Home Theatre room size? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Theatre room size?

Lord Nikon
02-27-2005, 07:22 PM
I may be finishing my basement in the near future and my plans include a room for my home theatre system. Currently my equipment is in the living room, but this new room would be dedicated to the cause. I know the room should be a rectangle, but what is a good size for the room?

paul_pci
02-27-2005, 08:55 PM
I may be finishing my basement in the near future and my plans include a room for my home theatre system. Currently my equipment is in the living room, but this new room would be dedicated to the cause. I know the room should be a rectangle, but what is a good size for the room?

Here is my completely uninformed suggestion: work from the TV outward. As you are aware there are guidelines as to what the optimal distance should be between the size of the monitor and the seating position. Start there. Work your way back length-wise and where and how far you wish to have your rears. Then work up an equilateral triangle for the fronts to the seating position. That's my shot in the dark to get you started. The important thing is that we'll all be invited over when it's done.

Lord Nikon
02-28-2005, 06:13 AM
How far should the surround backs be from the seating position?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-28-2005, 09:08 AM

At least 4-5 feet is my estimation. Or the same distance as your L/R surrounds are from the seating position.

paul_pci
02-28-2005, 12:09 PM

I think the conventional wisdom is that you wouldn't want the rears too close so that they distract from the entire sound field, but not too far away so as to diminish their contribution. Mind are about 6 feet away, lateral to the listening position, more out of necessity than choice, but I think even that distance works well.

Lord Nikon
02-28-2005, 12:44 PM
I am aiming more for how big the room needs to be, then how much space I have. Estimating my L/R Mains will be 7' apart, seating position from couch to tv will be 9'. So to give the mains at least 1' to the side wall and the back wall. Blah my brain is too tired to wrap this around today.

paul_pci
02-28-2005, 08:32 PM
I am aiming more for how big the room needs to be, then how much space I have. Estimating my L/R Mains will be 7' apart, seating position from couch to tv will be 9'. So to give the mains at least 1' to the side wall and the back wall. Blah my brain is too tired to wrap this around today.

Here's a question: It sounds like you're going to be using existing equipment, so what sized room do your speakers perform best in: small, medium, large? You could use that in conjunction with the TV size to carve out the right sized room.