2nd annual Battle of the Bands (aka: March Music Madness) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2nd annual Battle of the Bands (aka: March Music Madness)

newtrix1
03-01-2005, 10:20 AM
We did this last year around this time and I think it met with a reasonable amount of interest, so I'll give it another shot. Simple "rules": every couple of days I'll post 2 bands/artists to go head to head against each other in a poll format. Vote for your FAVORITE of the two. Every few days a new battle will be posted and winners of prior matches will be declared. Basic bracket style format; there will be 16 bands total (8 battles) in the first round, then the 8 winners will go against each other in the second round, and so on, until one band is crowned as favorite.

Last year Talking Heads were Raverecs favorite band, besting the following bands (Yes, Jethro Tull, DMB, Flaming Lips, White Stripes, Wilco, Radiohead, Yo La Tengo, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, AC/DC, Cream, Bjork & Prince). This year 16 different bands will be competing from various genres and decades. If you don't enjoy this kind of thing, all posts will have the words "MARCH MUSIC MADNESS" in the subject field, so you can easily avoid the thread. I'll probably post the first battle tomorrow, have fun!

Davey
03-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Ughhh. Think I'll take some time off :)

Hey, just a suggestion, but can't you concentrate the polls into fewer threads this time? Maybe combine some? Or move it over to Rocky Road - they love to do battle over there! For awhile last time it seemed like that was all one could see when they came here, just a bunch of silly (JMO&YMMV) polls. I kind of lost interest after the first hundred or so ;)

newtrix1
03-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Ughhh. Think I'll take some time off :)

Hey, just a suggestion, but can't you concentrate the polls into fewer threads this time? Maybe combine some? Or move it over to Rocky Road - they love to do battle over there! For awhile last time it seemed like that was all one could see when they came here, just a bunch of silly (JMO&YMMV) polls. I kind of lost interest after the first hundred or so ;)

I'll only post one poll every 2-3 days, shouldn't be too obtrusive. I think you're thinking of another poll which was done last year after MMM.

mad rhetorik
03-01-2005, 10:55 AM
I'll only post one poll every 2-3 days, shouldn't be too obtrusive. I think you're thinking of another poll which was done last year after MMM.

Yeah, that was my fault. I tried to do something similar (Rave Recs Favorites), and got a bit carried away. People got annoyed by it, so I stopped.

The first March Madness was good, and enlivened these parts for a little while. The only problem with it is that really dissimilar bands were being compared. Like Yes v. Wilco, for instance.

I would love to see Sonic Youth v. Pixies or Bob Dylan v. Neil Young. Maybe some metal or punk shootouts too. That would be rad.

newtrix1
03-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah, that was my fault. I tried to do something similar (Rave Recs Favorites), and got a bit carried away. People got annoyed by it, so I stopped.

The first March Madness was good, and enlivened these parts for a little while. The only problem with it is that really dissimilar bands were being compared. Like Yes v. Wilco, for instance.

I would love to see Sonic Youth v. Pixies or Bob Dylan v. Neil Young. Maybe some metal or punk shootouts too. That would be rad.

Dylan was in last year, so you won't see him, but Pixies are on the list (shhh!) ;)