiatt
6. Bill Morrissey

-dave

Dave918
03-25-2006, 05:50 AM
Didn't notice the speaker reference until just now. I listen to everything through Jean Marie Reynaud Twin MK III's. I use them on both the bedroom (driven by a Blue Circle CS amp) and living room (driven by a Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX receiver) systems - absolutely love them.

-dave

shokhead
03-25-2006, 05:52 AM
Linda R by a mile.

Swish
03-25-2006, 07:51 AM
Allison Krauss - she has the purest female voice I've ever heard. I can't imagine anyone sounding better than her. She never, ever sounds strained and is never off-pitch.

PJ Harvey - Ok, she doesn't have great pipes, but she has a way of expressing herself like no other female singer I've heard.

k. d. lang - Like Allison, she has perfect pitch and a powerful voice to boot. Roy Orbison, who knew something about singing, said she had "the best pipes in the business", and I can't argue with him. The other thing I like about her is that she uses restraint and is never guilty of vocal excess like the Whitney Houston's and Mariah Carey's of the world, who act like they're on "Star Search" or "American Idol" in most of their songs.

Lucinda Williams - I always lean toward singer/songwriters because I don't think too much credit should be given merely for having a nice voice. Who cares how good you sound if you're singing drivel (that's a shot at Whitney & Mariah)?

Emmylou Harris - she has an amazing catalog of music, much of it as backing vocals for others. Some of her backing on old Gram Parsons tunes are just unbelievable. She's a class act thru and thru.

have changed over the years. I still like all 5 of those ladies, but I would have to put Chan Marshall in there, probably Patty Griffin too, and Bjork.

Swish

shokhead
03-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Thought Bjork was a dude?

JohnMichael
03-25-2006, 10:20 AM
1. Nina Simone

2. Maria Muldaur

3. Ute Lemper

4. Julie Andrews

5. Sarah Vaughn

Played thru NHT SuperOnes

Rob B in CT
03-25-2006, 11:07 AM
1) Ella Fitzgerald (All of the Songbooks)

2) Joni Mitchell (Hejira, Shadows and Light)

3) Jonatha Brooke (Plumb)

4) Alison Krauss (Forget About It)

5) Emmylou Harris (Portraits)

6) Arleen Auger (American Soprano)

7) Laura Nyro (Angel in the Dark)

8) Dusty Springfield (Dusty in Memphis)

Speakers are vintage ADS L-620s that I've enjoyed for about 25 years

KaiWinters
03-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Annie Lennox

Aretha Franklin

The Wilson sisters

Pat Benatar

Carly Simon

Swish
03-25-2006, 11:53 AM
:confused5: :confused5:
Thought Bjork was a dude?

I don't know any dudes who look like this.

Swish

Swish
03-25-2006, 11:54 AM
have changed over the years. I still like all 5 of those ladies, but I would have to put Chan Marshall in there, probably Patty Griffin too, and Bjork.

Swish

(sigh).

Swish

Davey
03-25-2006, 12:19 PM
And how could I forget Niko...
The Japanese singer, right? Wasn't she with Cibo Matto? man, I love that band! Viva La Woman! You got to know your chicken!

drseid
03-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Ten singers immediately come to mind in no particular order except #1...

1) Alison Krauss (definitely my favorite)
2) Mary Lou Lord
3) Stevie Nicks
4) Shawn Colvin
5) Maire Brennan (lead singer of the Irish group Clannad -- try out their fabulous Landmarks CD)
6) Aimee Mann
7) Fiona Apple
8) Paula Cole
9) Sade
10)Tori Amos

---Dave

Swish
03-25-2006, 12:47 PM
The Japanese singer, right? Wasn't she with Cibo Matto? man, I love that band! Viva La Woman! You got to know your chicken!

Yes. Yep. Sure. Smarta<a>ss.

Swish

Dusty Chalk
03-26-2006, 01:58 AM
Linda R by a mile.Ronstadt?

shokhead
03-26-2006, 06:48 AM
Ronstadt?

Yes indeed.

nobody
03-26-2006, 07:01 AM
What the heck...here's a quick list of five...but they'd all change around, depending on my mood...

Patsy Cline
Billie Holiday
Erykah Badu
Etta James
Bjork

of course, leaving out tons of great stuff...

r m
03-27-2006, 02:06 AM
This is a great thread - I have picked up some ideas on artists I will try to hear.

Scanning through I haven't noticed anyone mention Katie Melua.

Hawkeye
03-27-2006, 02:22 PM
I thought of another female vocalist that y'all might like to explore. Beverly Craven. She sounds a bit like Carly Simon IMO, but nicer looking....oh, much nicer.

-Jar-
03-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Liz Fraser (Cocteau Twins)
Margaret Fiedler (Laika, Moonshake)
Beth Gibbons (Portishead)
Jennifer Charles (Elysian Fields)
Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star)

shokhead
03-28-2006, 08:51 AM
So of all the ones in this threat,which one would have the best range or which one can hold that note the longest or which one rocks?

tranemiles
03-28-2006, 08:56 PM
1.Ella Fitzgerald
2.Shawn Colvin
3.Alison Krauss
4.Billie Holiday
5.Anita Oday

Dusty Chalk
03-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Kate Bush is famous for having a three octave range (pitch).

Stylistic range, I have a personal preference for Heather Thompson -- she can coo like a little girl, and then bring it up to a full-blown angry wail. I've seen her pull this off live, up close and personal, in a corner of a Tower Records.

And in terms of longest note -- who cares? I mean, go listen to Whitney Houston or something. "And Aaaaaa-eee-aaaaaah weeeeeeell aaaaaaah-lways love yooooooo-ooooo-oooo-ooooo..." That's fine, but do you have to scare all the little bunnies out of hibernation? Kevin Costner is such a great actor.

Mr MidFi
03-29-2006, 07:21 AM

Swish

Dude, I used to live in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago. I've seen plenty of dudes who look like that.

And yes, it's refreshing to see an old thread like this one. I don't even remember writing my original post...but I'm still pretty happy with my selections.

bobsticks
03-29-2006, 07:29 AM
I have to agree with virtually all mentioned, particulartly Alison Krause, Diana Krall, Norah, Billie Holiday, Maria Muldaur, Sade, Hope Sandoval, Liz Fraser...but also Ofra Haza.

Bernd
03-29-2006, 08:00 AM
So of all the ones in this threat,which one would have the best range or which one can hold that note the longest or which one rocks?

Kirsty MacColl used to have perfect pitch. She is dearly missed.

Peace

Bernd:sad:

JohnMichael
03-29-2006, 08:19 AM
As far as extended range I recommend Minnie Ripperton and Cleo Laine. Both also on my favorite female vocalists 6-10 list.

psyopwak
09-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Had to add this one. She is very, very good.

Vienna Teng "Dreaming through the Noise"

hifitommy
09-21-2009, 05:31 PM
ok, you asked for it----KURT ELLING! start with his album 'the messenger'. its scatting and some of the most intelligent jazz you'll ever hear.

i have now seen him LIVE several times now and even my 26 year old daughter is hooked and she studied music in HS.

then there is giacomo gates. check him out.

bobsticks
09-21-2009, 06:31 PM

Swish

Unfortunately, I do.....

bobsticks
09-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Great recs...but Karen Bergqvuist ftw...

02audionoob
09-21-2009, 08:50 PM
1 Eva Cassidy
2 Diane Krall
3 Allison Krause
5 Norah Jones

Somehow the original list in this thread, all those years ago, looks a little funny at number 4. How do you feel about sweet little Jessica, now?

Auricauricle
09-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Annie Haslam, anyone?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AFsLbbVDaqs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AFsLbbVDaqs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bobsticks
09-22-2009, 09:27 AM
<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sbZVzultvFs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sbZVzultvFs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FyOqECvDZw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FyOqECvDZw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

Auricauricle
09-22-2009, 11:03 AM
If you excuse me...

TheHills44060
09-22-2009, 03:54 PM
1. Vanity
2. Lee Aaron
3. Dinah Cancer
4. Pat Benetar
5. Stevie Nicks

02audionoob
09-22-2009, 08:52 PM
How about Ella, Billie, Dinah, Sarah and insert distant 5th place here?

Harry Manzini
09-23-2009, 11:25 AM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Patricia Barber or Cassandra Wilson.....Jezuz people, talk about caught in commercialism.....

E-Stat
09-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Annie Haslam, anyone?
Hear, hear! I saw Renaissance twice live back in the 70s and have most of their albums. That selection is from the 1975 release of Scheherazade (I still have the original MSFL vinyl). I've always been taken with her vocal control, range and distinctive trill. :)

Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeF8yu5ggRM&feature=related) an earlier video.

rw

Swish
09-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Patricia Barber or Cassandra Wilson.....Jezuz people, talk about caught in commercialism.....

Hehe. I actually did mention Cassandra way back when, but not in my top 5 list. I mentioned that she could have made my top 5. I also like Patricia Barber but can't put her in that top echelon. As for your jab about 'commercialism', there are always going to be those who name the names (Stevie Nicks? Please.), but there are a plethora of female singers in this thread who are anything but 'commercial'.

Auricauricle
09-23-2009, 01:07 PM
So hard to answer this question effectively. There are so many vocalists who sing effectively in certain genres, that the list can be so drawn up:

Popular Music:
Annie Haslam, Diana Krall, Joan Armatrading, Emmylou Harris, Annie Lenox
Classics:
Petula Clarke, Vickie Carr, Dionne Warwick, Carly Simon Linda Ronstadt
Jazz:
Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, Edith Piaf, Astrud Gilberto (nee Weinert), Marlene Dietrich

At the same time, there is one name that, for me, stands out. She has effectively delved into nearly every medium imaginable, with style, ability and aplomb. That would be...

Linda Ronstadt. Whether singing country, rock or light opera or traditional latin music, she has done so better than anyone I can think of.

Jack in Wilmington
09-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Here are five of my favorites, when they were with the bands listed at least

1. Annie Haslam - Renaissance
2. Mary Fahl - October Project
3. Magdalena Hagberg - Par Lindh Project
4. Heather Findlay - Mostly Autumn
5. Grace Slick - Jefferson Airplane

Auricauricle
09-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Ah, Grace Slick! Of course! She was great!

Patty Smith anyone...? Chrissie Hynde?

02audionoob
09-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Now wait just a minute...slamming Stevie Nicks when Vanity was in that same top 5?

Luvin Da Blues
09-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Ah, Grace Slick! Of course! She was great!

Patty Smith anyone...? Chrissie Hynde?

Ya gotz a greenie for your earlier post but IMHO wouldn't put Patty or Chrissie in the same league as the others.

Rich is gunna flame me for this.

Has anyone mentioned Ricki Lee Jones yet?

Auricauricle
09-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Ricky Lee Jones! Yep, you got me there, LD!

Still, with Hynde and Smith...Those girls fit their moulds quite well. Can you imagine Joan Baez (!) singing Brass in Pocket?