DVD Player Expertise.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player Expertise....

audiobill
02-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi, Folks!!

Usually, you will find me posting on the RaveRecs board of the AudioReviewForums, but I need some expert advice.

I need to buy a DVD player that will play almost all formats without hiccups. It needs to have progscan, component cable capability optical cable capability & superb picture/sound for movie DVDs.

Currently, I hav a 122" diagonal screen with a Sanyo ceiling projector. My 5.1 set-up is with very nice Paradigm speakers, Pioneer surround receiver "7.1", and a very good Panasonic DVD player. (the entired ht system is about two and a half yrs old)

Problem is........the Panasonic will not play some of the dual-layered discs that I'm buying as imports from China (NTSC, region 1). I know it's not the discs' fault, since my daughter's portable "no-name" DVD player will play these with ease.

Please....give me a few suggestions of Solid DVD players (don't want to spend more than $200.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill aka audiobill

audiobill
02-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Please....give me a few suggestions of Solid DVD players (don't want to spend more than $200.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill aka audiobill[/QUOTE]

Surely one of you can name a DVD player that you would recommend that seems to play most DVD formats & that's relatively new on the market??

Cheers, and thanks,
Bill

jamison162
02-28-2005, 07:19 PM
I would recommend any Denon DVD player. If I were you, I would save up for the Denon DVD 1910 for $250. Just my opinion. I own a DVD 2200 and will prolly upgrade to the DVD 2910 this year.

You could get a BStock from DakMart, an authorized Denon Dealer.

Read the reviews here: http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_325680_1587crx.aspx

paul_pci
02-28-2005, 08:34 PM
JVC makes decent DVD players for under $200. A lot ot them will play DVD audio but probably not SACD for that price.

Slosh
03-01-2005, 12:34 AM
For under $200 (Canadian?) I'd get the little Pioneer DV-578, or better yet, last year's Pioneer 563 if you can still find one. Pioneer DVD players tend to last a lot longer than most other brands, at least in my experience.

audiobill
03-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks-a-ton for your suggestions, folks.

Tonight or tomorrow, I'll go to see if the local big box stores carry any of the DVD players you suggest.

There was an article in "ConsumerReports" that shows the Pioneer that Sloshy is suggesting as being capable of playing the most formats. I'm leaning towards the Pioneer DV-578-a.

I'll let you all know what I decide.

Thanks, again,
Bill

Hawkeye
03-01-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm leaning towards the Pioneer DV-578-a.
I'll let you all know what I decide.
Thanks, again,
Bill I have the 563A and its not bad for the price I paid, US$99. I had to get the firmware upgraded to get it to play certain DVD-A's - Steely Dan's Gaucho for one. Plays fine now. It plays both SACD's and DVD-A's, mp3's, VCD's, cds.....etc. It also plays burned dvd's where the same dvd's played on my friend's Denon 2200 gives him fits. I don't have mine hooked to a great tv so I can't comment on the video portion. I have read more than once that the 563A is a bit better at audio, and the 578 is a bit better at video. Good luck.