What center on earth would match my Cerwin D-9's!? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What center on earth would match my Cerwin D-9's!?

StevenCV
03-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi, I'm new to your wealth of knowledge forum and I'd like to first say hello to everyone here.

Title says it all guys, Im upgrading my piece of garbage center channel, a pioneer from a HTIB, and I need something that will match my gigantic Cerwin Vega D-9's which I absolutely love.

The d-9's in case you don't know are very very large, have 15" woofers, very tight deep base, a smooth midrange (2 mids) and a horn tweeter. The d-9's have a very high effiency, like 102 db! Right now I have my center channel set to +10 dB on my receiver and its still not playing nice with my fronts.

I was looking at Klipsch because of their high effiency. I guess I need something that is well rounded to blend with the d-9's.

Any help?

This Guy
03-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Before I even read your last paragraph I was thinking Klipsch in my mind. Yea defiently look at something by Klipsch, I know Klipsch made this huge center speaker, it had two 8" woofers and a big horn. I think Worf on this site has one, that would probably be the best match. They don't make them anymore so you're gonna have to check ebay and audiogon.

RGA
03-01-2005, 06:30 PM
The D9s are not home theater speakers but massively entertaining rockers --- I too would try Klipsch.

StevenCV
03-02-2005, 04:52 AM
The D9s are not home theater speakers but massively entertaining rockers --- I too would try Klipsch.

While they're not ht speakers, they're damn fun to use as ht speakers!

I'll look at klipsch, thanks guys.

jamison
03-02-2005, 05:29 AM
are you talking about the RC-7? its still being made. it has two 8 inch woofers and a big horn on it. it is efficient at 98Db

http://www.klipsch.com/media/Photos/RC7_4_large.jpg

royphil345
03-02-2005, 05:49 AM
The center from the new CV Classic Series may work. http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/homeaudiovideo/Classic/overview.html

Have owned Klipsch and Cerwin Vega. Both very efficient, but IMHO a significantly different tonal character.

It it were me, I'd give the classic center a shot. If it wasn't a good match for the D-9s, I'd have to buy a pair of CLSC-215s as well!!!:)

RGA
03-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Believe me -- saying they are NOT home theater speakers was a compliment.

StevenCV
03-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the compliment RGA, I love my D9's to death.

I'm going to look into a large cerwin vega center channel, keeping the brand should sound the best and it also looks nicer ;)

Thanks for everyones feedback!