Axiom or B&W [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Axiom or B&W

Jimf
02-27-2005, 06:14 AM
I have narrowed my search for new front speakers down to B&W603s Which I have listened to and really like. And Axiom M60TI speakers which I researched but never had a chance to hear.But I like the price.Has anybody listened to both and can give me some advice on the difference between the 2.Are the B&Ws that much better to justify paying almost double?

Thanks Jim

enrique
02-27-2005, 06:22 AM
I have the 603s3's and love them.I have never heard any axioms so i cant say how they are.Others have said they are good speakers.You hd the 603s3 and liked them,if you order the axioms and dont like them you will have to ship them back.Thats the chance you take for ordering unheard.I guess you will have to weigh if its worth the chance.But if it were me and heard a pr of speakers i knew i liked thats where i would go.What sounds good to others may or maynot sound good to you.

nightflier
02-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Coming from the other side, I have not heard the 603's (although I've read very positive reviews). The Axiom's on the other hand, I have heard. I have auditioned both the M60 and M80's. The latter are 4ohm speakers, so that may be why you're considering the M60's. In either case, they both sound incredible, very good detail, spacialization, and clarity, particularly in the mid-range. I heard the M60's at a ranch that a friend of mine has and we were able to crank them up to ear-bleeding levels and they just kept up with the 300W Adcom amp. Amazing speakers, and to think they will play just as well connected to a 10W tube amp... I was very impressed.

Whiever speaker you choose, you're still talking about a fair amount of money. If you want to be sure, audition the Axioms in your home. Contact Axiom and tell them that you are comparing them to other speakers and they may give you a break on shipping. I've spoken to them many times over the phone and via email and their customer support fast, knowledgeable, and courteous every time.

I'm curious, though: why only these two speaker makes? In the $1K-2K range, there are a lot of very good options. The Axioms and the B&Ws are very different speakers, on many levels.

Jimf
02-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Coming from the other side, I have not heard the 603's (although I've read very positive reviews). The Axiom's on the other hand, I have heard. I have auditioned both the M60 and M80's. The latter are 4ohm speakers, so that may be why you're considering the M60's. In either case, they both sound incredible, very good detail, spacialization, and clarity, particularly in the mid-range. I heard the M60's at a ranch that a friend of mine has and we were able to crank them up to ear-bleeding levels and they just kept up with the 300W Adcom amp. Amazing speakers, and to think they will play just as well connected to a 10W tube amp... I was very impressed.

Whiever speaker you choose, you're still talking about a fair amount of money. If you want to be sure, audition the Axioms in your home. Contact Axiom and tell them that you are comparing them to other speakers and they may give you a break on shipping. I've spoken to them many times over the phone and via email and their customer support fast, knowledgeable, and courteous every time.

I'm curious, though: why only these two speaker makes? In the $1K-2K range, there are a lot of very good options. The Axioms and the B&Ws are very different speakers, on many levels.
Why only these two? Well I have listened to a couple of other brands and prefered the B&Ws over them. Not a very large selection up in Northern Ontario.And as for the Axioms I like the reviews Ive read and its only a 3 hour drive to actully pick them up in Barrie at the outlet.

shokhead
03-01-2005, 06:28 AM
If i were getting speakers today for my 2805,i'd try the M22ti. I'd do 4 and at only 400 bucks a pair,get a killer SVSubwoofer,nice stands and a great matching center.

newbsterv2
03-01-2005, 06:56 AM
If you're going to spend about $1,200 on speakers I would go with great bookshelves instead of floorstanders. Then again it all depends on your musical preference and the size of your room. Tell us that information.

I have narrowed my search for new front speakers down to B&W603s Which I have listened to and really like. And Axiom M60TI speakers which I researched but never had a chance to hear.But I like the price.Has anybody listened to both and can give me some advice on the difference between the 2.Are the B&Ws that much better to justify paying almost double?

Thanks Jim

topspeed
03-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Seems to me you've already answered your own question:

I have listened to a couple of other brands and prefered the B&Ws over them The B&W's have one of the highest resale values of any speaker, so that should give you some idea as to the quality of the product and their reputation. Still, with Axiom's return policy, it shouldn't be too hard to actually do a side-by-side comparo using your own rig, which is ideal. Why not borrow some B&W's from your dealer, order the Axioms, and have them face each other mano-a-mano? Sure, you'll have to pay for the return shipping if you don't like the Axioms, but at least you'll know for sure which is the one for you. No one here can say which is better because we don't have your taste, room acoustics, or ears.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Seamus
03-02-2005, 08:01 PM

Thanks Jim
JimF
I own the M60s, and I am amazed at their sound every day.
I did do a blind comparison between the B&W 703s and the M60s and literally could not tell them apart. I also had a very close friend do the same comparison (he didnt believe me) and he came to the same conclusion.
IN MY OPINION you cannot beat the quality of the M60s for the price.
Are there better speakers out there? Yes, but your going to pay BIG bucks for them.
I'm even more impressed with the QS8 surrounds.

elbarono
03-03-2005, 01:37 AM
What about the Onix RS550 MKII's vs. the M60?

Seamus
03-03-2005, 10:20 AM
I havent listened to any of the Onix speakers....yet...., but I've heard great things about them.
There are alot of GREAT speakers out there. There are also alot of duds.
Bottom line is listen to as many speakers as you can in the same enviroment, and pick the one that sounds best TO YOU in your price range.
Remember it is only YOUR OPINION that counts.

RGA
03-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Well being in Canada and with a budget of $1200.00 I would try and listen to speakers from the following companies -- These are standmounts but Audio note AX Two (550) but there is a new AX three which might fall into this price range and may also be good - there are dealers in Ontario, Dynaudio Audience 42 and 52, Gershman Acoustics X1 or possibly the Camelion, PMC TB2+. There are many others getting lots of talk that may be worth listening t such as speakers from Quad, Green Mountain Audio, Von Sweikert, Spender, Jean Marie Reynaud, Harbeth etc.

http://www.audionote.co.uk/
http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/tb2s.html
http://www.dynaudio.com/
http://www.gershmanacoustics.com/ (Canadian made) http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0702/gershman.htm

Make sure you can listen to and return speakers you don't like.