Kam
02-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Best Picture: The Aviator
Best Director: Clint Eastwood
Best Actor: Jamie Foxx
Best Actress: Hilary Swank
Adapted Screenplay: Sideways
Original Screenplay: Eternal Sunshine

now i actually need to go out and see these movies!
time to catch up on some movie viewing.

peace
k2

Worf101
02-27-2005, 01:53 PM
You're right, but this is a tough year to handicap anything. I personally think Scorcese with get Best Director nod though. Eastwoods got his already for The Unforgiven. Martin's way overdo. That's what Hollywood does, you know that..

Da Worfster :cool:

RGA
02-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Yeah but what do you think SHOULD win. Of the best picture nominations I have seen all but Finding Neverland.

Ray *** / ***** (needed another run through the editing department - it's overlong and repetitive. Excellent performance by Foxx)

Sideways ***1/2 / ***** (smart funny and more anal than audiophiles :p Strong film about fear to live).

Aviator ***1/2 / ***** (fascinating though somwhat shallow biopick of Howard Hughes not up to Scorcese's best works but certainly one of the best films of the year).

Million Dollar Baby ****1/2 / ***** (The Shawshank Redemption meets Rocky in Clint Eastwood's best film to date about a female boxer iwith the desire of living out her dreams no matter what obstacles are in her way. Morgan Freeman anchors the picture proving he is one of if not the best American actor of the last 30 years or so. Eastwood turns in arguably his best performance to date.

Other films that might have taken a spot here:

Kill Bill Vol. 2
**** /***** (A strange yet vividly entertaining slice of 70s samurai with Tarantino dialogue and just downright joyful entertainment that surpasses most of what it pays homage to. Certainly taste will influence negatively on any oscar nominations. This assists vol 1 and is suited better as a suingular film.

Farenheit 9/11
****1/2 / *****
Michael Moore probably railroaded himself at getting an oscar nomination and his acceptance speach for Bowling for Columbine may not have helped. Though Cannes had it right regardless of political posturing - as art few films were as riotously funny and at the same time heartwrenching. Documentary or mocumentary -- it's importance to the discussion and to freedom of speech in a Twainian fashion will leave an indellible mark on the history of film more so than any other of 2004.

Kam
02-28-2005, 07:09 AM
and i got both best supporting guesses right too! really thought aviator would pick up best picture as 'consolation' but that's totally on guessing since the only one i've seen so far is Finding Neverland and have no idea how they all compare. hope to catch them all sometime next week and can finally review em! better late than never