She's Still got Chops - Ronstadt [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : She's Still got Chops - Ronstadt

BarryL
02-25-2005, 01:30 PM
If you liked her standards with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra, or you're into smooth jazz, then you might enjoy Linda Ronstadt's recent Hummin' To Myself. She sings standards with a small ensemble, including Christian McBride, Roy Hargrove and Peter Erskine.

I'm a Ronstadt fan, but have been terribly disappointed by her recent releases. Ronstadt is dependent on song selection, given she just sings and doesn't write. I just think her choices haven't been good lately, and it's not like there aren't good songs out there to choose from. I'd be happy if she stuck to the standards and continued to put out albums like this.

shokhead
02-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Is it in english? She's one of the top female singers but nothing good for me in quite afew years.

BarryL
02-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Is it in english? She's one of the top female singers but nothing good for me in quite afew years.

Yeah, didn't she do one or two in Spanish? This isn't a must have album, but it's not a bad Ronstadt album. If you don't get it, you won't be missing anything, but if you like her, I think its about a 7 out of 10 album. It's very safe and middle of the road. Something with a more traditional jazz sound would have been nice, and would have shown her willingness to take some chances. This is old familiar romantic territory, IMO. But it's mellow and relaxing. Could have use a full orchestra, especially on I'll Be Seeing You.