New Bose SoundDock Rocks [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Bose SoundDock Rocks

Aldo WIngate
03-01-2005, 06:34 AM
Put the iPod in it and your music will come to life. By fay, the best value in stereo listening because you get to play all your music in one small system.

Yeah, the Bose SoundDock is really great sounding and onbly $200 if you have connections (black market, dog)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Guy
03-01-2005, 08:10 AM
oh my god your so cool

N. Abstentia
03-01-2005, 08:30 AM
My God. As if an iPod by itself didn't already sound bad enough. The only way I could possibly imagine the sound quality getting any worse would be to run it through Bose speakers. Congratulations.

topspeed
03-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Now, now, fellas...be nice. At least he isn't cussing like a sailor, right?

Aldo,
If you're happy with the Soundock, more power to ya. It's your $ and your ears so knock yourself out.

N.,
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how decent my iPod Shuffle actually sounds. Now granted, I only listen to it in a noisy gym while weights are clanging around and Air Supply is being blasted overhead (hence the necessity for the iPod), but it's really not bad at all. The sound quality is very close to my old portable cd player yet it doesn't skip, I don't have to feed it batteries every other week, and I can stick it in my pocket instead of wearing that damn fanny pack. Does it sound as good as my main rig? Of course not, but I don't expect it to either. At least it doesn't sound like the music is underwater (a common problem with MP3's IME.)

BTW, did you see last night's episode on American Chopper: Jr vs. Sr? I laughed so hard I fell of the couch!

anamorphic96
03-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Aldo,

N. Abstentia is just being honest. I even agree with him. Better Off Something Else.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Tipikal snob. Lick where the sun don't shine, and get off your high horse!

Add something constructive or keep your bs to yourselph.

Aldo, it is okay to participate, but no personal attacks or name calling

ericl
03-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Guys!

You guys haven't even heard the thing. How can you be so sure just because its Bose, that it sounds like junk? I'm no fan of Bose, but they have come up with some decent stuff. Piling on a guy who likes what he's got just because it doesn't meet your criteria for good sound seems a little mean, and closed-minded.

N.A. - Under what circumstances have you heard the iPod that made you think it sounds so bad? what headphones, compression rates, etc?

-Eric

jamison
03-01-2005, 01:12 PM
I think the device is more for people who want conveniance more than they do sound quality. I personally can't stand to listen to MP3 on my home stereo or even my PC.
i think the sound quality is horrid. I do not own an Ipod or anything made by Bose. the price/performance factor is not good enough for me to want them. for the person wanting ultimate convienance and portability and doesnt know or care that there is something better performing at a lower price the ipod bose combo is a viable option... just not a cost effective one.
if your happy with your purchase and it serves a purpose to you right on!
I hope you like your setup.

ps: if someone insults you thats wrong.... if you insult them to get even you are only dropping down to their level...

N. Abstentia
03-01-2005, 01:44 PM
This is typical Bose snobbishness.

"Put the iPod in it and your music will come to life!"

My music will come to life? Really? Wow. I guess my $2000 front speakers, $600 CD player, and $1200 amplifer just can't hang with a crappy quality MP3 running through $25 worth of Bose electronics (about what it costs to make).

Call it what it is. "Sounds better than $3 earbuds."

Don't tell me it's going to make my music sound magical thanks to the wonders of Bose. I'll take that $200, buy a $60 CD boombox and $140 worth of CD's and toast that overpriced pile of hype. Plus I don't need a computer run it.

Aldo WIngate
03-01-2005, 02:36 PM
I think the device is more for people who want conveniance more than they do sound quality. I personally can't stand to listen to MP3 on my home stereo or even my PC.
i think the sound quality is horrid. I do not own an Ipod or anything made by Bose. the price/performance factor is not good enough for me to want them. for the person wanting ultimate convienance and portability and doesnt know or care that there is something better performing at a lower price the ipod bose combo is a viable option... just not a cost effective one.
if your happy with your purchase and it serves a purpose to you right on!
I hope you like your setup.

ps: if someone insults you thats wrong.... if you insult them to get even you are only dropping down to their level...

CAN't STAND???? Horrid?? What extreme language. It amazes me that an OPINION is such hell for some people. Wow. I can't stand having a cold with a fever for 4 days. Sound playing in a room? I can live with it.

What a joke some people really must be!

Worf101
03-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Put the iPod in it and your music will come to life. By fay, the best value in stereo listening because you get to play all your music in one small system.

Yeah, the Bose SoundDock is really great sounding and onbly $200 if you have connections (black market, dog)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay Aldo, where's you're off your meds again ain't ya? Okay where'd you put dem pills?

Da Worfster :cool: :eek:

Rock789
03-01-2005, 05:21 PM
questions to you guys who hate mp3's

what sampling rate are the mp3's to which you have listened?
I rip my cd's to MP3 format @ 196kbps... in my tuck I have no problem with the quality... same during work-outs...

unless you are driving a super quiet vehicle, the sound of the tires, or engine will be much more noticible than the quality of music.
(ok, my truck my be worse off since I am running 285/75R16 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers, but they run great on my tacoma)

to the bose dude, I personally don't like bose, but if they sound good to you, thats all that matters...

Mike

anamorphic96
03-01-2005, 05:33 PM
To make it known I have heard this piece of equipment and it sucks. Very muddy bass with no midrange clarity. Its crap and overpriced.

The only reasonable powered speaker system I have heard that sounds decent and cheap is the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1. Offers a hell of alot more than the Bose.

N. Abstentia
03-01-2005, 05:42 PM
I checked it out at the Bose store in a strip mall, where I like to go just to shake my head at the ignorance of the people that shop there. It feels like a $30 boombox, very cheap and of course has that 'wave radio' sound. It makes sound from about 150hz-12,000 with clearly audible peaks in the midrange. I guess that's what makes people think they sound good.

As far as the MP3 question..I have some 256k MP3's that I find unlistenable. Treble is swishy and it sounds like all the dynamics are stripped from the music. The only use I have for MP3's is on the computer so I can sample stuff before buying the CD.

You can plug an iPod into any powered speaker..why waste $200 on a Bose thing? Go to Walmart and get some $30 Altec Lansings with a subwoofer. You'll get far better sound.

Aldo WIngate
03-02-2005, 12:21 PM
I checked it out at the Bose store in a strip mall, where I like to go just to shake my head at the ignorance of the people that shop there. It feels like a $30 boombox, very cheap and of course has that 'wave radio' sound. It makes sound from about 150hz-12,000 with clearly audible peaks in the midrange. I guess that's what makes people think they sound good.

As far as the MP3 question..I have some 256k MP3's that I find unlistenable. Treble is swishy and it sounds like all the dynamics are stripped from the music. The only use I have for MP3's is on the computer so I can sample stuff before buying the CD.

You can plug an iPod into any powered speaker..why waste $200 on a Bose thing? Go to Walmart and get some $30 Altec Lansings with a subwoofer. You'll get far better sound.

Right. Everyone who buys iPods and/or Bose gear is a total moron and everyone who knows better is a member of this or some other forum.

Give me a break. Some of the ridiculous pompous commentary regarding "grades" of quality of sound is unbelieveable. While I may not express myself clearly on some days after having had a nip or two, I will tell you this: the Bose bashing and "upppitttty" commentary regarding certain products is played out. It's old. The extreme language used to rate some things is childish and ruins credibility as a source of information is.

This Guy
03-02-2005, 01:47 PM
If you love this Bose thing so much, why are you so offended when someone says they don't like it? You sound like the biased one by being so insecure. I don't understand why people get so hyped up over what someone said over the INTERNET, I'm not just talking about you Aldo.

Shwamdoo
03-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Fighting on the internet is like running a race in the special olympics...

Even if you win, you're still retarded. :)

P.S. Let the poor guy be. If he is content with his $200.00 BOSE SoundDock purchase then it has served its purpose. Did he make an informed decision? That can be debated. But he probably wouldn't want to know even if he didn't. Besides, a large portion of the world is perfectly happy with their mass market audio and video equipment and they could care less if it performs well. To these people audio and video equipment is an appliance. They want fancy looking equipment with lots of gadgets, bright lights, a large brand name stamped on the front, and a claim that their product is a technological masterpiece derived from years of research. They simply don't want to hear about the realm of high fidelity because it makes them feel foolish about their previous purchases. Ignorance is bliss.

Shwamdoo
03-02-2005, 08:43 PM
I simply stated that you probably didn't want to hear that what you bought was crap because you either don't care or you would rather believe that it is good than know that it isn't.

Aric M L
03-03-2005, 12:00 AM
It really is ridiculous that you all can rip this guy to pieces so harshly because of his tastes. Granted I am not a Bose fan. I however do listen to my music in a certain personalized way, I usually adjust the bass up a little bit and sometimes the high end too. A lot of people think thats blasphemous and the "wrong" way to listen to music. But there is no wrong way. If Aldo enjoys the sound characteristics of his Bose system I'm glad he bought it, I wouldn't, but thats as far as it goes. I have family members who have different tastes in music or other priorities much higher than learning to listen to music "correctly" and I let them be in their ways.

What it seems a lot of people here dont quite get is that it doesn't matter 1% what other people think of your equipment, taste in music or listening habits. All that matters is you enjoy listening. If I had a million dollar dream system that made me the envy of everyone who "knows" about audio, but I preferred my current system.. You bet that would be sold and I'd be back in my room listening to what I have now and totally ignoring the shaking heads from anyone else.

N. Abstentia
03-03-2005, 04:06 AM
I don't think it's so much the fact that he bought a Bose sounddock that offends everyone. He likes it, fine.

I think it's more of the fact of the implication that you NEED a Bose sounddock to "make your music come to life". That's typical Bose snobbishness.

The day I need anything Bose to make my music "come to life" is the day I quit listening to music.

Shwamdoo
03-03-2005, 05:11 AM
I got in trouble... :rolleyes:

Aldo WIngate
03-18-2005, 10:49 AM
I don't think it's so much the fact that he bought a Bose sounddock that offends everyone. He likes it, fine.

I think it's more of the fact of the implication that you NEED a Bose sounddock to "make your music come to life". That's typical Bose snobbishness.

The day I need anything Bose to make my music "come to life" is the day I quit listening to music.
You NEED this thing to really make an iPod liven a room like your hotel room, or something where you'd have a small gathering and want a wide selection as background.

Now, none of this is rocket science and nothing is a bad as some of the so called "audiophiles" who bash Bose say it is regularly. While my tastes and ideas may seem crude to some of you "authorities on audio", the bottom line is that in this product I have found something good. You cannot argue with dollars and these things have sold like hotcakes.

I just wish that for ONCE, somebody would stop making such dramatic statements and using harsh language to express the disdain you have for an inanimate object. It really is mind boggling - and juvenile!

edtyct
03-18-2005, 11:37 AM
People will be prone to "dramatic statements and harsh language" in response to a post that contains its own dramatic statements and hyperbolic language. Being rude and insulting is no way to behave in civilized company--whether you started it or are just joining the fray in mid-stream. But constructive criticism on a forum like this one is to be expected; you're not going to get people to agree with you just because you have a product that you love. The principle, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all," doesn't apply in this context. A forum is an opportunity to exercise judgment and criticism. If you expose your tastes and loyalties to a cross-section of well-informed people, be prepared to hear what you may not like. My feeling is that opinions, facts, etc., can always be expressed in a friendly manner. Most people who introduce a product here do it tentatively; they'd don't announce that they've found the holy grail and dare everyone to disagree.

If Bose's products have a bad name in some circles, then they've earned it. It's hard to sustain arbitrary dislike for very long. If you like your Bose product, that's fine. You don't have to share anyone else's values in audio, and they don't have to share yours. In point of fact, however, you can argue with dollars. A very good marketing department, and heavy sales to a public seduced by price and convenience, is no guarantee of quality in everyone's eyes. I say this with all due respect. I have a friend who designs pro audio equipment for Bose, and I am about to review Bose's new Personal Amplification System as an electronic percussionist. Though I'm not a big fan of Bose consumer electronics, I'm thrilled about the PAS, which is a truly revolutionary product, and I will have no problem with objectivity.

Ed

Aldo WIngate
03-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Yeah, right. In other words "Bose sucks, unless I can make money off them, in which case I SHALL REMAIN OBJECTIVE!" You're pathetic and stupid enough to acknowledge it! Priceless!

Give me a break. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say you're phony. You snobs who have an opinion are outnumbered. The people that buy the product think otherwise. Or are they just ignoranant? I know that's the next point you'll come up with in this futile attempt to be "above it all".

edtyct
03-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Aldo,

Just so that you don't get the wrong idea, I'm not replying to you. It was naive of me to have tried the first time (by the way, a word to the wise, the correct spelling of the word is "ignorant"). But just in case anyone else might care, I'm not getting a penny from Bose, nor would I review a product if I did.

Ed

N. Abstentia
03-18-2005, 08:15 PM
Nothing sadder than a grown man trying to convince himself that he actually likes the product that he blindly bought and later found out that it's not worth the price he overpaid.

Aldo WIngate
03-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Aldo,

Just so that you don't get the wrong idea, I'm not replying to you. It was naive of me to have tried the first time (by the way, a word to the wise, the correct spelling of the word is "ignorant"). But just in case anyone else might care, I'm not getting a penny from Bose, nor would I review a product if I did.

Ed

You've never heard of a "typo"? What a child!

Aldo WIngate
03-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Nothing sadder than a grown man trying to convince himself that he actually likes the product that he blindly bought and later found out that it's not worth the price he overpaid.

Oh man, I fell outta the chair on that one.

No, wait a second .... you're insulting me .... now I am so crushed and hurt that I think I'll just slink away as the pathetic bafoon I really am for I thought a Bose product was good. I've been fooled just like the other feeble minded idiots that buy Bose products.

You're so right Mr. Abstentia. How could I ever question or argue with one so clever as to call himself such a name, Mr. Abstentia?

N. Abstentia
03-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Did I mention your name? No, you're just assuming I'm talking about you. You just proved your guilt :)

And I'm not going to get into a 'name war' with a person named 'Aldo'.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Gentlemen, this has gotten a little too personal. Since no new information is being exchanged, I am closing this thread.