Pat D or any other Classical Music Buffs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pat D or any other Classical Music Buffs

Jack in Wilmington
02-26-2005, 07:39 PM
The other day I was listening to the local classical music station, and they were playing a work that really grabbed me. All I got was the title "Overture to Oberon". If anybody can help me out with the composer and any other info so that I can find this piece, it would be greatly appreciated.

RGA
02-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Are you thinking of Weber. http://www.hornexcerpts.org/excerpt_pages/weberOO/weberOO_1.html

Jack in Wilmington
02-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Are you thinking of Weber. http://www.hornexcerpts.org/excerpt_pages/weberOO/weberOO_1.html
That might be it. I'll check it out. Thanks RGA
By the way did you get your new amp yet?

RGA
02-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi yes I bought the OTO SE -- I wrote about it in the general page http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=9866

Jack in Wilmington
02-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Hi yes I bought the OTO SE -- I wrote about it in the general page http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=9866
That's a winner RGA. It's Carl Maria von Weber. Found it on Tower Records web site, now I have to try and choose which performance will sound the best out of all the ones listed.
Thanks again.

Pat D
02-27-2005, 07:11 PM
The other day I was listening to the local classical music station, and they were playing a work that really grabbed me. All I got was the title "Overture to Oberon". If anybody can help me out with the composer and any other info so that I can find this piece, it would be greatly appreciated.
Hmmm . . . I said, surely it cannot be that I have no recording of the Overture to Oberon, but the Weber Overtures are certainly a gap in my CD collection.

Well, I started looking in my LP collection . . . nothing under Weber at all . . . but there are those old Audio Fidelity recordings of overtures . . . where on earth did I put them? . . . Ahh! There! In the beginning of the opera recordings . . . and it's on one of them! Audio Fidelity Stereodisc FCS 50,011, with Arthur Winograd conducting The Virtuoso Symphony of London, whoever they may have been. And a very fine recording it is, too.

Ha! I said to myself, "Ol' Jack didn't catch me out."

Actually, it's only in the past two or three that I started getting systematic about overtures, which are a lot of fun: Mozart, Beethoven, Rossini, Berlioz, von Suppe, Auber, and a bunch of others. The Penguin Guide likes the Karajan recording of the Weber overtures best *** and I just may order it as I don't have many Weber overtures.. The Chandos collection with Jarvi is more complete, however, but only gets **(*)

It is no doubt on some miscellaneous collections of overtures, too.

There is a good CD of Weber's Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2, with the Overture and some other music from Weber's Turandot and a couple of other pieces on Naxos 8.550928. No Oberon Overture though. His symphonies kind of sound like overtures, actually, but they're good. If you like the Oberon Overture, you'll probably like this CD, too.

-Jar-
02-28-2005, 08:33 AM
my "gateway drug" to Classical music was a CBS Masterworks album of overtures my mother had called "Curtain Raisers" - basically, it was a collection of all the classic overtures as done up by Lenny B. & NY, Gene-O & Philly, and Gee Daddy Szell w/ Cleveland. I think they were probably mostly 70's recordings, but they all rocked.

A great collection that totally got me addicted and started me on my journey towards Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Mahler and all the other greats..

-jar

Jack in Wilmington
02-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Hmmm . . . I said, surely it cannot be that I have no recording of the Overture to Oberon, but the Weber Overtures are certainly a gap in my CD collection.

Well, I started looking in my LP collection . . . nothing under Weber at all . . . but there are those old Audio Fidelity recordings of overtures . . . where on earth did I put them? . . . Ahh! There! In the beginning of the opera recordings . . . and it's on one of them! Audio Fidelity Stereodisc FCS 50,011, with Arthur Winograd conducting The Virtuoso Symphony of London, whoever they may have been. And a very fine recording it is, too.

Ha! I said to myself, "Ol' Jack didn't catch me out."

Actually, it's only in the past two or three that I started getting systematic about overtures, which are a lot of fun: Mozart, Beethoven, Rossini, Berlioz, von Suppe, Auber, and a bunch of others. The Penguin Guide likes the Karajan recording of the Weber overtures best *** and I just may order it as I don't have many Weber overtures.. The Chandos collection with Jarvi is more complete, however, but only gets **(*)

It is no doubt on some miscellaneous collections of overtures, too.

There is a good CD of Weber's Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2, with the Overture and some other music from Weber's Turandot and a couple of other pieces on Naxos 8.550928. No Oberon Overture though. His symphonies kind of sound like overtures, actually, but they're good. If you like the Oberon Overture, you'll probably like this CD, too.
I did look at the Naxos, but now I have to go back and look for the Karajan.
When I couldn't find the Weber piece, I started looking elsewhere and found a very good DVD with Carlos Kleiber conducting the Wiener Philharmoniker in Mozart's Symphony #36 and Brahms Symphony #2. First time I had seen him conduct. It's a shame we had to lose him.

Pat D
03-02-2005, 11:01 AM
my "gateway drug" to Classical music was a CBS Masterworks album of overtures my mother had called "Curtain Raisers" - basically, it was a collection of all the classic overtures as done up by Lenny B. & NY, Gene-O & Philly, and Gee Daddy Szell w/ Cleveland. I think they were probably mostly 70's recordings, but they all rocked.

A great collection that totally got me addicted and started me on my journey towards Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Mahler and all the other greats..

-jar
When I was a young kid, I used to like von Suppe's Poet and Peasant Overture, among other things my parents would play. I also remember that every year they began the first outdoor concert of the season at Grant Park in Chicago with Rossini's Overture to La Gazza Ladra. Mozart, Beethoven, Rossini, Berlioz, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Weber, Auber, von Suppe, Wagner, Sir Arthur Sullivan, and others wrote great overtures.