Soul Music Sunday... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Soul Music Sunday...

nobody
02-27-2005, 07:12 AM
Recent thread on Soul Music got me grabbing records right and left for some weekend listening. It started yesterday, but with not much to do today, I got a pot of coffe going, a little something to smoke, and a stack of vinyl ready to go...

The Chi-Lites - Lonely Man
The Spinners - Best of the Spinners
The Delfonics - La-La Means I love You
Sam Cooke - Best of
Ray Charles - Sweet & Sour Tears & Modern Sounds in Country Western
The Miracles - Hi, We're the Miracles
Al Green - Greatest Hits
A Platters and a Drifters record...the Motown Singles Collection on 4 CDs...

Should keep me busy today. Got some soulful jazz like Hank Crawford, and Coltrane's record with Johnny Hartman ready just in case I need some more.

Nice warmer than it should be day with the windows open and nice cool breeze coming through...

Hope all your Sunday's are going well...

Worf101
02-27-2005, 01:44 PM
I had a soul day yesterday.... it kinda went like this...

1. Issac Hayes - Best of Vols. 1 and 2

2. The Dells - 2 Disc Best of.

3. Delfonics - My own compliation...

Guess I was in a romantic kinda mood...Hope your day went good as well...

Da Worfster :cool:

paper warrior
03-01-2005, 04:04 AM
how about some fine Sam and Dave? NPR had an "earthy" story about the Dozier-Holland-Dozier songwriting team about how they got a title for one of their songs. One of them was in the toilet and when they called him he went "Hold on I'm comin".
That's what they said anyway.

Worf101
03-01-2005, 03:34 PM
how about some fine Sam and Dave? NPR had an "earthy" story about the Dozier-Holland-Dozier songwriting team about how they got a title for one of their songs. One of them was in the toilet and when they called him he went "Hold on I'm comin".
That's what they said anyway.
Couple of things bug me though.. The team was always Holland Dozier and Holland., and second... Same and Dave were on Stax/Atlantic HDH were purely Motown at the point that song was written. I may be mistaken, but I bet I'm not.

Da "Hey I grew up wit dat music" Worfster :cool:

skewiff
03-01-2005, 04:20 PM
The quote is correct , but it was made by David Porter speaking to Isaac Hayes who'd gone looking for DP because he was holding up a recording session.

Nothing whatsoever to do with H.D.H.

Tony

skewiff
03-01-2005, 04:37 PM
All my days are Soul days some more than others, some good titles there I will add

Candi Staton s/t
Bettye Swann complete singles
Donny Hatherway all his work, Killed himself what a waste.
Doris Duke I'm a Loser. Just released on cd from '72
Bill Withers Still Bill/Just as I am
Bobby Womack Understanding /Communication, Facts of Life. I find his albums to be a bit spotty, there's a really good 2 cd collection worth looking for.

Tony

paper warrior
03-02-2005, 03:43 AM
'scuuze me.Not the first time or last time I'm going to be wrong. I like to think if my memory's hazy at least it's in the right spirit.

Worf101
03-02-2005, 09:28 AM
'scuuze me.Not the first time or last time I'm going to be wrong. I like to think if my memory's hazy at least it's in the right spirit.
I'm NOT a know it all on things muscial, but '60's soul.... ah that's my meat. And your last comment is the best I've heard in some time, "in the right spirit". We here all know that music is a spiritual medium and often a spiritual event. You'll never get bashed from me for being enthusiastic about anything musical. More music, less misery if you ask me.

Da Worfster :cool:

paper warrior
03-02-2005, 01:11 PM
slinking away..