Need Yamaha HTR5750 help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Yamaha HTR5750 help

donc
02-26-2005, 08:28 AM
I have a new Yamaha HTR5750 receiver and am a neophite in better equipment, having replaced a 12 yr old JVC receiver. The fact that I am a 60+ retired person may explain where I am. I have 2 questions that the answers to will make my life 100% better in this department.
1. All of my audio inputs come through at about the same level excepting for my TV. I have a Sony WEGA 27" TV, not HD. I have a Sony VCR/DVD (no comments please. It does the job for us.) and a Sony CD changer. The TV input on the tuner must be set to almost max. power to play through the speakers. The other inputs including tuner, play very nicely at less than 1/2 power. Could I have something on the TV hooked incorrectly?
2) My VCR/DVD only plays through the VCR input on the receiver. My component video input from the DVD side of the Sony unit does not work at all. It will play a DVD through the VCR.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

mustang
02-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Go through the menu on your tv to make sure the AUDIO OUTPUT is set to FIXED and not VARIABLE. Turn down the volume on the receiver first!

hershon
02-26-2005, 10:10 PM
I don't know if I'm misreading your post, so if this isn't helpful, my fault. All you have to do to get good TV sound, irregardless of whether your TV is HD etc., on Cable or Satellite, assuming at least its stereo HiFi, is get, I kid you not, a cheap set of RCA plugs, put them on your TV's Audio Out (Probably where it says monitor) and then attrach the RCA's to your receivers TV inputs, alternatively an auxillary in. You should have then excellent clean sound.

godfatherofsoul
02-26-2005, 10:19 PM
I have a new Yamaha HTR5750 receiver and am a neophite in better equipment, having replaced a 12 yr old JVC receiver. The fact that I am a 60+ retired person may explain where I am. I have 2 questions that the answers to will make my life 100% better in this department.
1. All of my audio inputs come through at about the same level excepting for my TV. I have a Sony WEGA 27" TV, not HD. I have a Sony VCR/DVD (no comments please. It does the job for us.) and a Sony CD changer. The TV input on the tuner must be set to almost max. power to play through the speakers. The other inputs including tuner, play very nicely at less than 1/2 power. Could I have something on the TV hooked incorrectly?
2) My VCR/DVD only plays through the VCR input on the receiver. My component video input from the DVD side of the Sony unit does not work at all. It will play a DVD through the VCR.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

On the combo unit, you have to turn on the component outputs if memory serves me. Make sure you also have the progressive output turned off if the unit is progressive scan.
Cheers

donc
03-05-2005, 05:12 AM
Thanks for all of your input. I fianally heard from Yamaha Tech Support after 2 weeks and their reply was basically "too bad". No help at all. After your help, I eliminated the things I did incorrectly and fixed the DVD problem by forgetting Component outlets and buying an optical cord for the connection. DVD works great. I just could not get the Component outlet to work properly. My son is happy with the cords as he did not have to buy new ones for his new setup.
The TV to receiver volume problem I guess that I have to live with. I tried the regular RCA cords with the same result as my monster cords...I have to run the receiver volume at almost top level to play the TV through the speakers regardless of Fixed or Variable on the TV.
Thanks again to all.

Van Wilder
03-05-2005, 07:42 AM
Maybe not a solution, much more an alternative :

Have you tried to use the tv tuner of your VCR instead of the one from your tv?

donc
03-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Maybe not a solution, much more an alternative :

Have you tried to use the tv tuner of your VCR instead of the one from your tv?
Thanks for the thought, but
Yes I did and it works fine (the way everything else does). I'm still hoping someone who knows a lot more than I do will say, Don - this is what is wrong.