TGIF! What's your song of the day? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TGIF! What's your song of the day?

ForeverAutumn
02-25-2005, 07:22 AM
Mine, this week, is definately And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead's Will You Smile Again?.

See my mini-rave in the Tunesday thread. Even if I hated the rest of the CD (which I don't) it would have been worth the price for this one song. I'm sure that others will disagree with me, but this is the standout track on the CD IMHO.

And on a slightly different note....how did I ever survive without an iPod? I've had this thing for less than a week and I'm already addicted to it. It's with me everywhere. I just need an FM adapter so that I can play it in the car. Hmmmm.....maybe next paycheque (that's "paycheck" for my American friends ;)) . :D

Stone
02-25-2005, 08:54 AM
I have the cover of "Hounds of Love" by the Futureheads as an earworm today, but I think I've already picked that one as a song of the day. So instead, I'll pick "A Wish Away" by the Wonder Stuff off the great album The Eight Legged Groove Machine. Someone over at obner mentioned the Wonder Stuff so I pulled out this CD and spun it last night. The song is the centerpiece of the album for me, and unfortunately on later albums, they never sounded like this (or this good IMO) again. It's one of the few songs on the album where they sound serious in their lyrics, but the any such seriousness doesn't take away from the energy of the song. "A Wish Away" is a catchy, infectious rock/power pop number that hasn't lost its lustre over the years.

(Chorus):
I wish you were here
I wish you were here now that you've gone
(wish you were, wish you were, wish you were, wish you were here)
I wish you were here
I wish you were here now that you've gone
(wish you were, wish you were, wish you were, wish you were here)

I remember the time when I was feeling down
And I never, ever wished you were here
And then there was a time when I was feeling down
And I never ever shed a tear
I remember the sound when I hit the ground
Somebody called it fear
But now I need a hug
And now I need a love
And I really, really wish you were here

(Chorus)

I remember the time when I was feeling down
And I never, ever wished you were here
And then there was a time when I was feeling down
And I never ever shed a tear
I remember what I found when I hit the ground
Somebody called it fear
But now I need a hug
And now I need a love
And I really, really wish you were here

I wish you were here
I wish you were here

I wish you were here
I wish you were
I wish you were here
I wish you were

I wish you were, I wish you were here
I wish you were, I wish you were here
When I was lonely I wished you were here

Mr MidFi
02-25-2005, 09:42 AM
No doubt that my song of the day/week/month is "Nowhere Again" by The Secret Machines. I can't get enough of it. Like FA was saying, it's worth the price of the disc.

Oh, and FA...I know I've mentioned it before, but look into the iTrip FM attachment, by Griffin. It does a good job, and doesn't require batteries. I'm listening to it right this second.

NP: Nirvana, "All Apologies"

Slosh
02-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Opposite Day as performed by Andrew Bird

I got home this morning with the sun right in my eyes
there was no warning as it took me by surprise
hit me like an act of god causing my alarm
that I'd not become a cephalopod
I still had legs and arms
and today was supposed to be the day
molecules decided to change their form
the laws of physics lose their sway
youthful indiscretion is suddenly the norm
with the good kids sprouting horns
and today was supposed to be not just another day
today was supposed to be opposite day

and those who can't quite function in society at large
are gonna wake up this morning and find that they're in charge
while those the world's set up for
who are really doing quite well
gonna wake up in institutions, in prison, or in hell
and today was supposed to be opposite day

NP: Enon - Lost Marbles And Exploded Evidence (maybe I'll find another song of the day here :) )

Davey
02-25-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm gonna go with one my twilight loving buddy newtrix mentioned the other day, Annie Mae by the Twilight Singers. Great album and great great song. I love the way the previous song "Love" kind of segues into the more urgent "Annie Mae" so I combined them into one track on my Twilight comp and thought it was the highlight in a great set of songs. I liked that album so much in fact that I borrowed the title and some of the lyrics for my little piece of "artwork" on the comp cover.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/twilight.jpg

Anyway, it's one of the few CDs that made the trip with me from AZ a few months ago in my special CD travel caddy (empty Sierra Nevada 12-pack) and after seeing Tricky's post the other day I had to pull it out and wound up spinning it a couple times over the next days. But there's a song called "Jesus" on that new Hellsayers album that really melts my face into a smile when it evolves into this blissful Spiritualized meets Crazy Horse second half, after they crank the guitar amps up past 11 ....

Dave_G
02-25-2005, 10:06 AM
XTC - "Love on a Farmboy's Wages".

Off of Murmur.

Muy excelliente.

Dave

Mr MidFi
02-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Dave_G: Wasn't that one from English Settlement?

-Jar-
02-25-2005, 10:20 AM
"Chasing Heather Crazy" by Guided by Voices

Just when I think I've found GBV's most catchy song, I find one that's even catchier than the others. Definately an earworm.

2nd place would be "Carry the Zero" by Built to Spill. I think it might be my favorite B2S song, at least of the ones I've heard.

-jar

tentoze
02-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Either "The Sporting Life" or "Eli The Barrow Boy", both from Decemberists' Picaresque.

Davey
02-25-2005, 10:49 AM
....both from Decemberists' Picaresque.
Hey, no fair! That's cheating! You indie hipster geezer insider!

Davey
02-25-2005, 10:54 AM
XTC - "Love on a Farmboy's Wages".

Off of Murmur.

Muy excelliente.

Dave
Ummm, Murmur. Nice album and nice song. I remember buying it on import vinyl when it was new and loving it. Gentle music and a beautiful sound too. XTC got no respect in the US back in those days before "Dear God". Shame.

Mr MidFi
02-25-2005, 11:03 AM
I stand corrected. It was, indeed, Mummer. Don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Davey
02-25-2005, 11:04 AM
I stand corrected. It was, indeed, Mummer. Don't know what the hell I was thinking.
No no no! Now you're thinking of REM!

;)

Hehehe, Dave and Dave don't know their XTC album titles very well!

umapet97
02-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Cannot get enough of the Killers Hotfuss;have it on repeat.
Somethin bout the synths I find addicting

Woochifer
02-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Well, just posted the link to a NY Times article on Pat Metheny (and the various artists that influenced him). And I'm seeing him in concert next Thursday, so it would stand to reason that something from him would be my song for the day!

The one that popped up first was "Something To Remind You" from We Live Here.

nobody
02-25-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm going with...

<b>Always Something There to Remind You</b> by Naked Eyes

just because I heard it at the gas station this morning and found it quite pleasant.

and, the last post just reminded me of that fact...

Dusty Chalk
02-25-2005, 01:28 PM
The Out_Circuit, "We Will End" -- starts out all nice and ambient-ish, then some nice guitars slice through the mix, tres heavenly.

Ex Lion Tamer
02-25-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm going with...

<b>Always Something There to Remind You</b> by Naked Eyes

just because I heard it at the gas station this morning and found it quite pleasant.

and, the last post just reminded me of that fact...

Good thing that post was there to remind you about <b>Always Something There to Remind You</b> I guess there really is always something there to remind you. :D (Can't believe I just typed that.)

On my third listen of Miles Davis Milestones..man what a lineup. How's this for heavyweights: Cannonball Adderley, John Coltrane, Red Garland, Philly Joe Jones and Paul Chambers? Wow!

Anyway, my song of the day is this sextets recording of Monk's Straight, No Chaser. Man o man does it cook.

tentoze
02-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey, no fair! That's cheating! You indie hipster geezer insider!
Cheaters win. Pre-order it, Scrooge-o.............

:p

Finch Platte
02-26-2005, 04:13 AM
"A Wish Away" is a catchy, infectious rock/power pop number that hasn't lost its lustre over the years.[/i]

They had lots of good songs, imo. Thanks- I'll have to take 'em out for a spin today.

fp

KEXPMF
02-26-2005, 10:20 AM
a brand new song...

Beck - "E-Pro"

I can NOT get this out of my head. I'm sure I'll be tired of it after another week. :rolleyes:

KEXPMF
02-26-2005, 10:27 AM
"Nah Nah, Nah-Nah-Nah-Nah Nah"

See I'm singing. I must stop. But it's like an anthem. It will be heard at sporting events and we'll all be so tired of it by then. When you hear this song, you'll laugh at this post.

AND... MindGoneHaywire told me the other day that it samples Beasties drum beats! How cool!

Oh! I have another favorite. Kaiser Chiefs - "I Predict a Riot"
It doesn't sound like it from this decade but it's brand new.