Von Schweikert [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Von Schweikert

hmmmm
12-22-2003, 01:23 PM
My friend just bought several Von Schweikert vr4 Gen 3 special editions and a couple of their subwoofers. Anyone here have any of those speakers? Just curious if they are as good as he says. I can' t get over to hear them and I'm not sure if I want too:) I might get speaker envy.

compaqguy
01-17-2004, 11:09 AM
if you would get jelous if your friend had wilson audios, dont go over. many people consider the VSR line to be THE BEST in the industry, with bass that extends BELOW 20hz with no boom what so ever.

not to mention, they are priced a heck of a lot less than wilson audio

RGA
01-17-2004, 11:49 AM
VS is considered to be one of the best speaker lines available...interesting that speakers rarely actually heard fall into that camp.

They are not sold in my province yet but I'm sure they will be if the sounds is as good as the hype.

Saying a speaker is the BEST is subjective, just as saying it's crap is subjective. Reviewers are in the business of guess what the consumer might like and take budget into account. I have read raves of speakers before and oddly the reviewer does not own the speakers but does own 15 other pairs some lower in price so you wonder.

Von Schweikert seems to have a lot of Reference 3a La Suprema in their design so I would expect them to be right up their with the best speakers.

Also the VR1 is a 1k standmount that is widely considered one of if not the best sub 1k standmount. And Of course it interests me because they're smart enough to NOT use the bloody awful metal tweeters. http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/vonschweikert_vr1.htm

46minaudio
01-17-2004, 12:14 PM
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=7200

RGA here is a comparison with the VR1..
Also AVS forum has a good bit of chat about the VR1...Note I post this for your reading enjoyment and have no oppinions either way on the views expressed...
Also just wondering RGA about your thoughts on Acoustic Energy.

RGA
01-17-2004, 01:14 PM
I heard the Aegis one way back when I was auditioning the B&W 302 and Mission M71 and these were the three best speakers by a mile IMO in the price range. The Mission fell a bit to the side because of it's lack of dynamic power and i preferred the treble response of the 302 over the Aegis One.

I have not heard the Evo one because Acoustic Energy is no longer sold in this province, but now that the 303 has lost a step in the treble to the 302 and the Evo has been said to be much improved it may actually be a better speaker than the 303. Of course i can't recommend what I have not heard so until Acoustic Energy gets their foot hold here back the 303 is what reigns king in the price range of what I have actually heard. It's a shame because the AE one is so much better than so many that take up space on shelves creating noise pollution rather than some semblance of the music.

46minaudio
01-17-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks ,,I bought a pair of Aegis ones off ebay brand new(a dealer has them on all the time) for 199 plus shipping$15.Overall I am very impressed.Real maple wood veneer,and they weigh close to 14#s.I myself would prefer more treble energy as you say, however they are set up in my bar 6.5 ' off the floor on wall brackets and angled down.So the setup is bad and I am aware properly set up they could eaisly lose this trait. ANd really the only time it bothers me is a low levels..In this set up they need to be turned up befroe they start to sound good..The bass on AEs for the small size is good.If I had to guess the start to drop at about 55hz..My wife bought me a pair of Titans. These are back rears for my new DPLIIx 7.1 set up.These have never been used in anything except back rears so I really cannot comment on their proformance.I refused to pay $600 for a pair of studio 20s only to hear them when watching non 5.1.I am one to be happy with what I have and will usually leave it that way for a long time.One day I may unhook both the AEs and the Titans and compare them side by side and give some impressions..Did you get a chance to read the VR1 link I posted...

RGA
01-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Is there something specific you wanted me to read because it goes on for five pages of people blathering about tube amps and a comparison fo three speakers that no one seems to actually compare until page 5 and then the info was pretty slight.

ryewoods
01-17-2004, 06:41 PM
Albert Von Schweikert makes superb speakers. My buddy owns a set of the VR-1's, and they are one of the best set of bookshelf speakers I have ever heard at any price...ever. They have some B-Stock available on audiogon for less than $550 and I am seriously considering buying them. Von Schweikert is one of the manufacturers on my very short list who I would actually consider buying from.