Need help deciding on a Home Theater System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on a Home Theater System

dsp36
03-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Hi all,
Been reading the forum for a few weeks, but this is my first post, so be gentle with me :)

I'm pretty new to this, and am building a home theater system. I've already got my HDTV...(Sony 55" LCD Projection) and will be looking to add a receiver and speakers in the very near future.

Right now I think I've decided on the Yamaha RX V2500, but have considered the Onkyo TX-NR901, Harman Kardon AVR7300 or the Denon AVR-3805. Any input on the good, bad and ugly of these receivers would be welcome, along with recommendations. Have about $1000 to spend on a receiver.

With respect to speaker systems I'm more open right now. I've auditioned Boston Acoustics System 520 (couldn't find any reviews on the web for these), Infinity's TS1100 and Polk Audio's RM6900. Right now I like the Bostons the most, but would like to hear other recommendations from those of you out there. I have about $1500 to spend on a speaker system/cables etc. These need to be asthetically pleasing (i.e. smallish) to fit in with my wife's home decoration ;)

Finally, normally watch dvd movies and HD channels...have a large (mainly rock/alternative) collection of CD's, but this is primarily for tv watching.

Thanks in anticipation!

DSP

evil__betty
03-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Looks like you are on the right track with setting this thing up. For the recievers, the Onkyo gets my vote. I haven't had experience with the AVR7300, but I have played with everything else HK under that model. Personally, I don't like the HK simply because of the fact that the menus are difficult to negotiate. Onkyo hits a homerun with their ease of use to set everything up.

As for speakers, Polk get a big thumbs up. Have you looked into Jamo at all? Their lifestyles line are classy looking and sound phenominal (spelling??). Check out the A355PDD at www.jamo.com

Thats my two cents. Best of luck with it.

htfan14
03-02-2005, 08:07 AM
I have the Denon 3802 and it rocks! But I also auditioned the H/K 320 at the same time. It was also awsome, came down to price and the Denon was less expensive at the time. The H/K, with Logic 7, actually sounded better on standard broadcast Sat. But the Denon has more definition in 5.1. Either way they are both good units and will sound great with the Boston Ac. or the Polks mentioned.

dsp36
03-02-2005, 09:00 AM
I have the Denon 3802 and it rocks! But I also auditioned the H/K 320 at the same time. It was also awsome, came down to price and the Denon was less expensive at the time. The H/K, with Logic 7, actually sounded better on standard broadcast Sat. But the Denon has more definition in 5.1. Either way they are both good units and will sound great with the Boston Ac. or the Polks mentioned.

I'm pretty set with either the Yamaha (YPAO setup sounds good for an amateur like myself) or the Onkyo (like the idea of linking this to my home network) but will check out the H/K. Not sure about the Denon, as I've read mixed reviews about that.

I'm also going to look at the Jamo speaker recommendations after checking out their website. Hopefully I can find a local retailer that stocks them. I'm not going to invest money into speakers I haven't heard :)

Thanks for the help. Anybody else got any advice?

Worf101
03-02-2005, 09:13 AM
As for your receivers you'd be fine with either the Onkyo 901, which I've used, or the Yammie, which I just set up in a friends system. Based up personal experience both are phenomenal receivers and well worth the money. I can't comment on the others as I've not used or set them up.

Da Worfster :cool: