Your 5 favorite female vocalists? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Your 5 favorite female vocalists?

psyopwak
12-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Just wonderin what other music fans listen to.

I have got Eva Cassidy on alot at night, and it dawned on
me that I really like the smooth tonality of hi to midrange female
singers. (I like listening to her through my Snell E5 speakers).

List your 5 favorites and what kind of speakers you play those
sweet pipes through.

Here are mine in 2003- on Snell E-5's

1 Eva Cassidy
2 Diane Krall
3 Allison Krause
4 Jessica Andrews (new talent fron Nashville)
5 Norah Jones

WAK

Pat D
12-22-2003, 08:53 PM
I'll stick to pop and jazz vocalists.

1. Angele Arsenault

2. Ella Fitzgerald

3. Jennifer Warnes

4.. Diana Krall

5.. Edith Butler

dld
12-22-2003, 09:00 PM
1. Joan Armatrading
2. Carly Simon
3. Lucinda Williams
4. Allison Kraus
5. Margo Timmons

Played thru AR-94 2.5 way speaks or Fried Q-4 2 ways. Got a great set of Sears headphones, no kidding, they're pretty darn good. Think they're made by Grado or sumptin like that.

Snowbunny
12-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Are you guys snubbing me? :mad:

Here's my response from the post below....

In no particular order:

Norah Jones
Bjork
Tori Amos
Margo Timmins
Billie Holiday
Lucinda Williams

Speakers? Panasonic earbuds.

Did you know that the higher end (if there is such a thing) portable headphones are designed to fit big old men's ears!

Nice topic, psycho!

Edit: Nice thing about this edit option is I can come back and revise the list as I think of better choices.

DPM
12-22-2003, 09:23 PM
I tend to like the older rock and roll girls though there are some young upstarts catching my ear.

1) Ann Wilson of Heart
2) Kate Bush
3) Darby Mills of Headpins
4) Amy Lee of Evanescence
5) Loreena McKennit

I listen to these fine ladies on my Hales Revelation Three speakers.

Dave M

Dusty Chalk
12-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Shirley Bassey (would love to hear her do "Sway" or some similar standard)
Tori
Bjork
Kate Bush
Toni Halliday (Curve)

Honourable mentions (counting to five is over-rated):

Johnette Napolitano (Concrete Blonde)
any of the chicks from the Bulgarian Women's Choir/Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares
Shirley Manson
Rebecca Coseboom (Halou)
Nina Persson (Cardigans)
Micki Berenyi (Lush)
Sweet Honey on the Rock (or something like that, all woman vocal group, not unlike Ladysmith Black Mambazo)

That's today. Tomorrow, it'll most likely be different. Besides, I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

Speaking of femme vox, I'm right now listening to The Fold Compilation, and there's a track by "Inner" called, "My Philosophy" which is just percussion and femme vox, and is simply sublime. Gorgeous harmonies.

Great compilation, BTW. ...AYWKUBOTOD, Polyphonic Spree, BRMC, BHP, plus a lot of cool discoveries, the best of which right now is "Inner".
Edit: Nice thing about this edit option is I can come back and revise the list as I think of better choices.Not for long, you can't.
Did you know that the higher end (if there is such a thing) portable headphones are designed to fit big old men's ears! Hey, now! I resemble that remark.

Oh, yeah, speakers: Spendor S3/5's w/Sunfire True Sub Jr. (nice combination!).

Headphones: Too many to mention: AT A100Ti, W2002, Senn HD600, Beyer DT770, etc.

tentoze
12-23-2003, 05:39 AM
Just wonderin what other music fans listen to.

I have got Eva Cassidy on alot at night, and it dawned on
me that I really like the smooth tonality of hi to midrange female
singers. (I like listening to her through my Snell E5 speakers).

List your 5 favorites and what kind of speakers you play those
sweet pipes through.

Here are mine in 2003- on Snell E-5's

1 Eva Cassidy
2 Diane Krall
3 Allison Krause
4 Jessica Andrews (new talent fron Nashville)
5 Norah Jones

WAK

Not necesarily in order of value:

Joan Armatrading
Lucinda
Neko Case
Maddy Prior
Maddy Prior

Preferably on Dahlquist DQ-10's driven by gobs of power. No headphones.

nobody
12-23-2003, 06:14 AM
I guess I'll try to list vocalists that I like for their voices over stylistic considerations. That means favorites like Joan Jett, Poly Sterene and others will get the shaft. I'm leaving out Shirley Manson too, despite my professed love for her.

Here's five...

a couple classics:
Patsy Cline
Billy Holiday

And a little more modern for variety:
Beth Gibbons
Erykah Badu
Macy Gray

Those are just the first that come to mind. Of course, there are tons more just as deserving, like Ella Fitzgerald, Roberta Flack, Diana Ross, Sarah Vaughn, Kitty Wells, Bjork, Alison Moyet, Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, Etta James, Wanda Jackson, Loretta Lynn, Emmylou Harris and more.

I listen on Fried A/6 speakers, and some AR speakers in another room, and crappy computer speakers at work, and in my car, and on a really, really, crappy boom box, and through any juke box with a decent selection.

Snowbunny
12-23-2003, 02:21 PM
Shirley Bassey (would love to hear her do "Sway" or some similar standard)

Nice list, Dustyone. You always have been a staunch supporter of the female voice, haven't you? :) Who was the poster who couldn't stand chick singers or horns in their music?

I'm surprised Aleisha Moore didn't make the list. She almost made mine.

Hey, do you mean the edit option has a time limit, or is it going to disappear soon?

Snowie

dld
12-23-2003, 08:15 PM
The poaster what hates horns and women is Yechs best buddy (really) Unleasedhelp. He should stay away from longhorn cows. I think he weighted in on the other thred that coincidendal has the same tittle.

Davey.
12-23-2003, 09:17 PM
It's kind of a tough question because I don't generally listen to pop/rock music for the singer, or any of the musicians for that matter. Jazz (and a lot of popular music too) is different since it's based more around the performance of the singer and/or musicians, but I mostly listen to somewhat obscure pop/rock so I'll just think about that for now. None of these are really what I would call great singers, at least from a technical point of view, but to be honest I don't really have the background to judge what makes a good technical singer. I love women singers though and these ladies all have recent albums that I've listened a lot to in the last year. mostly on either a pair of small Dynaudio speakers or some larger ones of my own design.

Nina Nastasia
Martina Topley-Bird (solo & w/Tricky)
Margaret Fiedler (Laika)
Karin Bergquist (Over The Rhine)
Chan Marshall (Cat Power)

and also a few more I wouldn't want to be without on a cold winter eve...

Rosie Thomas (solo & w/Damien Jurado)
Eleni Mandell
Neko Case
Beth Gibbons (solo & Portishead)

and very much looking forward to the next releases by PJ Harvey and Bjork, two of my absolute favorite ladies in any genre.

Dusty Chalk
12-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Nice list, Dustyone. You always have been a staunch supporter of the female voice, haven't you? :) Looks up "staunch"...
Who was the poster who couldn't stand chick singers or horns in their music?That would be unleasHell. And if, by "friend", dld meant, "would probably mow each other down on sight if they were in a Hummer", then I guess, yes, they were friends.
Hey, do you mean the edit option has a time limit, or is it going to disappear soon?The former:
The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 1440 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.

PS I knew I forgot one: Heather Thompson, Tapping the Vein. Nice power when needed, nicely cooing when appropriate. Just great range (and by that I mean variety).